2nd Battles Contest Entries

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I saw this last night and figured it was yours thanx to your hammer and guts :) I really like it,looks nice and packed though I cant see many BFs.One thing I would add is a viking boat :D

CHEERS`
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

My third (or is it my fourth?) entry,
a section of Royal Knights castle wall being attacked by the Black Falcons.
Folder: :D http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=175249
Let me know what you think.
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty
Histo-Sci
Laborer

Post by Histo-Sci »

First of all I want to say: Hothnir Ethelnor, GA-REAT battle scene! I like the wounded guy (Is that plume supposed to be spurting blood? Good idea...I didn't think of that...humph....). Nice scene there, and great signature too!

Histo-Sci Entry #4: Castle w/ opening interior

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=175119
(When public)

This castle was made by me in July of last year, just before I became an AFOL. It splits open in the middle to reveal a blacksmith's shop, prison, banquet hall, and (on the second level) a treasure room/keep with one side enclosed by a large black gate and with two slits in the walls for archers. Inside the castle's tiny courtyard is a well, a door into the banquet hall, and a small stable for the trusty steeds of the garrison. Please excuse the pictures--they are hard to follow somewhat because at this time I was rather inexperienced at taking Lego pictures. Anyway, this will be my last entry (unless I change my plans, which at this stage ain't likely). Constructive criticism is welcome--this castle is not my best! Too many colors in the walls really....

In our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

Histo-Sci
"...my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." --Martin Luther
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

And... Here is my last (Maybe) entry
A Vig set on the waterfront.
Overview: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hothi ... g_4164.jpg
Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=175252
I believe the scene is self explanatory.
P.S. I will be gone for the finals, I will be in Peru from April 3rd till the 11th so if I win anything don't expect to hear from me until the 12th. :D
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty
xeth
Gong Farmer

My entry

Post by xeth »

My entry follows.

His repeated attempts to bring The Kingdom to its knees thwarted, the leader of the Shadow Knights elected to lay waste to the lands and starve the people into submission. As an Ankorian Incinerator squadron makes its way through the kingswood, a contingent of knights and footmen is dispatched to stop the invaders before they bring destruction to the king's doorstep. To complicate matters, a small band of forest outlaws has approached to investigate and neutralize this new threat to their beloved wood's health.

Brickshelf Gallery (when public)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=175756
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

I like the burning trees (though I would never like them in real life), and simple use of the grey baseplate as burned ground (with ashes?).

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

jastermereel, great stone texture and mottle work. And I even see a war hammer in there :) My only critique is the ladder. Could have had some reinforcement, or perhaps could have been done in brick? The shot of the helmet flying off one of the attackers is thoughtful too as is the fallen warrior.

Hothir Ethelnor, nice attack scene. Althought the lighting is dark, I can see everything fine. You've done four already?? It's nice to see some samurai armor being used. It seems like a tendency to give the Black Falcons eastern equipment from the photos I have seen lately... very nice use of the plume as a bleeding wound (I was thinking about doing that actually.. guess I wasn't as creative as I thought...)

You have a great backstory xeth. I like the use of gray baseplate also. You would think that perhaps the Shadow Knights would use a burn and run tactic, though, but where would all the fun combat be? :)

As for myself, I'm not even close to finished with my one and only entry. I decided to be really ambitious for my first work in years (its looking a bit castle+battle-ish), so now I'm learning to appreciate that big goals require lots of time! I can't procrastinate given what little time is left. Wish me luck, please! :P

Good luck with anybody else in the same situation. My brother Stone Goblin's has been done for a while, and all that is required is to post the photos, so he should be doing that very soon. ^_^
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Xeth I really like your backstory,like others saaid I really like the simple use of the grey baseplate.The scene is cool but I think you should add a bit more battle to it,you know get some more shadow knights and fill it up. :) Great entry :)
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Histo-Sci
Laborer

Post by Histo-Sci »

Xeth that is really nice! I like the ashes and especially the burning trees. Good job!

In our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

Histo-Sci

My Brickshelf Gallery
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/galle ... =Histo-Sci
"...my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." --Martin Luther
xeth
Gong Farmer

Response

Post by xeth »

Thanks for all the kind praise!

I don't think the photos really do it justice. I'm not a photographer in any sense.

One of the things that deeply frustrated me is that minifigs just can't hold an axe properly (Not in anything beyond the standard "at arms" pose, anyway). As that is how the shadow knights are principally armed, I think it makes some of their action pretty flat.

I dunno, I guess I have a real love-hate relationship with minifigs. They're very antiposable, and it's difficult to get them to express any kind of complex action. On the other hand, they have this wonderful, cartoony-caricature look that makes them blend really nicely into a landscape of studs and blocks (whereas realistic figures would look jarringly out of place), and gives them a sort of colorful, emblematic feel.

Off to design a multijointed minifig arm...
-Xeth
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

Here is my entry and the back story.Please read this before you look at the pics.I am going to apologize before hand for the grammar and spelling mistakes I probly didnt catch in it.Enjoy :P

Just months after Carnacs return from the Great Eastern Battles, he launched an attack on the neighboring King Leo.His orcish legions meeting no resistance on the country side were able to assault the a large military outpost unaposed except by its inhabitants.King Leo, who just happened to be visiting the outpost at that time, quickly prepared his defences for the oncoming attack.He rallied what militia he could from the surounding areas but still found himself in short supply of men.

The attack came at dawn.Leos forces were completely outnumbered.The wall was swiftly taken, hundreds of evil minions swarmed over the wall.The fight had come to the castle and the men new that if they wanted to save there homeland they would have to stop Carnacs forces here or die trying.......

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=175605

please note that in pics 18, 19, 20, and 21 the mages and necromancers there are using earth and fire spells.You guys may or may not be able to tell
:lol:
Last edited by The dark tide on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

Oh, sorry about that.I am not what you would call a photo guy and I dont know how to make them smaller.If someone would tell me how to shrink them I will gladly do it.Again sorry :oops: