Classic Castle Roleplay Planning: March- September 2006

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord Nev wrote:I'll do that as soon as you edit yours. Why the heck are they blushing? :? Thay have no reason to blush. Nev is not guilty and Jegg isn't hiding anything. Explain to me that.
Your tone is bordering on childish, Nev...

It may not be your intention, but you sound like a little kid going "Well, if you think there's something wrong with mine, I'll find something wrong with yours".

Whether you intend it that way or not, be wary of offending others with such speech.

~Michael A. Joosten - Moderator~
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Formendacil wrote:
Lord Nev wrote:I'll do that as soon as you edit yours. Why the heck are they blushing? :? Thay have no reason to blush. Nev is not guilty and Jegg isn't hiding anything. Explain to me that.
Your tone is bordering on childish, Nev...

It may not be your intention, but you sound like a little kid going "Well, if you think there's something wrong with mine, I'll find something wrong with yours".

Whether you intend it that way or not, be wary of offending others with such speech.

~Michael A. Joosten - Moderator~
I agree with Mike here.

I found this comment...
Lord Nev wrote:The CCRP is coming back to life now that I'm in it!
...to be rather insulting towards the older members who have worked hard to keep this roleplay going for the past year or so, and to a lesser extent myself, as you don't seem to understand why the CCRP has been a bit inactive lately. Sounds like a little kid going "Well, it's far better now that I'm here!"

So please mind your tone.

- Matt
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I have to agree with Mike and Matt here. I also must say I'm not too pleased with your handling of King Ajaxx. I really doubt he'd be acting as his own butler for the Fire Breathing Fortress, or allow strangers to dine with him.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Ooooooooooooookay. Um, that's deffinitely NOT how i wanted to sound. Sorry.

Dang it! My first post in the CCRP did not go so well.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Ok, I know I'm not a CCRP member, but need to interfere here :P Don't be so harsh on Nev, he's trying to adjust here. While some people can adjust in two shakes of a lamb's tail, it takes a longer time for some others. And this is to you Nev: It'd be advisable if you do not write stuff like:"Posted by someone who doesn't care". It just makes you seem attention-hungry and umm... childish perhaps? We all care for each other here so don't get that idea. :) Anyways, I should leave you guys to your RPing. Have a nice RP month.

-Yankı
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Thanx Scincker. I'm trying guys. And Ethan, you don't have to post "stop using my characters" in the open. If you have a problem, come to me about it, ok.

Can we make this case eclosed?

I meant Kohran, that I am going to be an active member and hopefully bring the CCRP back to life. I guess I should learn how to write what I mean.

I'll try to please you all the best I can, but keep in mind that I can't please everybody.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Lord Nev wrote:And Ethan, you don't have to post "stop using my characters" in the open. If you have a problem, come to me about it, ok.
That was just about my point - if you want (though) use someone elses's characters in your post, you should talk to them about it first; before posting. Especially if you're autoing a king - I don't think Ajaxx would call upon complete strangers to train dragons, or at least, I think Nathan would have been told before that particular plot was used...

Maybe there's something going on I don't know about, but that just doesn't seem like something Nathan would accept to me, myself having asked previously about autoing Ajaxx.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Scnicker wrote:Ok, I know I'm not a CCRP member, but need to interfere here :P Don't be so harsh on Nev, he's trying to adjust here. While some people can adjust in two shakes of a lamb's tail, it takes a longer time for some others. And this is to you Nev: It'd be advisable if you do not write stuff like:"Posted by someone who doesn't care". It just makes you seem attention-hungry and umm... childish perhaps? We all care for each other here so don't get that idea. :) Anyways, I should leave you guys to your RPing. Have a nice RP month.
Thank you for your concern, Scnicker.

Thankfully, Nev seems to be taking our posts of admonition well (Nathan, Kohran, I don't think two posts of backup were REALLY needed). An excellent trait, if I may say so.

Now, to address the issue at hand:

The use of other people's characters in your posts is an important part of the Roleplay. This is how Roleplayers interact with each other and how they write joint stories.

HOWEVER!

It has always been the intention of the Roleplayers to maintain continuity. The number of times when Nathan's shown me a new post on MSN, and I've had to correct him for continuity problems are many. It's a normal thing, and nothing to worry about. As I read it, this was E of Alshire's main concern at the beginning of this: one of his characters was referenced and he was said to not have been there. A continuity error, he brought it to Nev's attention, and all should be well.

HOWEVER!

There has always been an issue on the Roleplay regarding consistency of character. Each of us, no doubt, has an image in our minds of each of our characters, and how they talk and act. I'm no different. Therefore, it is an issue to us when other people Roleplay our characters and do it in such a way that we would not. This is the issue that Nev had with E of Alshire, and Nathan and E have referenced with regards to the characterization of Ajaxx.

When a Roleplayer's character is used in a way that the author of that character finds inappropriate for that character for some reason or another, it falls upon them, first and foremost, to determine if this breach of the character's true nature is severe enough to warrant bringing up with the offending Roleplayer. After all, we as humans do not always act in perfectly consistent ways. An occasional bit of random/unexpectedness from someone else's Roleplaying may be a good thing.

Sometimes, however, the change of character is too much, it's impossible for the author of that character to believe. In these cases, they are quite right in wanting a change. The best way of going about it is probably to PM. This keeps it from becoming a big, blown-up issue. However, posting to the Planning Thread is perfectly acceptable. After all, if everyone can see what the author of a character thinks, then they can all know what to do if they are ever in that situation.

Care must be taken, however, not to offend the Roleplayer who, inadvertantly, made the mistake. That, if anywhere, is where we seem to have an issue at the moment.

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Alright. Nathan, is it okay if Ajaxx holds the Lion' Mane captive for training dragons? I had a really cool escape plan going about and I really should have asked your permission.

Also, I thought I read in the rules that one could auto someone's character without his/her permission. Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Nathan, what tips could you give me so I don't completely screw up Ajaxx. It is very hard for my mind to pick out someon's character based on just their dialogue. Please bear with me.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

First of all, I will admit that my post was a bit heavy-handed, and I'm sorry if it came across as too hard. Now, to business...
Formendacil wrote:(Nathan, Kohran, I don't think two posts of backup were REALLY needed)
My post wasn't 'backup' so much as my own comment on Nev's earlier post, which I found (and still find) slightly offensive. I felt it required attention. However, I understand that isn't the point here.
Formendacil wrote:There has always been an issue on the Roleplay regarding consistency of character. Each of us, no doubt, has an image in our minds of each of our characters, and how they talk and act. I'm no different. Therefore, it is an issue to us when other people Roleplay our characters and do it in such a way that we would not. This is the issue that Nev had with E of Alshire, and Nathan and E have referenced with regards to the characterization of Ajaxx.

When a Roleplayer's character is used in a way that the author of that character finds inappropriate for that character for some reason or another, it falls upon them, first and foremost, to determine if this breach of the character's true nature is severe enough to warrant bringing up with the offending Roleplayer.
Yes...this is a very good point to bring up. For example, I disliked it when Nathan made my Solesstorn out to be a slightly cowardly, and useless maverick mage, instead of the powerful, cold wizard I had always envisioned. But then I must also remember he may not have liked how I handled his Viktor during the Orion posts - I turned him into a rather naive, unaware and boring character, instead of the tough, witty and slightly rash soldier Nathan created. So basically, learn to accept others' mistakes as you would your own, and learn from them.
Formendacil wrote:After all, we as humans do not always act in perfectly consistent ways. An occasional bit of random/unexpectedness from someone else's Roleplaying may be a good thing.
This is a good idea to follow. When Nathan made Solesstorn protest about being unable to use magic against the giant scorpion, I had Solesstorn kill the scorpion with his staff and a sword instead. Makes a nice contrast, if you can have characters showing different strengths and weaknesses in different posts. So instead of getting angry about someone's change, just use it to your advantage.
Lord Nev wrote:I meant Kohran, that I am going to be an active member and hopefully bring the CCRP back to life. I guess I should learn how to write what I mean.
That's fine; it's great we have new members eager to write. It was just the manner you said it in that got me.

So post on, Nev, and don't take our (perhaps overzealous) chastising to heart.

- Matt
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Lord Nev wrote:Alright. Nathan, is it okay if Ajaxx holds the Lion' Mane captive for training dragons? I had a really cool escape plan going about and I really should have asked your permission.
Sure. Go ahead.
Lord Nev wrote:Also, I thought I read in the rules that one could auto someone's character without his/her permission. Correct me if I'm wrong but...
That is correct. However, the ower of a character you autoed has every right to object to how you autoed him/her/it.
Lord Nev wrote:Nathan, what tips could you give me so I don't completely screw up Ajaxx. It is very hard for my mind to pick out someon's character based on just their dialogue. Please bear with me.
I understand. Don't feel bad. As Matt noted above, I messed up with Solesstorn at first. For Ajaxx, he absolutely loaths magic and magic-users. He's also a brilliant chess player and battle stragtegist. He's also aloof and paranoid sometimes. He is also the Dragon Master king, and that's why I had to object to Ajaxx answering the door of the Fire Breathing Fortress to admit strangers.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Thanx alot! Okay next post comin' up! :D
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Is something wrong with my computer or did just all the stickied topics disappear? :shock:
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Maedhros wrote:Is something wrong with my computer or did just all the stickied topics disappear? :shock:
Gah!

It's probably the end of the world....
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

TheOrk wrote:It's probably the end of the world....
Does it have anything to do with the quote "End of the Roleplay" unquote?

Or is it just being "cleaned"? It was getting kinda busy up there.