Merchant Ship

Discussion of general LEGO topics
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Merchant Ship

Post by architect »

In 1990 I created a small ship from my Carribean Clipper set. A year ago I made rendered instructions. Yesterday I built a version using only pieces from the Black Seas Barracuda. Check out my Merchant Ship:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=25253

Let me know what you think.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I have always been partial to ships in a castle setting. After all the Normans came to England in ships, the Vikings, etc. Since Ancient civilization ships were used to transport goods, weapons, men and everything else that was not nailed down! I like the style and colour scheme you have used. The last time I had a large scale set-up I had a port village with the economic neccesities and my castles for two factions were farther "inland". I bought a renegade runner just to modify for a merchant ship.
Troy T. Moore
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I like the style and colour scheme you have used.
Thanks. I enjoyed making it. I also am a big fan of making alternate sets from LEGO sets. This is a pirate creation, but it would be great to see castle ships. That would be a cool set - a large medieval ship.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Thats a really cool thing you did there. I like how you put the middle ship section in a different way.
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

You can also pick up an Emperor's Ship (7416) for about $20 from just about anywhere. The ship is a good foundation for a medium size ship for any use. I picked up a couple at TRU a few months back at half price. They'll be converted to merchant use.

And yes, I like your merchant ship. I think I should tear apart my Black Seas Baracuda and make some smaller vessels for my Castle theme. :D

-Rich
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

You can also pick up an Emperor's Ship (7416) for about $20 from just about anywhere. The ship is a good foundation for a medium size ship for any use. I picked up a couple at TRU a few months back at half price. They'll be converted to merchant use.
I really like the Emperor's Ship but I find that the scale is a bit smaller than what I am looking for. I want ships that are inbetween the scale of Pirate ships and smaller sets.
And yes, I like your merchant ship. I think I should tear apart my Black Seas Baracuda and make some smaller vessels for my Castle theme.
Thanks, I am glad you liked it. Creating several merchant ships that pirates can chase after is a lot of fun.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Joel Hart
Gong Farmer

Post by Joel Hart »

I bought a half dozen of the emperors ships at brickfest. I have been wanting to build a few ships for my samuri/ninja forces and the emp's ship with the sales fits the bill!

On a shipbuilding note, I was recently in North Carolina and visted the Elizabeth II, a 15th century merchant ship replica. It is similar to the ships at Jamestown but is much more accessable. I was able to go into the hold, captains cabin and fo'castle. There were two gentlemen on board, dressed in period clothes and speaking with presumably elizabethian accents. They were very knowledgable and my fater, who was a sailor, and I could have spent hours asking them questions.
See you on the beach! (Shameless plug for Virginia Beach Tourism)