Weekly Set Review: Dark Fortress Landing

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Dark Fortress Landing

Post by architect »

Join the Classic Castle alternate model discussion. Please post your opinions of the models' play ability, creativity, design, etc. Which models stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 8802 Dark Fortress Landing

Dark Fortress Landing was released in 2005 for Knight's Kingdom II. It was part of a Toys R Us exclusive set, 65767 Attack from the Sea, also containing 8801 Knight's Attack Barge.

This small fortress is hinged in the center and features a dock, stair, double doors, falling fireballs, and a guard tower. A small sail boat, Vladek, a shadow knight, and various accessories are included.

Last edited by architect on Wed May 17, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Currently the cheapest set with those black doors. The brown stairs are nice, too, as are the dark tan plates. Everything else doesn't seem worth the thirty dollar price to me, (including the barge).

Still a decent set, though. I'd buy it on sale.
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Is`nt it twenty when you buy it with the boat?Anyway,I didn`t get as much KK2.2 as planned,in fact I only got the battle wagon and 2 copies of FC.this set looked pretty good:stairs,blackdoors,those slopey rock peices,not to bad for parts and when you buy the combination the playability is great!Overall a decent set but really only with the ship because of price.
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
LegoAddict
Peasant

Post by LegoAddict »

I hate this set, its ugly. For the parts the price is not worth it. Its just....terrible. My homepage is CC and whenever I open the internet the first thing Im going to see for the next week is this thing :x :x :x . I can honestly say that I cant find anything good about this. If I had to pick one thing though, I would say the doors. Anyways Im getting mad just writing about this, so bye for now.

.333/10

Kyle
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

Not many usefull part and for the size of it definitely lacks additional minifigs. I do not like the boat as it seems like TLC had too many of this type left from the Pirate Theme which have to be sold. I supose that the right thing to do when s.o. wants to get rid of something left is to put it on sale on reasonable price and not trying to come out with the same old mean trick every time. One Timmy is enough!
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I don´t know about the price so I can´t say if it would be worth it or not but all in all it looks ok... Yes, it has that juniorized look with all huge parts that all KK2 sets have but for being a KK2 set I actually like it. Could have been worse ;)

Some nice black and dark red parts... and those black doors I need more of. It had been much better with another Shadow Knight though..
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hmm, I can agree with LegoAddict that some parts of this set are ugly, I do'nt like the use of those big castel-wall pieces and I wish there could be brick-made solutions in stead.

That said I would never dream of buying this set and then let it stick arround longer than perhaps a week, if I had a lot of thing to do that was'nt Lego related, of course. If you are my age and buy this, it's for the pieces and NOTHING ELSE. :D There are plenty of second hand sets out there from the golden days.

joel.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

I think this set is great, it has many useful pieces in it that you would normally have to buy more expensive sete to get. DO that or shop at bricklink. :lol:
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Personally, I think that the set is a good deal for the price. Besides the fortress, it comes with the barge, which has 6 of the inverted 1x3 slopes, useful for building a castle bases. Even the fortress is cool if you by two and put them back to back.
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

Does anyone know how much this set runs for?
NinthCircle
Villein

Re: .............................

Post by NinthCircle »

The dark tide wrote:Does anyone know how much this set runs for?
As has been said, it was a co-pack with the Knight's Attack Barge. It retailed for 30 USD at TRU and LEGO stores. The sets are roughly the same size so I assume it should be a $15 set(it averages a little higher on BL).

Unfortunately, I bought the co-pack. There are some cool pieces in the landing (like the doors and the stairs), but that's about it. It's comprised of enormous pieces that don't inspire me to build anything. The official model has a somewhat dynamic look, but it comes at the cost of having strange gaps and awkward interiors: also, the "flame dispenser" on the wall looks too futuristic, but works pretty well. I like the color pallete of the Shadow Knights, but not the huge pieces.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I kind of like this set. I has some good parts, including the doors (and hinges), the brown rock piece, the stairs and the sloping rock faces.

On the down side, the price is a little high and it is KK2.

The set design is fair... better than several other KK2 sets I can think of off hand.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Well, I can't say much about the price, although it may be a bit high... still, I kind of like this set. As noted, the pieces are a bit... large... but I like the idea of the dark walls coming out of a rocky coast, with the gates being the only way into Vladek's dark kingdom... I guess when it comes to factions, LEGO really got me with the scorpians.

Not a bad little set for "now-a-days", I haven't bought it yet because I've been travelling, but I'll be picking it up from E-Bay for sure~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Anubisconq
Bailiff

Post by Anubisconq »

I love it! I think it is one of the best KK2 sets because it actually works for a wall.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

A small fort for the bad guys...7/10
I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all