Favorite Medieval Computer Game(s)

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Horak the Great
Peasant

Favorite Medieval Computer Game(s)

Post by Horak the Great »

On the PC, there are three Medieval-themed games I enjoy:

1) Medieval Total War...

I really enjoy playing with the Viking expansion and XL mod. On the XL mod, my favorite faction is the Teutonic Order. The mod is highly recommended.

2) Shogun Total War

3)Crusader Kings...
For historical realism and educational value, this game has the most to offer. Sometimes seems a bit tedious, though.

These are all (more or less) strategy games.
Does anyone else have a favorite Medieval era Computer games that they would recommend?
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Europa Universalis 1 and 2... maybe a bit late for Castle but anyways...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Hmm...

Warcraft 2 & Exp: Beyond the Dark Portal
Warcraft 3 & Exp: The Frozen Throne
World of Warcraft (a lil steampunk too)
Rome: Total War (have not played expansion)
Empire Earth (1, the second one is too inaccurate) & Exp: The Art of Conquest
Dungeon Siege (have not played nr2 yet) & Exp: Legends of Aranna (plus all great mods!)
Nox
Majesty
Settlers 3
Morrowind (have never played any expansions)
Warlords Battlecry 2
Diablo 2 & Exp: The Lord of Destruction
Heroes 3 & Exp: Armaggedon's Blade (the other ones Ive never had a chance to buy) (Far better than 4)
Heroes 4 (is there an expansion?)
Heroes 5 Alpha (ok, its really hard to get so I shouldnt mention it really... *brag brag*)
Lords of Everquest
Conqua (a game my father made)
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War & Exp: Winter Assault (not castle but the universe is interesting for castlers nontheless)

I think those are all...
Last edited by The Hordesman on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Sheen
Apprentice

Post by Sheen »

Warcraft II, III
Heroes III (still trying to beat the last SOD map after how many years?)
And from the somewhat 'castle' era of the Romans, Ceasar III, Poseidon, Zues, Pharoh and Cleopatra (sheesh they took awhile to finish, too)
Majesty (has anybody finished the last map?)
Sheen

Avatar photo is a small piece of Black Dragon by Alphonse Capone
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Age of Empires, or Rise of Nations...
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

1-World of Warcraft
2-Warcraft Series
3-Age of Empires 2 + Rise of Nations
4-Stronghold 1+2
5-Medieval Total War
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

Warcraft 2,
Rome total war (not medieval, but super cool),
Medieval total war,
Stronghold 1+2,
Age of empires 2+3,
Lords of the realm 2+3,
Diablo,
Settlers 5,
Heroes 4.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Warcraft 2/expansion
Warcraft 3/expansion

Diablo(I just borrowed it)

Caesar2(borrowed)
Caesar3

I'm not really into computer games because of the lag, LEGO wins again! 8)
Sir Drake
Archer

Post by Sir Drake »

Morrowind
The Age of Empires series
Empire Earth

That's all I can think of right now. I play lots of WW2 games too :wink: .
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

Medieval Total War
Stronghold 1
Stronghold 2
Age of Empires 2 w/ expansion

Those are my favorites, but AOE 1 is the best in my humble opinion :roll:

HenrytheV
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Medieval: Total War. I'm a miniatures wargamer and this is miniatures in real time with a campaign game. Love it. The Viking Expansion doesn't have the depth and breadth of the whole medieval period, but is nicely focused and in a number of ways a better game. The rest of the Total War series is all recommended by me, too.

Age of Empires. Something of the "click fests" that are a "feature" of the real time strategy games, but this is one of my favorites of that genre. AoEII also.

Heroes of Might & Magic. Okay, sue me for self-promotion, since I worked on both I and II (though III is better than II), but this is one of the very few games that I actually continued to play after working on it (and you have to understand that I had to play games unto death when I was in the software biz).

Stronghold: But somehow, I didn't play it that much, despite being a good game - other things were tugging at me at the time.

Pharaoh: Yes, there was a whole string of these, but somehow I ended up playing the one from a period that I don't like as much (Egypt). Very enjoyable.

Diablo: Okay, so it's really only a fancy verion of Hack, it was still a lot of fun.

I'm sure I'm forgetting gob-wads of games, but there's the first set.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
The Hag
Freeman

Post by The Hag »

TwoTonic Knight wrote: Heroes of Might & Magic. Okay, sue me for self-promotion, since I worked on both I and II (though III is better than II), but this is one of the very few games that I actually continued to play after working on it (and you have to understand that I had to play games unto death when I was in the software biz).
Wooo my hero ! I ve been playing heroes II till death, a quick question, were you responsible for thos dang Ghosts ? :lol: they were a bit unbalanced :D . What exactly was your job back in the good old days of 3D0/New World Computing ?

Some of my favourite games :
- Nr 1: Neverwinter Nights + Shadows of Undrentide + Hordes of the Underdark .. A must-play !(online)
- Nr 2: Might and Magic VI
- Nr 3: Heroes of Might and Magic III + Armageddons Blade + Shadows of Death
- Nr 4: Gothic II
- Nr 5: Heroes of Might and Magic II
- Nr 6: Stronghold
- Nr 7: Kings Quest I till V series
- Nr 8: Diablo I

And this one doesnt really count cause its more fantasy then Medieval: Vampire, The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

The Hag wrote: And this one doesnt really count cause its more fantasy then Medieval: Vampire, The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Yep, it´s modern but a really wonderful game.

Oh, well... I´m a vampirefreak but I don´t think you need to be that to enjoy it ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
BlackVrabac
Serf

Post by BlackVrabac »

The entire Total War series (Except for Viking Invasion, never got it). Modded Rome for months because vanilla was basically unplayable to me, and when I was done I lost interest. :D

Age of Empires I and II (II is nothing fabulous but it was fun for a while)

RPGs like Morrowind, Baldur's Gate I and II (altough II somehow dissapointed me), Icewind Dale I and II (IMHO better than BGII, at least it admits it just a hack&slash :)), waaaay off topic but speaking of RPGs Fallout I and II: IMHO by far the BEST RPG EVER made. By the large margin. Oh and Diablo II. It's not even a RPG in my book and I actually hated it for it's linearity and go-and-kill-them-all only quests, but it was always "just one more waypoint before I go to bed" and so until the dawn. :lol: Something is scary in that game's addiction. Never played Diablo I.

P.S.

Almost forgot. Civilization series. Not actually medieval only, but related to the topic. Original Civilization is one of the two best games I ever saw. When I got it first, I didn't speak one word of english so figuring things out was an adventure for itself. :) Another is Centurion. Not medieval, but close enough. Very similar in concept to Total War games (turn based strategical part with provinces as fields and real time battles), just on the 386 level. Those were the days...
Koenig_Artus
Peasant

Post by Koenig_Artus »

I think of Darklands as one of the best medivial computer-games. At least i like the concept of this Rpg from 1992. you control a group of four men(or women), and you can travel through the German Reich of the 15th century. cities and items (weapons, armor etc.) are pretty accurate except for the use of alchemy (but i`m a fighter anyway). Well of course the graphics are not as detailed as Age of Empires for example.

you can download it for free at: http://www.the-underdogs.org (it is abandonware)

be aware, it is a pain in the Megablocks to play it, if you are used to Morrowind.