Colossal Castle Contest III

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Colossal Castle Contest III

Post by architect »

The CC Team is proud to announce our third annual building contest: The Colossal Castle Contest III. It will begin on November 1st and end on December 31st, 2005.

This contest is a bit different than other contests. We have a variety of categories each with one prize for the winner. Some categories require small creations and others need larger ones. Everyone, even with a limited supply of bricks, should be able to enter several categories. We are looking for creativity, not who has the most LEGO.

Check out the prizes.

http://www.classic-castle.com/events/co ... rizes.html

Eight LEGOLAND Castle sets are prizes. There are are also rare accessories and a custom castle figure. It truly is colossal!

Thank you to Patrick Morgan, Nathan Todd, and Ben Ellermann for donating prizes. The rules can be found here.

http://www.classic-castle.com/events/co ... ntest.html

Enjoy! Discuss the contest and any questions you may have.

Notes: We are working on setting up the database for submitting entries and hope to have that operational by this weekend. The "Submit an Entry" and "Entries" links will not work until that time. In addition we plan on placing actual photographs of the used sets for everyone to view.
Norro
Councilor

Re: Colossal Castle Contest III

Post by Norro »

Exciting! I must start building!

EDIT: 1 Q, for the Classic Castle Category does 'style' imply a limited scale or can we improve and expand?

Thanks and God Bless,

Nathan
Last edited by Norro on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Awesome. I am feeling the burning need to build already.

Question though, was there a particular reason there was no vignette catagory?

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Alright, this time the gloves are off :wink:

I can't say this time, because I've never entered before, but the entries for this year pale in comparison to what I had planned for last year.

My only problem with the whole thing is that there was no divinci catagory. I spent months designing something.

That and no outpost catagory, but I can adapt :wink:
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Certain categories were removed due to lack of interest, some removed due to too broad of scope, still others removed for other various reasons.

We try to make sure that the CCC is a varied and wide ranging contest, making it as interesting and thought provoking as possible. No two years will have the exact same categories, partially due to prize availability, partially due to admin/community preferences.

For example - there is no micro category for this year, in spite of it being a very popular style of building currently. Why? Because a micro contest was just held here in the CC community.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

I'm extremely glad there's at least some form of full castle this year, that was always the disappointment for me. I'm building something, but I don't know if it'll be done - 2 months really isn't that long.

In the castle theme, do corner towers count as "side towers"? It seems an unusual description, I'm not sure what is meant as side towers. A tower in the middle of the side wall, not at the ends?

Also, the need for "interior buildings" gives the impression they need to be stand-alone. Yes or no?

Anyways, awesome. I'm not sure if the timeframe will be doable for me, but it's awesome there's an actual castle category.

Thanks!

-John "J1A3L5" Langrish.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

My only problem with the whole thing is that there was no divinci catagory.
That is a loss to me as well, but the contest looks great! Fantastic Prizes, Patrick, Nate, and Ben!
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Re: Colossal Castle Contest III

Post by JoshWedin »

All right! Now I can't wait to start building. This makes up for the rotten day I had. The prizes look great and the categories seem very well thought out. One question for Pat though. Did you name your wizard before or after I posted my wizard's tower viewtopic.php?t=6132? I just thought it was odd that the prize wizard and mine have the same name. If I stole your wizard's name I apologize. :oops:

The Contest looks great!
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Limitations on time frame? High Middle Ages only? Early Middle Ages (Dark Ages, Age of Migrations - kinda by definition included for the Viking stuff)? Classical (Greece, Rome)? Ancient (Egypt)? Fantasy of the periods above?

They have been allowed in past contests, but I thought it best to be sure from the outset one way or another.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

My only problem with the whole thing is that there was no divinci catagory. I spent months designing something.

That and no outpost catagory, but I can adapt
Di Vinci was an excellent category but we did not have a prize this year that fit well for that category. I suggest entering that creation into the miscellaneous category. The outpost entries would work very well in the "Classic Castle Creation" category. Pick a theme like forestmen or wolfpack to populate your creation and enter it!
In the castle theme, do corner towers count as "side towers"? It seems an unusual description, I'm not sure what is meant as side towers. A tower in the middle of the side wall, not at the ends?
Yes. Basically have a few archer towers in addition to a gate/entrance tower.

Also, the need for "interior buildings" gives the impression they need to be stand-alone. Yes or no?
Buildings inside the courtyard can be attached to the castle (sharing one wall or more with the castle wall).
One question for Pat though. Did you name your wizard before or after I posted my wizard's tower
I forgot Pat's wizard's name and for some reason Nilrem came to mind. So I probably got the name wrong and will have to change it. Freak, please send me a pm with the correct name.
Limitations on time frame? High Middle Ages only? Early Middle Ages (Dark Ages, Age of Migrations - kinda by definition included for the Viking stuff)? Classical (Greece, Rome)? Ancient (Egypt)? Fantasy of the periods above?
A good time period would be the fall of Rome to the burning of London in 1666. So vary late Roman and late medieval is cool but ancient Greeks/Egyptians or the Industrial Age would not be.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

Woohoo! I'm in. Please explain how it works via PM. This will be my first time for CCC since I'm quite new compared to you old geezers. :D Actually, I can use some MOCs I already have to suffice. :wink:
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

Wow, those are great prizes! Thanks Pat, Nathan, and Ben for your generous prize donations. :D

One question: In general, are the entries restricted to historically based castle creations, or can fictional/fantasy based MOCs be included? :? I noticed the custom category mentioned fairies and wizards. The Classic Castle is obviously limited to the listed themes, and the Viking category implies a mythical/legendary theme is allowed. How about the rest?

Thanks again!

Jim
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Shadow wrote:Woohoo! I'm in. Please explain how it works via PM.
Follow the links above and read the contest rules.
Jim wrote:One question: In general, are the entries restricted to historically based castle creations, or can fictional/fantasy based MOCs be included?
Siege Scene, Medieval Life, Vehicles (Carts and Ships), Classic-Castle Category, and Castle Room Interior should be more historic in nature. Castle, Viking, Miscellaneous, and Custom Figure could be historic or fantasy.

So laser cannons or giant bunnies are not allowed in the Siege category ;) Of course if your Classic-Castle category is Dragon Masters or Fright Knights there is fantasy in those themes. Use your best judgement, ask questions, and we will grade appropriately.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Under the viking catagory, does rebuilding one of the dragons/beasts from the new viking theme count say if it were battling a viking or two?

I'm just sad there is no brick built beast catagory :(
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Sorry for being the noob here, but I've never been in a Colossal Castle Contest before. What are we supposed to build, castle buildings and things?

Just wondering,

Graynar