C-C Titles Poll

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.

Why do you post?

I post so I can get to the next rank.
3%
I post just to contribute to the community; the ranks are a nice side benifit.
71%
I give no thought to rank.
26%

Total votes: 38

Mr. D
Councilor

C-C Titles Poll

Post by Mr. D »

Hi!

In the thread "CC Titles" Lar wrote:
Something to think about... if you put too much into the titles, you're going to have people posting just for the sake of posting... .just so they can boost their post count. I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing.
I thought a poll asking if you post to get status or to contribute to the community might help out the admins. Of course, there's always the potential; but I hope this poll speaks for the currant members.

Mr. D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Interesting subject Mr. D, do people really do this or is this just a theory? I post often on a wide variety of subjects, almost always talking well beyond what is necessary to get the point across. It a sickness, I blame it on beetles. Yup beetles, I just don’t like them...

Back to the point? Anyway aside from my obvious lack of time focused on building, I have yet to make a post to up my post totals. Sure I have been a Villein for well over 200 posts and that is a little tiresome. I would never post a message just for the sake of bumping up my total posts. On occasion there is little to say other than great work etc. to someone’s MOC, but I think most of us do try to make our posts somewhat worthwhile.
Hmm... Now what was the point of all this? Thats right, now I remember...

Give us more titles!

Please :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I've heard that on some message boards dominated by less mature members people post lots of meaningless posts just to up their count for some ranking system. This has not happened on any boards I've frequented, though possibly this is because there are many more mature members who would discourage such activity.

There, I just upped my post count. Next rank, here I come!
Bruce :wink:
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Bruce N H wrote:I've heard that on some message boards dominated by less mature members people post lots of meaningless posts just to up their count for some ranking system. This has not happened on any boards I've frequented, though possibly this is because there are many more mature members who would discourage such activity.

There, I just upped my post count. Next rank, here I come!
Bruce :wink:

A poll like this is not really going to get at the truth - I doubt anyone is going to admit that they are going to leave extra messages to advance their count. But someone will do it. They'll have a lot of one-sentence replies like "Good post." "Nice MOC." "Haha! That was funny."

I really wouldn't worry about it that much. Some people are going to post more than me - it's not a contest. I'd rather be a stout Yeoman than an effette Marquis anyway (eat clothyard shaft, ya mincing sissy!).

However, I did post less so as to put off becoming a villein for as long as possible! Can I be a peasant again? :wink:

-->Bruce<--

(I only seem to sign my name when I respond to your messages)
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Some of the other forums I've frequented have had that problem. I don't think it's a big of a deal as some people and it's very hard to tell what a persons motives for making a post are. I have found that if someone is doing it (most of the time you can tell, and short posts aren't a dead giveaway), if you call them on it they smarten up.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Right. Just cause your post is short doesn't mean that its for higher rank. I mean there are a lot of MOCs that are introduced in the forum. Most (if not all) are "very good", but what else can you say? They may not be especially unique, yet the builder deserves a compliment, in a lot of cases. So, "very good" or "excellent" are posted.

Mr. D
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

They'll have a lot of one-sentence replies....
Evidentily, no one is reading what I wrote and keep keying on "one-sentence". Let me reemphasize by saying:

They'll have a -->LOT<-- of one-sentence replies...

Apparently, the "a lot" was invisible to all but me. Hopefully this will rectify the situation. :D
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]