Dying bricks with Vinyl Dye - the result

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
amadeus
Apprentice

Post by amadeus »

ottoatm wrote:Wow... this worked really well on both counts! The purple knight looks very official, as others have said - but I actually prefer the first knight... he seems like the perfect horde knight, or some sort of barbarian.

This was a very nice experiment - I'm tempted to get some of the other colors now that I've seen what you've managed to pull off.
Never do that. Because the connection thing in the inside will get filled with paint, and it drys and renders the helmet unusable. Trust me, I ruined a prefectley good white helmet this way.
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

amadeus wrote:
ottoatm wrote:Wow... this worked really well on both counts! The purple knight looks very official, as others have said - but I actually prefer the first knight... he seems like the perfect horde knight, or some sort of barbarian.

This was a very nice experiment - I'm tempted to get some of the other colors now that I've seen what you've managed to pull off.
Never do that. Because the connection thing in the inside will get filled with paint, and it drys and renders the helmet unusable. Trust me, I ruined a prefectley good white helmet this way.
Actually, if you read ALL the posts, you will see that Vinil Dye is absorved by the plastic.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

SavaTheAggie wrote: Do I need to start a service of reselling the stuff when I find it? ;)
LEGO Blue, Black, and White please.
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
amadeus
Apprentice

Post by amadeus »

Luís wrote:
amadeus wrote:

Actually, if you read ALL the posts, you will see that Vinil Dye is absorved by the plastic.
Oh, sorry then. I've done it before with Testors permanent modeling paint. That stuff won't rub off at all. And I destroyed a knight's visor doing that, now I only have one.

I'm not familiar with vinil dye, is it anything like vinil paint? Because that it was I thought you were taling about. Vinil paint is very thick.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

amadeus wrote:I'm not familiar with vinil dye, is it anything like vinil paint? Because that it was I thought you were taling about. Vinil paint is very thick.
Nope, it is not like paint at all. A helpful difference here: Paint covers a surface with pigment, whereas Dyes change the color of the surface itself. Think of the different of painting your shirt and dyeing your shirt.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

Sorry I am late to the topic but these look pretty good. I like both of the shades and may consider trying this.
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

wow, these seem so perfect. I hope I can find some, so would this like work on armor to? without making it thicker? is it in a spray can?
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
Morgan19
Artisan

Post by Morgan19 »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
TwoTonic Knight wrote:Half a year later, and I've never found this stuff.
Do I need to start a service of reselling the stuff when I find it? ;)
Quite possibly... :lol: I'm still looking for any stores that carry this stuff in my area and have had zero zippo zilch no luck.

m19
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

Morgan19 wrote:
SavaTheAggie wrote:
TwoTonic Knight wrote:Half a year later, and I've never found this stuff.
Do I need to start a service of reselling the stuff when I find it? ;)
Quite possibly... :lol: I'm still looking for any stores that carry this stuff in my area and have had zero zippo zilch no luck.

m19
I already been to 2 different stores and they just look at me funny.
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]