Building up your collection

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Building up your collection

Post by Bruce N H »

Hi all,

In another thread, Jedipawn said he had recently emerged from his Dark Ages (and ironically wants to build in a Dark Ages theme :) ) and asked:
"Does anyone have any advice for me as I try to rebuild my lego collection??"

So, what would yo all suggest to Jedipawn? Jojo already mentioned ebay and bricklink, and Ben mentioned clearance sales. What else?

On clearance sales, Target has great sales around the first week of January and then again in June (sometimes earlier, sometimes later). First they mark a lot of things at 50%, then a few days later they mark them to 25%. You have to be quick on the lower price, though, because there will be people (a mix of AFOLs and moms) waiting to pounce the moment the price drops. I start haunting the Target (it's on my way to work) a few days after Christmas. Then when it hits 50% I buy a couple of things I want. Then when it drops again I'll buy just about anything they have, because there are always enough pieces to justify the lower price.

As far as sets, don't feel that you need "Castle" sets to build in a Castle theme. As Ben mentioned you can check out Harry Potter and the Adventurers Orient Expedition sets for lots of great elements. Also, I find that a very high percentage of the Star Wars minifigs fit in a medieval setting:
http://www.minimundo.de/inhalt/figuren/ ... ars456.htm
Palpatine, Luke (all but the X-Wing suit), Leia, Ben, Bib Fortuna, Han torsos all fit directly into Castle settings. Even some of the others don't look too out of place.
From Lego.com shop@home you should also check out the Castle Legends pack--three great sets that could form the core of any Castlehead's collection. You can also get a few of those Castle Accessory Packs to fill out your weaponry needs.

Oh, some people swear by yard/garage sales. I never seem to have any luck at these, though.

Bruce
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Scope out the stores for dicount. When the real castle sets return (please let it be the case :D ) I doubt you will be able to wait for them to be on sale, depending on the amount on any given store's shelves. There has been nothing new for a couple of years, so they may go fast. Shop at Home is good, but you will never get an insane deal like Target has an a lot of things. Bricklink is good, but expensive for things like minifigs. Some of the Knight's Kingdom figs are getting rare, and thus more money. Ebay is OK, but the last time I bought anything there, it was competitive, meaning higher prices :cry: Plus you don't always get what you thought you should. New Lego on Bricklink is good, and you know the price up front. No chance of auction fever but still way to easy to click and spend! Every store I go into that has a toy section, I scope it out. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it :D
Troy T. Moore
dookie
Serf

Post by dookie »

I agree, bricklink is the way to go. However, I would advise that you get insurance as one of my packages got stolen? lost? blah? no bricks, I'm mad anyway!!!
I like Cup Ramen! What I like even more is the Ramen from the Ichiraku that Iruka Sensei bought me. What I dislike is waiting the three minutes for the Cup Ramen to cook. My hobby is eating lots of Cup Ramen!
- Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto ep. 4)
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Be careful on Ebay...I just got ripped off on the seige tower...A set I've been wanting for awhile. :(
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

Bricklink is a gold mine. Just do some comparison shopping on different sets before you jump on something you've always wanted. I kind of stick to 2-3 sellers on there now as I've dealt with them plenty of times and feel confident with purchasing from them.

The important thing is to not run your finances dry. You gotta pace yourself. :)

-Rich
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I'm always kindof put off by the sheer amount of sellers on bricklink...Those 2 or three that you know of? can you drop some names? (Is that admissable here?)
LF
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Legofreak,

All of my purchases on bricklink have been pleasant. Check out the larger sellers. It is much more convenient to get most of your bricks from one site. Smaller sellers are ok too, but it may not be worth the shipping costs just to get a few shields at 70% of the going rate.

Ben E.

<plug>Dont forget that buying from a certain shop helps support CC - and they have a great selection and good service :D </plug>
CC Sets Admin