Weekly Set Review: Battle Wagon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Battle Wagon

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 8874 Battle Wagon.

Battle Wagon was released in 2005 for Knight's Kingdom II. Two Shadow Knights guard their prisoner cart from Rascus. The cart includes a catapult, wheels with scythes, a flag, and various accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

This set is nothing special, just a welcome addition to a collection for this theme. Good design, but the wheels aren't great. The old wheel design is much preferable to this new one.
This set is typical for Lego, and its counterparts have existed in every castle theme since the dawn of time. Not that they are undesirable, but I get the feeling of cliché.
Also, I don't understand why there's a catapult on top of a prison transport vehicle. Lego seems obsessed with catapults. I do like the two halberds acting as rails on the roof.
Overall,
Design: 8/10
Minifigs: 4/10
Accessories: 7/10
Playability: 7/10
Nostalgia: 2/10 (It's not 0/10 because it reminds me of the old sets)

Average score: 5.6
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Two horses, three figs, doors, and a half-decent design with only one, larger, catapult.

Not bad, for post-1990s...

Joking aside, it's an excellent set for pieces, comes with two ever useful Shadow Knights, and a Rascus.

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (universal): 8/10
Design (contemporary): 9/10
Nostalgia: 6.5/10

Overall Score: 7.92/10 (B)
Last edited by Formendacil on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
castlebrickman
Apprentice

Post by castlebrickman »

All I can say is that the only thing that could of been beter is another horse for the wagon. 8/10
Visit my site www.piratebricks.com
The LEGO Pirate Resource!!!
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

small amounts of bley... black doors, decent piece selection, apart from the odd concept this is a good set. I was pleasantly surprised by mine. Not your average jelly bean, much sweeter ; )

God Bless,

Nathan
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

For me, this set is very useful by itself, and cannibalized. Although I don't own it, my friend has shown me his, and it looks good.

My rating?

8.31675 :D
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Nothing wrong with this set! except bley. 2 horses, 3 good figs and the green armor ain't bad...usable pieces for MOCs.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Tristram
Laborer

Post by Tristram »

I picked mine up about a week ago, and I really like it.

Because I'm such a purist, I hesitate to modify it in anyway, shape, or form. But if I were to do so, I'd take the catapult off and possibly the whole top tower/catapult structure all together, leaving just the prison wagon, which is pretty nice.

The two flags also kinda get in the way, but it's not a big deal.

And I agree, two horses to pull the wagon would be nice. And a set of reins or a whip for the driver.

As much criticism as I've mentioned, I still think this is a nifty set.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Finally a set I don't own.... And frankly, nothing urges me to get it. I simply don't have the must-have-feeling about this set. It's neither fish nor fowl. Is it a catapult? Is it a prison cart? It looks bulky. It looks too heavy for the one poor horse to pull it.
Well, I can only judge this thing from the pictures, but what I see is nothing to write home about. Of course I will have it sooner or later because I'm a collector. Anyway.

And finally we have prove the set designers don't know nothing about mediaeval life. A lance is not a gun, suckers!

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

A lance is not a gun, suckers!
Hehe, true.

It's not that bad for a KK2 set. It has more shadow knights then the siege of the Castle of Morcia. :?

I own this, and I must admit, the flags and catapult are probally the worst of it. And the fact that there isn't enough horse power to pull this thing. And the set didn't come with an extra saddle. It should have, but I guess that would cost too much for TLG.

Over all, it's fun for a kid, but nothing I'd buy repeatedly at full price.

Graynar
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Jojo wrote:A lance is not a gun, suckers!
I pity the fools... :lol:

Anyway, not having this set, I can't comment to extensively on it. So, I'll just say that while it's probably one of KK2's better ideas, I would have liked it better in the first series, before the replaced they armors and shields.
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I got this set for it's pieces. Two shadow knights two horses, the interesting new green horse head coverer thing.

When compared to the seige tower set, it is better because of the horses.

The only downside is new gray, and the heraldry.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

As far as KK2 goes, its my favorite. You get a great amout of pieces for thirty dollars. And whats more, the jail-thing is pulled by a horse! How often do you get that?

The design is so-so. I'm happy that there is no catapult on Rascus' horse, but I haven't quite figured out why there are two giant doors on the wagon. Considering that the prisoners can enter through the back, it makes little sense.

But apart from that, not much to complain about. A very good KK2 set.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
The Duke
Serf

Post by The Duke »

why is that green power ranger attacking on his flying horse from space, while holding his sword in his left hand, his lance (as jojo wrote) like a gun and his shield tied to his horse with a blue flag on his head????

anyway, it's not a bad set. the only thing that kept me from buying this set is: vladek's attack collection. how many battlewagons do you need in your lego collection!? ....it does come with an unusually high number of shadow knights....
lego2000
Apprentice

Post by lego2000 »

That, my friends, is one strong horse