Weekly Set Review: Battle Wagon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

If you buy sets to have sets, then it's pointless. If you buy sets for peices, then it might be worth getting.

But then, I buy sets for peices, and I don't have it, so...
Last edited by E of Alshire on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The Duke wrote:why is that green power ranger attacking on his flying horse from space, while holding his sword in his left hand, his lance (as jojo wrote) like a gun and his shield tied to his horse with a blue flag on his head????
For the set archives we always copy figures and set arrangement that the LEGO boxes have. The angles are not perfectly the same, but they are usually close. Because LEGO recently is using more photoshoped hills for boxes, all of the figures are not on the same level (as they used to be on most LEGOLAND set boxes but not catalogs). This creates a floating Rascus in Battle Wagon. I also prefer set images for our archives to have white backgrounds.

My set review: This cart is too bulky as are most kk2 sets. The catapult does not make sense. I like the large black doors and the horse head covers. Basically this wagon could be pulled by two horses, not have the catapult, and have a driver figure with a whip instead of one shadow knight. Then it could have been a great set.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

I bought 5 of these sets for $19.99 USD, some on special sales. I bought these mostly for the large doors, 2 scorpion soldiers, dark red pieces and lack of bley pieces compared to some other sets Lego had in the stores at the time.
I purchased most of these sets before I knew about the KK Chess set, with its bulk of scorpion soldiers for the better price to fig ratio. But it does have more pieces for the value to each other.

Why did this set not have a prisoner? The old sets had them.

I agree, another horse is needed to pull the wagon. I don't mind the flags and bulky brick wheels that much, I use these for trees. The wagon looks too bulky and the catapult looks like it would make the wagon fall over when it fires. I like realism in my sets, like castles your figures can actually climb to the top or catapults that look real in size, placement and are reachable to your figs. No more out of place catapults in sets. Overall I give it 7/10 rating. :)

Price: 7/10
Parts: 8/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 7/10
Design: 6/10
Nostalgia: 6/10

Bad Stuff(bad for having a higher rating)
Bley Pieces: 2.5/10
One Purpose Pieces: 1/10 (catapult arm)
Ugly Pieces: 2/10 ("He-Man" sword and 2 horse helmets)
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

lego2000 wrote:That, my friends, is one strong horse

Ha ha ha - indeed.

That actually is my only complaint for this set - I really don't understand why they couldn't add 2-4 more horses for the cart - a horse cannot be so expensive, or can it?

Otherwise, bley is here and hollowed is the day when we don't mention it in new sets - and the design actually shows a lot of creative designing. I know it may be juniorized, but I really like the colors and even the catapult on top (heck, why not?)

I really like the new KK2 sets - I wish I could buy them... but I have no idea when the will hit Taiwan... :-(
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

ottoatm wrote:Otherwise, bley is here and hollowed is the day when we don't mention it in new sets
I'd rather say: Hallowed is the day when bley is not part anymore of new sets.
(I didn't mention it in my review.)

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

ottoatm wrote:Otherwise, bley is here and hollowed is the day when we don't mention it in new sets
I'd rather say: Hallowed is the day when bley is not part anymore of new sets.

Bye
Jojo
Here,here!

God Bless,

Nathan
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Norro wrote:
Jojo wrote:I'd rather say: Hallowed is the day when bley is not part anymore of new sets
Here,here!
Be warned: If this becomes another bley discussion of any type, this thread will be locked. Please restrict your posts to reviewing the set.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Maybe it's a good parts pack, but I haven't bought this, and don't really plan to. I just see no earthly need for this monstrosity within my collection. I pity the single horse trying to lug this thing about.

3/10
Last edited by TwoTonic Knight on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

My review:

ok so LEGO saw old models of 6055 and decided to do the same in BULK type as usual... copy something great and make it poor

Brickwise this set is not what it cutout to be, I mean I expected more really. The doors are really too big for the waggon, one horse defintly not usefull here, why theres a catapult once more and why there is no Green Barding WHY WHY WHY...

The green headcover for the horse is probably the best piece. Tried to make a better alternate for this so far unsuccesful. Personal not, I'm not that big fan of the dk red
The Duke
Serf

Post by The Duke »

ben wrote
For the set archives we always copy figures and set arrangement that the LEGO boxes have. The angles are not perfectly the same, but they are usually close. Because LEGO recently is using more photoshoped hills for boxes, all of the figures are not on the same level (as they used to be on most LEGOLAND set boxes but not catalogs). This creates a floating Rascus in Battle Wagon. I also prefer set images for our archives to have white backgrounds.
sorry ben, i had guessed this already. i've seen this set in the shops as well. i just thougt it looked funny and wanted to comment on that as well.

still, thanx for the exact explanation.

doeke

[/quote]
Wilod King
Serf

stuffy stuff

Post by Wilod King »

Personally I like the set. I agree that the catapult at the top of the cart is ludacris, and another horse would be great, but I think the number of shadow knights is sufficient, a whip would improve it thouhg. If you think of the large doors as (wooden) wall pieces, and good ways to access the interior of the set, they work for me. I don't like the new armor designs, but the shield works well for me with the Rascus' previous printed torso for a midevil gentleman. again I modify the shadow knights to look "better". I personally like the new flag design for the scorpions, and Vladek's new shield as well (if you can't tell :twisted: ). So I got rid of Rascus and his horses helmet. This set I actually bought for the set and not just for pieces. Lego is going the right way, but the catapult overdose :oops: is cramping the style.
Wilod, King of the Dilods, Destroyer of Worlds. A.K.A. Psychoboy, Ruler of the Unknown Universe, and Cheese
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Relatively desirable set when you need shadow knights and horses. I guess it deserves a 7.5 out of ten considering the sets that have been out recently... :roll:
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

The battle wagon looks menacing. I would remove the catapult from the roof, and keep the rest as it is. Those big chunky wheels look great. The colors of the actual wagon look great, but the green knight looks a little bit too colorful. I also like the helms on the men-at-arms on the actual wagon, and I could probably do with some of the nice green shields. Overall a fairly good set.

Rating: 6/10
Baned
Foot Soldier

Post by Baned »

Plenty of easily reusable pieces in this set. I bought this mostly for the black doors and the green horse helmet. I enjoy the shadow knight helmets, too.
Peeron contributions: 577 (Viking Chess), 7009, 7654, 7655, 7695, 7771, 8813, 8821, and 8822.

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MaccyG]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

Got this set for christmas. It's not the worst KK2 has to offer. It had some good pieces and accesories. but not that great.
I'll grade it
6.5/10
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]