suggestions for naming characters

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I just recently used the name Bradwr. Its a welsh name, yet it means traitor, which is exactly who this character is. :wink:
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Shadow wrote:I just recently used the name Bradwr. Its a welsh name, yet it means traitor, which is exactly who this character is. :wink:
While you did choose the name on purpose, Ive once ran in into a pretty funny coincidence.

I named the death god of one of my old stories to Yachmar, later on I found out that in some arabic languange (not sure which) it meant donkey. Ok, now donkeys were the symbols of death... Wierd.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

Hehe... thats pretty funny. :D I used the 2000 names website, which I find to be very resourceful, as well as Maedhros.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Shadow wrote:Hehe... thats pretty funny. :D I used the 2000 names website, which I find to be very resourceful, as well as Maedhros.
Oh yes.... I´m resourceful.... :P
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The_Fright_Knight
Laborer

Post by The_Fright_Knight »

What I do is sometimes I choose a name from the way a charactor looks or dresses(eg.My lich has a C3-PO body and is Golden Death). For My main guy, I decide which sounds I like (K,R) and came up with the cool sounding name of Kurek.
"Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"
-Bilbo Baggins
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

I use some names from LOTR and mix around letters. It sounds rather cool. The tric is to find a use for them. I've got a whole page of names that only half of them I use.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I have trouble making names,it`s currently the reason I havent really started my story :cry: BTW does anyone know if the name "Girion" is in LOTR or did I come up with it myself :? ?
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

ZIGGY! wrote:I have trouble making names,it`s currently the reason I havent really started my story :cry: BTW does anyone know if the name "Girion" is in LOTR or did I come up with it myself :? ?
It's in The Hobbit. Girion was the Lord of Dale, before Smaug the dragon destroyed it. His descendent Bard killed Smaug, and restored Dale.

~Michael A. Joosten - Resident Tolkienologist~
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Drat!I suppose I`ll be using it anyway(I thought it had something to do with dale!),in my story Girion is a place not a person.

Thanks,Ziggy
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

Use EBON, the Everchanging Book of Names. It's very well made, but sometimes it just won't work. My advice is use it as soon as you download it, or it might not work after. :?
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
Danju the Clever
Artisan

Post by Danju the Clever »

I make names by banging on the keyboard in random patterens.
Example: Hybg
Then, I add vowels.
Example: Habyage
Then I remove letters i see unfit.
Example: Habage
And add letters I want.
Example: Heabeage
And in no time, a name solution that can be used for any setting!
LegoAddict
Peasant

Post by LegoAddict »

Danju the Clever wrote:I make names by banging on the keyboard in random patterens.
Example: Hybg
Then, I add vowels.
Example: Habyage
Then I remove letters i see unfit.
Example: Habage
And add letters I want.
Example: Heabeage
And in no time, a name solution that can be used for any setting!
Hmm, you should also use this technique when posting. Correct me if im wrong, but by the looks of things your only using the "random keyboard bashing" technique. You should use the rest of the steps you mentioned in your previous post. You might get something worth responding too.

Kyle
Danju the Clever
Artisan

Huh? I don't get what you're trying to say.
LegoAddict
Peasant

Post by LegoAddict »

Danju the Clever wrote:Huh? I don't get what you're trying to say.
What am I trying to say is, 90% of your post do not add to the forum in anyway. Apparently its hard for you to sense sarcasm over the internet. I was implying that your posts would be better off not posted at all. So I suggested that you use your own technique for naming minifigures, in your posts. So the sarcasm was your post stink, so it seems as if your just using the random keyboard bashing technique, and not following up with the rest of the steps that you mentioned. You have dug up about 10 dead threads, and in everyone you have been asked not to do it unless you have something to add .As far as I can see you have yet to add anything in any of the threads you have dug up. You are just posting lame comments to get your post count up. Its not the quanity Danju its the quality.

Kyle
Danju the Clever
Artisan

I AM NOT!
I am simply trying to shed light on topics I find interesting, okay, Stop bothering me! You're really getting my mad now.