Weekly Set Review: Battering Ram

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

I don't have this one, but I did stare at it in my catalogs for hours when I was younger. Nowadays, looking back at the "good ole days" makes me sad. For some reason, I just know LEGO is gonna go downhill and never return to their former glory.

Anyway, 6 knights! You get that many on a $99 castle these days. Minifigures were always an important point with me. They made things more personal, I guess.

The battering ram wouldn't work, sure, but look at the crap the newest sets try to pass off as siege weapons. This one gets my vote any day.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Ok, here's my weekly plug: this is set is second only to 6059-Knight's Stronghold as far as medium-size sets go. If only TLC would re-release this....
10/10

mD
mikeiona
Gong Farmer

Post by mikeiona »

Ah the battering ram, good memories. one of the first sets I ever got, or had, whatever (the first being a promotional race car from wheatabix). my half sister was giving me all her old lego, her being 20 somthin and me being 6, so my mum helped me make all of along with all the rest.

Many days of play were to be had, and when at 15 I got back into the lego thing and was (GASP!) calling them legos!!! The first set i found from the back of my wardrobe was the battering ram which I reasembled and marveled at its simple brilliance. I quickly expanded to make the wall into a fort and the battering ram into an army of men!

anyway a great set and to jojo I think black falcons should hae red hips!
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

mikeiona wrote:and to jojo I think black falcons should hae red hips!
Nope :-)

Bye
Jojo

Maybe I'd give them red hips myself if they had them in the bigger castle sets 6073 and 6074. But they have not.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I like this set very much too, but I have some bad points.

1-The Battering Ram, as another said, is not really accurate. This is fun to play with it however.

2-The demi-tower is nice only from the exterior. When you look from the inside, it's strange to have a demi tower. Lego could have add a stud to enlarge this tower. I tryied it and it look least strange.

But there are good points too.

1-It has a really good look. It's assymetric, as another said, and It make it realistic.

2-It's a great complement for 6074 and 6067.

3-I like the small door, because when you combine 6062, 6067 and 6074, the small door is the weak point of the castle and it add a lot for playing.

4- 6 minifigures in a medium set is fantastic.

So my note 8.5/10
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hmm... this was one of the great sets of yore, as any user can tell by all the rave comments of our very own Golden Oldies.

I am in complete agreement with them. This is, indeed, a great set. Useful grey wall, able to be fitted into the BFF and other buildings, lots of figs, very great seige tower in its rebuildability, as well as its relative scale to the walls. All in all, a great set. Pity that was only an April Fool's Day hoax last year...

Parts: 9/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 9/10
Nostalgia: 7/10

Overall Score: 8.17/10
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Hi guys!

I like this set alot. Its a great army builder. The battering ram could use a little more work, but I bet its awsome.

Imagine this set with 3 Shadow knights and 3 Morcian soldiers. Some how I don't think that's gonna happen.

Vladek's attack kit was the closest new set to this one. I hope Lego brings back the good old sets.
NinthCircle
Villein

Post by NinthCircle »

Yeah. This was one of my absolute favorite sets. I played with this set for countless hours. I had a blast just using the official set alone. And THEN... and then I connected it to my other castles. I'd slap the Siege Tower, Blacksmith's Shop and King's Castle all together and switch around the flags to make a giant King's Castle. Always wanted the BFF, but never wound up getting it.

I'd make keeps, guard towers, and even giant rolling stone forts out of this set. This was my absolute favorite mid-sized set. I agree with all the good stuff said before. Man, I loved the battering ram. I'd bulk up the door to make it more resistant and batter away until the door and part of the wall caved in and have whatever knights just swarm into the enemy. Man. Good memories.

Definately 10/10. The only improvement I can remember is wanting a couple more weapons.

Anyone else remember having multiple sets attached by Techinc pins and watching a whole section just flop down if the bigger castle section moved? I remember pieces flying everywhere when that happened. I used to hate that when I was in the heat of "battle". :wink:
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

I really like this set. I wish that Lego would make stuff like this agian. I would give this set a 10/10 rating. Everything that I would have said else has already been said.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I wish that Lego would make stuff like this agian.
They did. Almost exactly. This set.

However you feel about KK2, it's pretty impossible to deny that the two sets are exactly alike. Short wall section with three defenders, siege engine which is both a battering ram and siege tower. . . the only difference, functionally, is that the new set is more expensive (we call that inflation) and is short one minifig.

Anyway. . .

I have to agree with everyone here so far who have posted over the last couple years in this thread; this is a great set from the golden age. But I think it tends to get an even better review for the sake of nostalgia.

Fig count is great - six figs for a mid-size set. The wall section is also top notch. But there is a glaring low point in the set which tends to get overlooked, I think, because it's an oldschool set and people hate to say bad things about oldschool sets, especially in the age of KK2. That bad thing - the siege engine. Now, it's not terrible, but it's really, really not good, either. Sub-par design, with a rather flimsy look to it, and a very weak looking ram. It simply fails to impress.

Vladek's Siege Engine, a good comparison, while a KK2 set, is much sturdier looking, with a nice, thick battering ram and heavy wheels. Those two things would make the siege engine in this set much better, and thus add a great deal more value to the set in terms of how it looks.

From just a play value standpoint, the set is near-perfect. I remember having a lot of fun with this one as a kid, until it broke (I never saved instructions as a kid, so once a set broke it was deposited into a huge tub I had and used for parts).

Excellent set all around. But it needs a more sturdy-looking siege engine to really be a perfect 10.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

This set is great, lots of pieces and cool figs. I wish I was born a few years earlier, so I could have bought this set :cry: . I wish LEGO is going back to that style again some time, and with the old light gray. I can't find a good ammount of light gray pieces for a "not so abnormal high" price on bricklink now.
Damien wrote:

They did. Almost exactly. This set.
I cant agree with that. The building and seige engine have the same sort of building (tower-fortified wall, battering ram-seige tower) but the figures aren`t that cool as in 6062. They aren`t even comparible in my opinion. And look at those pieces and colours of the KK2 set.....

I give 6062 a 10/10 altrough the seige engine, as damien also said, is a bit odd.
jamtf
Freeman

Post by jamtf »

One of few classic castle sets that I do not own. But I like it. Seems to be a good set combined with other models such as 6073 and 6074 (since the wall is "owned" and defended by the Black Falcons). Also, it looks quite OK as a stand alone set.

The 6062 set was the successor to the 6061 Siege Tower set, a great set as well (with Crusaders only though and discontinued after 1986).
Fenneke-Jose
Peasant

Post by Fenneke-Jose »

Hi all,

I also have this beautiful set in combination with the BFF (6074)! Now I am safing money for 6073 to put them all together to one big Black Falcon Fortress.
This set is one of the best, enough soldiers (1:1), good parts.
I would say 9 out of 10 and in my top 10.
And to come back on the discusion of Green/white vs Blue/White flags. 6074 has no Blue/White flags! Only the knights have blue flags, but there is no single white flag in this set (but there were 2 yellow flags)! I think that they have forgotten this in 6074 (or they hadn't thought about it good enough) and then decided to give this set a white flag. So that there is always a combination of two flags I self have put some extra blue/white flags on 6074 and it really looks great!

Greetings,

José
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

WOW,this is one of legendary sets which makes castle theme the best...
Crusaders,Black Falcons,beautiful designed ram and not to say about connectivity of that tower/walls...

A great candidat for next legend,if there's going to be any unupdated...
Believe me :wink:

Greetings from Serbia
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

When I recently picked up this set I put it together played with it for a day and then sold it. I found the wall parts useful, and fun but the battering ram became other things very quickly. I thought it was great for parts and figs but since it was complete I sold it to someone collecting sets. I don't regret it though as I can easily put it together with parts I have.

10 of these would make great MOC fodder, not to mention army builders.
Where is that petition to Lego?

Cheers
Bert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear