BrickFest PDX Area Castle Report

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

BrickFest PDX Area Castle Report

Post by Glencaer »

Classic-Castle at BrickFest PDX 2004

So many people brought such beautiful creations for the 3CS City. I brought with me James Brink's Butcher Shop, Medieval Water Mill, Trebuchet, and Woodcutter's Cart; Ben Ellermann's City Gate and Cart; Bruce N H's Medieval Shop; and Anthony Sava's Post Mill. What other's brought to the Castle City: Rene Hoffmeister brought his amazingly detailed Jousting Tournament; Derek Schinn brought his large Tavern, complete with his innovative candle, a Monastery, and a brown and light yellow shop, as well as several wall pieces; Larry Pieniazek brought his Barber Shop and his Inn of the Fallen Angels; Robin Werner brought an amazingly detailed Tavern; Bruce Lowell brought the first 3CS Wall piece on a hill; Richard Lange brought several wall pieces and a Tower; and Christina Hitchcock brought a wonderful little medieval hut.

Other creations of note: Tom Rafert's amazingly detailed castle village and scenery Brickshire; Stephen Fisher's creative and detailed castle layout; Kim Toll's amazing Red Cathedral; Mark Ride's Winter Fortress; Richard Lange's large Viking ships, a huge customized Roman army, and amazing Tree House; someone who's name escapes me brought a huge version of the Salt Lake City Temple.

The best part of the experience was the interaction with other fans. So many people came up to me telling me how excited and interested they were in the Classic-Castle website and the 3CS concept. Burce Lowell and Derek Schinn talked with me at length about their intentions to begin building more castle creations in the 3CS vein - and they were not alone in this. I spoke with Tom Rafert about developing a way to make castle layouts more dynamic and we came up with some exciting ideas. And 'business' issues aside, spending time with friends that I have made online was wonderful.

Easily the second best part was interacting with the public on Sunday. More than 500 people came through the Expo, and seeing the kids' eyes light up again and again was something I can never forget. Seeing adults as their eyes light up seeing all the detailed interiors - as they go from thinking LEGO is for kids, to understanding why 170+ AFOLs are here too - it is an adult toy as much as a child's toy.

The keynote speeches were powerful and thought provoking. Steve Barile (the mastermind behind PDX) gave his speech Friday night about the magic of the LEGO experience. Indeed, the concept of the LEGO moment is something that ran through the entire weekend. Perhaps the most exciting speech was Tormud's. It was easy to tell Tormud's speech was designed not for AFOLs, but for company execs - and the primary point of his message was that TLG needed to persue greater interaction between the company and the fans. He spoke of marketing with AFOLs, not to AFOLs - that the relationship should be something that benefits both company and fans. It was such an open and wonderful sentiment, that I almost cried.

Jake McKee's message on Sunday, including the question-and-answer part, was very interesting. I must say that Jake is a wonderful voice for TLG, and they should value him as such. Even if I disagree with the company's choices (peach minifigs, new grey) - Jake does an amazing job of arguing for their choices. Such to the point that I almost agree with him merely because of the eloquence of his arguments.

BrickFest PDX was an amazing experience for me. Something I am not long going to forget, and that I eagerly look forward to the next! I want to see Castle arise for BrickFest DC - to realize its place as the greatest theme there is!

Long Live Castle!

I'd like to take a moment to mention a thanks to Steve Barile, Christina Hitchcock, Larry Peiniazek, Todd Thuma, and everyone else (who I've idiotically forgotten) who worked so hard to make this happen. You guys have sacraficed and continue to sacrafice to we can have so much fun - thank you so much!
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Do you have a link to some pictures?

Post by Sir Terrance »

Hi, do you have a link to any pictures so use who didn't make it can still see the results? I am going to come Brickfest the year I am old enough! I know you can go at all ages, but I want to help set up the displays, display my own models, etc. Thanks. :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

I will echo Lenny's comments about the community. I was very proud to see the great collaboration of about 15 people to make the 3CS city a reality, and to feel part of such a group. Only six months or so ago I thought my friend and I were the only adults collecting and building Legos. Then I googled "Lego castle" on a whim and found Lugnet, Brickshelf and the rest is history!

And I'll give Lenny recognition as he conviently left himself out of the praise. He came across the country and almost single-handedly pulled off the city set up and eventual pack up (sniff, sniff). The design of the city, the placement of the various MOCs was all Lenny. It was great to meet you and become friends. Now that we're such pals, what can we do about this "gong farmer" business...

Richard
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Pics! Pics! Pics! I really wish I could have been there. Thanks a lot for the informative report.

MD
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Great Job to all the participants! And thanks to those who took and posted the pics. I must say I was impressed by the city.

Some things that stood out:

Purple Inn
Elevated Wall Segmet
2x2 rounded plate road
and some quality houses!

One thing, what is with the sheep? I'm confused.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
jb
Freeman

Post by jb »

Lenny, the display looked great! It really shows the potential of the classic castle city standard. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about the fest and also for making my mocs a part of the display :) It was really cool to see everyones mocs together in the same place as part of a village! Thanks!

James
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

To Echo the masses,

Great work Lenny,
All the guys involved in castle this year really showed what a great group of builders we have here.

As to the sheep...
Not that I have managed to make it out to a Brickfest yet, but I think the sheep is the castlers weapon of choice to attack the .space guys. This has been an ongoing theme for a few fests and I expect it will continue. I even made some sheep in the hope I can go the the next Brickfest on the West coast.

And to The Blue Knight, post regularly and frequently and a gong farmer you will no longer be. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

What do sheep have to do with .spacers, and how can they be used as weapons? Maybe I'm just being gullible....

mD
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

What do sheep have to do with .spacers?! Those vile .spacers got a little put out when Lenny let loose the trebuchet with hopes of reaching the space tables.

Saturday night foul heathen mechs descended on Tom Rafert's Brinkville (hope I got the name right). They flattened his castle guard and laid waste to a building and pursued several virtuous maidens. Fortunately, Tom had Flying Attack Sheep, the bane of all .spacers. He arranged them around the mechs and showed how they were being dealt with by upstanding villager-types.

The kids were a little confused during the Public Expo, but it all turned out OK. Long live the FAS Corps!

Signed, Gong Farmer Galore (that stinks!)
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens