Weekly Set Review: Fright Knight's Batwing Flyer

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

This set is not that great for parts in my opinion. I'd rather have the fire cart that also was sold at Shell stations.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I've actually never have seen this set. From its appearance its really not that attractive unless you want an evil army of bat guys.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

An army of bat soldiers is a good idea... I can just imagine them marching and singing a hymn to the great bat god. Anything is better than the set, it really does not fit into any parameters, and the design should be a negative number (-10/10)! Well, it's cheap (someone said it was for sale for an American dollar), and I suppose The pieces are worth it. I am not that sure about the wings though, they can hardly be assigned any useful purpose outside this set.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well...

It's the fig that makes or breaks the set. That little rocket engine-propelled batwing-mobile is just a bunch of extra pieces for all I care. Not really a "design", persay.

The fig is... okay. I don't mind the torso (although it is a bit difficult to use en masse), the helm is nice to modify (but left alone it's wierd), and the bat staff and sword are okay (but again, a bit awkward in large quantities). Overall, a less than appealing set.

Parts: 2/10
Playability: 4/10
Figs/Accessories: 6.5/10
Design (then): 3/10
Design (now): 3/10
Nostalgie: 4/10

Overall Score: 3.75/10
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Nick -- there is one really good use for black dragon wings: Making black dragons.

I was always annoyed with LEGO dragons having neon/translucent wings. You can attach black wings from this set to black dragons and end up with a dragon that's actually all black.

So they do have a use.. just not -many- uses.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Robin Hood wrote:Even the pieces don't have much going for it. About the only useful pieces are the sword, the shirt and the head.
And the wings. At least there are black wings, and not transparent ones.

Mediocre at best, pathetic at worst.

2/10
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Ahh, so that's it. It’s a good one! I do now notice that the black dragons in the FK theme all have red wings. Having black ones would make more sense. Talking of which, the witches castle http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/6087-1?showpic=1173 has four black wings on that useless witch flyer.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Funny, everybody wants black dragons to have black wings, but I never heard the complaint that green dragons don't come with green wings. :-)

The set is mostly useless. I don't care for any part it comes with. The best thing certainly is the red 2x2 slope. The fig might be useful, too, except for the batcap. -
The flyer probably fuels Shell cerosine...

I always wondered why the bats stand erect? They are supposed to hang upside down. There should be a (hollow) stud instead of a hole at the bat's feet.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Funny, everybody wants black dragons to have black wings, but I never heard the complaint that green dragons don't come with green wings.
True, the green dragon would look much better with green wings, but people tend to overlook this, as the red wings are better suited to green than to black. Also, there aren't any green wings, while black ones are available.
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I complain, privately, about green dragons with red wings all the time. But like Nick said -- most of the issue is that black wings are definitely available, while green wings would invariably be customized paint jobs.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

customized paint jobs
Did you ever try to paint them?