Weekly Set Review: Black Monarch's Ghost

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I like this set for the fact that it's got a nice little knight and some cool doors. Nothing amazing, but the knight is a welcome addition, and I appreciate the doorway.

A great set. :)
The only bit I don't understand is why the ghost is of the monarch himself, I thought he was alive and well! in fact, you get him with the main castle of the faction!
I have the main castle, but I don't recall getting the Black Monarch... just some soldiers and cool knights. Did I miss something?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

[/quote]I have the main castle, but I don't recall getting the Black Monarch... just some soldiers and cool knights. Did I miss something?

I think that one of the knights in your castle is the monarch himself, but I am not sure which one.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

The Ghost= Black Monarch.

Lovely set. I had one once. I remember the instructions to be complicated for some reason. A good knight is a black knight. :)
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Hang on, hang on! How can a ghost that hides in a small tower rule a kingdom? The word monarch is equivalent to the word king.

Oh and another thing - in the set, there is a strange part at the foundation of the tower, the Technic Brick with Hole. And the Technic Pin in one of them. I am really not sure why it's there. Can anyone explain???
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Nick wrote:Hang on, hang on! How can a ghost that hides in a small tower rule a kingdom? The word monarch is equivalent to the word king.

Oh and another thing - in the set, there is a strange part at the foundation of the tower, the Technic Brick with Hole. And the Technic Pin in one of them. I am really not sure why it's there. Can anyone explain???
1: Because Lego has shown us that before, or to be exact; The Black Monarch ruled the first years of the Black Knight's existance and later died, but ruled them after that.

2. I think the ghost could jump out or something like that, I dont remember.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

The ghost can't jump! The wierd technic parts don't serve any function, they are just there! Very peculiar.

Thanks for explaining about the monarch. I understand now.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Nick wrote:The wierd technic parts don't serve any function, they are just there! Very peculiar.
The Technic parts are there because this set belongs to the modular wall system of the old days. Though I have to admit this set is not the best example of this system and not well executed. The clip is in the way:

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Ok, now everything is clear. :D
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

The Technic parts are there because this set belongs to the modular wall system of the old days.
Wow... I've had that castle for years and had no idea it was meant to be a modular like that. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have to admit, the King's Castle modular is much better than this one - I think I prefer this particular castle by itself (no additions).

I was just putting together the King's Mountain Fortress last night and found the same Technic part - this one sticking out in a random place on the outside edge of the ramp.

Image Image

When I was done, it just sat there on the outside of the ramp, the peg sticking out with no apparent use. Any idea what that might be for?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

ottoatm wrote:I was just putting together the King's Mountain Fortress last night and found the same Technic part - this one sticking out in a random place on the outside edge of the ramp. (...) Any idea what that might be for?
That's the last remaining reminder of the great days of the modular Castle walls.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Nick wrote:Hang on, hang on! How can a ghost that hides in a small tower rule a kingdom? The word monarch is equivalent to the word king.
Probably because the ghost was a king. But there is no real offical story. Thats for your imagination to figure out. The ghost doesn't even have to be a monarch, it could be a ghost that belongs to the king, or whatever. It was just a name given to the set by the designers. There is no real reason for it being called that, just some guy's preference.

So in answer to your question "how can he rule from the tower", that is for you to know and us to find out.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

Man I wish I wasn't just born then cause I don't have it :(

but I give 9.5/10

cause that is a nice set with the knight and all
My life is based on a true story.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

As far as I understand now, these seemingly useless technic
pins and bricks are there for connecting various independent sets in order to create a larger set.
That really solves the mystery!!! Hehehe, excellent.
Horak the Great
Peasant

Post by Horak the Great »

I realize it may be a little late to comment about this set, but I'd like to comment about it anyhow. I just joined the forum, so please bear with me. I hope people don't mind.

This is the first Lego set I ever purchased after my 1st Dark Age (no pun intended). When I was younger, I spent most of my time creating with Lego Technic (usually making cars and ramming them into bigger objects to test for durability and 'safety'). Several years later, I stumbled upon 6034 at a toy store overseas and I thought to myself, "Wow, what a cute Lego set." Without hesitation, I purchased it.

The Black Knight faction is one of my favorites, it's a real pity that it didn't last longer. This was a good, affordable set that is highly recommended.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Horak the Great wrote:I realize it may be a little late to comment about this set, but I'd like to comment about it anyhow. I just joined the forum, so please bear with me. I hope people don't mind.
It's never too late to comment on a set review.

You can comment on ANY unclosed thread, but the set reviews are not only open to posting, but encourage posting.

~Michael A. Joosten - Moderator~