Weekly Set Review: 5184 Castle Accessories

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: 5184 Castle Accessories

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 5184 Castle Accessories.

Castle Accessories was released in 1989. It contained a variety of weapons, shields, headgear, flags, and plumes for the Black Falcon, Black Monarch, and Forestmen themes.

Last edited by architect on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slobey
Foot Soldier

Post by Slobey »

What can I say? Excelent array of weapons and heraldry of the availiable factions at the time.

Not a bad way either to transform other factions into your favourite as torsos were fairly generic back then

9/10
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has limits
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

I remember getting a few of these from the catalog a long time ago. What a GREAT accessory pack! There are a good amount of shields, weapons, helmets, etc... and the best part is that they're all from a GREAT era in castle!!

Simply put, I'd say 10/10.
-Joe "Cool"
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Good selection of accessories though not completely perfect. Id' have liked it better if it came with black helmets (other than the grill cisor helmet), too.

Bye
Jojo
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I bought 2 of these back in the day. This was before I understood the "shelf life" of a LEGO product. Lances, antennae, and flags less useful, but worth it to get the rest.

Would like it if we see something this useful again with such classic elements. (Shadow knight helms are neat and all, but the classic helms are more historically believable.)
Troy T. Moore
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Wow. A beatiful accessory pack - something that we could do with these days - containing tons of useful parts, all of which are quite generic, so you could use them on pretty much any faction and have them look good. My only criticism would be the lack of a Lion Knight shield. But aside from that, this is the best accessory pack ever released by Lego. If only we could get something like this nowadays...

- Matt
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I lusted after these long after they were gone. Then some actually showed up (along with pirates accessories packs) but only available in Great Britain. James Stacey (if I remember correctly) offered to relay the sets to interested parties, and I bought 20 of these, along with 20 Pirates packs. I was finally ahead of the game in getting spare parts when these arrived.

This particular set had a good selection of headgear, shields, and weapons, in part because it included forestmen stuff, and spare Black Falcon shields are always appreciated.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Fantastic. Just amazing stuff!

The only things I would switch is the red feathers for blue or black instead, grey grilled helmets, peasant coifs (brown) instead of forestman hats and pitchforks instead of lances.

But then, this is by far the greatest pack Ive seen.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

By far one of the best accessories packs, only things I would change is have the helmets have both their Black and Dark Grey counterparts. And for the Forestmen hats, one green, one brown. Now it would've been nice if red plume was blue, but judging that this came out before 10066, it would've been better if LEGO made 10066's blue. All in all, I wish accessory packs were still made like this.

9/10
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I remember these.... never got one this old, but still... as drool-worthy for those unable to attain it as the Black Knight's Castle.

Of course, this one is rather hard to review...

Parts: 9/10
Playability: N/A
Figs/Accessories: 10/10
Design (then): 9/10
Design (now): 10/10
Nostalgia: 8.5/10

Overall Score: 7.75/10
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

I only have the new castle accessories, but the weapons, sheilds, and every single piece is awesome! but what the heck is that round piece?
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

Ah the classic round piece... back in the days of the more classic castle factions, warriors were not simply born with the superior skills. They had to actually train (i know, perish the thought!). The round thing is a target used in archery and can also be found in older castle sets such as some Forestmen sets. Hope that helps clear things up.
-Joe "Cool"
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Overal a fairly good accessory pack. If they were still around for a decent price I certainly wold buy a bunch. I am always running out of swords and black falcon shields. Out of all the service packs for castle this one includes the most different factions. However I do have some particular problems with this set.

-helmets in grey and black
-more swords (why the heck are there only ever two or less in these packs?)
-crusader sheilds (i understand crusaders weere gone, but they're my fav)
-brown forester hat
-peasant cowls (black and brown)
-more colors of plumes (black, white, blue)

That being said, this is is the best accesorry pack with the largest spread of usseful pieces. However if anywone has a complete or mostly complete 5059 pack I will gladly purchase it for a reasonable price. Also, for a recent one 10066 is perdy good too, but definately the 5184 is best overall

in His grip, Chris
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I wish this was still available, for it was nice to have a cheap accessory builder on hand. 8) Do any of the admins know if TLG has any plans on releasing some more of these anytime soon? Sadly, it might be all baby blue. :(

9/10 (Modifications could be made to make it better)
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Lord Nev wrote:But what the heck is that round piece?
A spare target in case you don't have any Jar Jars or Timmys.

10/10