Looking for help

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Dragon Master
Merchant

Looking for help

Post by Dragon Master »

Hi,

For those of you who don't know I'm DM, the Dragon Master. I am interested in writing an article to help out the CCC community. The topic?

Medieval Instruments.

I am looking for a partner(s). I need people to either help with reasearch, writing, or building the instruments from bricks. If you would like to help out or inquire more infromation, just reply to the thread and tell how you can help. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for consideration,

Dragon Master
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Good luck on the article. I'd recommend 1 searching on google for just a little info, 2 getting more from a more trustable library source, and 3 linking to here http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=525277 :wink:
Also search around brickshelf, just type in various instruments in the search category.

[text removed by admin]
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Dear Kaloo,

I know you are new to CC, but we have several rules.

Do not use multiple emoticons and exclamation marks. It is annoying. One of each is the most that is necessary. Please keep your posts constructive. The beginning of your post was fine, the end was inappropriate.

DM does know about many instruments. I believe that he is looking for people to help build them.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

I'd love to help, but I can't promise much. :(
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Oh, my bad... :oops:......
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I have a decent knowledge of the instruments and am willing to do more research (as much as necessary) all be me onsey. I would like to spice up the article with as many lego pics as possible. I am aware there are many moc instruments online already (I've seen Lenny's drums, a fantasic pipe organ, and Jojo's harp). I am looking for someone who would build other instruments, like lutes (forerunner of guitar). Even if you don't know much just follow a pic (which I will provide) and build. I could build them myself, but my camera is crappy, and I don't have a wealth of the smaller pieces need to make these little noisemakers.

Please, if you are interessted help. It will only be a little work, and you get to work in LEGO!

And you will get rewarded with earning a place in the CC archives!

Come on guys, I know you want to!

Dragon Master
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Dusty
Apprentice

Post by Dusty »

I will give it a shot. If anything I might learn something from this, be it a building technique or just plain ol history.

What kind of instruments did you have in mind besides the lute?
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Dragon Master wrote:I have a decent knowledge of the instruments and am willing to do more research (as much as necessary) all be me onsey. I would like to spice up the article with as many lego pics as possible. I am aware there are many moc instruments online already (I've seen Lenny's drums, a fantasic pipe organ, and Jojo's harp). I am looking for someone who would build other instruments, like lutes (forerunner of guitar). Even if you don't know much just follow a pic (which I will provide) and build. I could build them myself, but my camera is crappy, and I don't have a wealth of the smaller pieces need to make these little noisemakers.

Please, if you are interessted help. It will only be a little work, and you get to work in LEGO!
Dude, send me the pics and I'll build them as best I can!

My address is lordofthelego@hotmail.com

This sounds like fun!

*EDIT*

I just found this on Brickshelf:

It looks like three violins and a cello. I can't quite make out how the cello is made, but I'll test out some designs with my bricks.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

I'm willing to help too.
I studied medieval music at the universaty for a while. I'm not sure what you want to write though.
I've been thinking about making some instruments myself for a while, but the small ones are hard. Escpecially when you know how they look and don't want to leave details out ;)

Great picture here above, but in the (early) middle ages the main of the musicians had wind instruments or some kind of drum. That makes it hard, the flutes are hard to build I think.
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Dragon Master wrote
For those of you who don't know I'm DM, the Dragon Master. I am interested in writing an article to help out the CCC community. The topic?

Medieval Instruments.
For some strange reason, when I first read this I thought you were talking about instruments of torture. :shock: I just assumed that a warrior who rides around on dragons was not "cultured" enough to have an interest in music :P

I look forward to the article.
Troy T. Moore
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

stuifzand wrote:That makes it hard, the flutes are hard to build I think.
I think it is more a matter of posing - just take a Harry Potter wand and you have a transverse flute. A recorder, held straight out from the mouth, is difficult to pose given the limitations of minifig arms (see Blasterman's proposed bendable arms).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

HP came with a flute in one set.... At least, I thought it was.
Mani
Villein

Post by Mani »

It is a flute.

(I've read the books)
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

The flute was in the Forbidden Corridor set:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30374px1

Btw, mini Castle moment -- Today's Peeron random piece of the day is the minifig bow and arrow.

Bruce
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

How about using silver Rub N' Buff on a HP wand for a flute?

mD