Weekly Set Review: Viking Boat Against the Wyvern Dragon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Viking Boat Against the Wyvern Dragon

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 7016 Viking Boat Against the Wyvern Dragon.

Viking Boat Against the Wyvern Dragon was released in 2005. Two vikings armed with swords and round shields fight a small dragon. Their ship has a single mast, oars, a tiller, jewels, and various accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The first viking review:

My only complaint about this set is the very long name. I am not sure why LEGO made entire sentences into titles. Connecting two pirate row boats is very clever. A sail on the mast would have been nice but may have increased cost from $10 (which is very reasonable). The figures are great as well. I prefer these two to the single viking in 7015. This is the best army builder of the Vikings line so far.

Ben
Legoholic
Villein

Post by Legoholic »

I loved this set when I got it and it has great playibility and good for building armys except the dragon is a piece of crud compared to others but the boat is fine but you lose intrest after you buy the longboat lol but I'd say buy it VIKINGS RULE!!!! :lol:
Join the war against Megablocks!

Yay Mac! Put this in your sig if you use a Macintosh computer. by smcginnis
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

I loved the idea of combining two rowboats but the gap is pretty obvious from some angles, the set is also in desperate need of a sail. The fig with the oversized axe is my least faviourite of the vikings so I wouldn't consider this an army builder (as oppposed to the smaller wolf set) but I ended up getting this for the shields...

God Bless,

Nathan
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I think this is a great army builder when combined with the Fenris set, as this is the only Viking set to have more shields than figs. I like this set, the design is clever. Sure it needs a sail, but they made a nice little ship without making a new boat piece. There was also a mismold in the early runs of this set. The technic hole under the mast base was turned 45 degrees, making impossible to build the set correctly. My first two copies this set came that way.

Hey Ben, in your set picture I think the wyvern wings are on backwards...

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Having just gotten this yesterday(as well as another Fenris Wolf one) I can give it a full review. :)

To make a long story short I agree with everyone about the design and the need for a sail. The vikings are awsome and the wyvern is solid.

My only problem is that they don't give you shields for the vikings. When you take them off the boat, it looks like it has two gaping holes in it.

Design:8/10
Playbuility: 8/10
Minifigs: 8/10
Cost:8/10

Overall:8/10
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

Just picked this set up on sale.

Pros: Like the figs, like the axe, clever use of rowboats.
Cons: Dragon not very flexible/posable, flimsy legs, shields are stickered, no sail, the "dragon head" at the front of the boat could use a couple more parts to flesh out the detail, for example, see 1547 or 6018.

Overall, I'd say this set is good, there's room for improvement, but still worth buying.

Anyone find that the viking helmets don't stay on the viking's heads all that well?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

JoshWedin wrote: Hey Ben, in your set picture I think the wyvern wings are on backwards...

Josh
Thanks for pointing that out. The photography team will make these changes later.

Ben
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

Not bad set. I heard that some people's masts were deformed. Not mine! :D. Mine did not come with two sets of wings though :evil: I think that the boat is sort of lame, but the characters are nice. Would be better with more characters and no boat. I don't understand the hidden jewels between the boats. Maybe they are there so that they are protected :?. I don't know
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Anubisconq wrote:I don't understand the hidden jewels between the boats. Maybe they are there so that they are protected :?. I don't know
I don't know exactly what they're doing there, but they do stop small parts from getting stuck in there.
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

My first Vikings set.

I absolutely loved the minifigures, especially the sand green torso. The helmets fall off a little too easily though. I really like the boat, the joining of two was very clever.

I'm not so sure about the dragon beastie though, it doesn't seem too "threatening"? I think an island or a couple of grey rocks would've been better?
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Recently got it.
Good:Great figs,2 sheilds(the ones on the side don`t count)Wyvern`s decent,and overall great playability!
Not so good:Wyvern isn`t very posable,Ship badly needs sail,and all the vikings helms fall off easily.

Rating:8/10
Notice we just seem to be echoing eachother :wink:
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

One of the first Vikings I got.

Me likey: the sheilds, the bodies, the heads, the weapons, the clever boat usage, the look of the Wyvern from above

Me no likey: no handles for sheilds, a KK2 sword though remarkably they look rather good on the Vikings, Wyvern is flimsy,

all in all rhis set=9/10
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
fuzzy
Laborer

Post by fuzzy »

wonderful. I got 1 of them in disneyworld.
Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
little darling, it seems like years since its been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
and i say its all right
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I really like this set, especially the way they used the existing boat pieces. I even like the wyvern. I have a couple of idea's for those wings and its always nice to have a fishing pole or two.

It does have two down-sides though:

First, it doesn't have a sail. This would have been a relatively simple and I would think cheap addition and would have made the set ten times better. They could have just used the sail from the pirate raft raider set but used the red and white striped cloth. This isn't the deal breaker on the set for me.

The second downside is the stickers on the shields. I can never get the stickers to go on [anything] straight, so I never use them, so rather than having any shields here all I have are four more pretty useless black disks. This is why I probably won't buy another copy of this set.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]