New Castle 10176 Pictures

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

Oooh, deja vu.

Well, this dont look as half bad as it could be, i think i saw a light gray speas laying around there. And no wonder the dwarwen, excuse me, short blacksmith is so grumpy, look at what he have to make. And its really nice to see a ghost again.

Erik
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Architect, is that baseplate light green or normal green?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

E of Alshire wrote:Architect, is that baseplate light green or normal green?
The one I saw was normal green. These images seem to be a bit bright. Now I haven't seen a boxed copy yet, but it should be normal green.

Ben
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

architect wrote:
E of Alshire wrote:Architect, is that baseplate light green or normal green?
The one I saw was normal green. These images seem to be a bit bright. Now I haven't seen a boxed copy yet, but it should be normal green.

Ben
Sometimes post-production image editing can do that. If you'll notice the blue in the pictures, it seems like a bright blue, just like the green seems to be bright green. In fact they seem to almost glow. If the editors were having a problem with lighting, or whiting out the background without actually removing it, they may have fiddled with the brightness and contrast or the color balance of the images. I've really had to fight that sort of thing before.

But that's just a guess.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
AmberStone
Serf

Post by AmberStone »

I think I might buy this castle set. I'm a bit disappointed that it's similar to King Leo's Castle, this is like Generation III for this design. I suppose the raised baseplate doesn't leave much room for new ideas, the forge is a nice addition.

Thanks for the link, Fry_slayer, I didn't know there was a 'story' attached the KK III line... the linear story throughout the KK waves are interesting.
Eh? This is pre.. or post Morcian?
I think this is Post-Morcian... Jayko is King now and older. I think this Castle can easily be the progression of the Morcia Castle, over time [50 years?] additions and such were made and became this Castle.

I'm interested in the Ghost and the Wizard. Definitely a callback to Royal Knights. The Dog is an interesting touch.
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Ahhhhhhhhhhh....The return of Retroish Castle! 8)

This looks cool. I really want to see smaller big ones for a more *ahem* reasonable price. Black Euro galore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D no complaints here!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Compositionally, I like it. I'm fine with the colors, though sticker flags??! Alas, some of us are spoiled with castles that are FULLY ENCLOSED, but I suppose that's just how things are nowadays. The blue spires are a nice design, and it's good to see more light bley lion busts/motifs(?). Is that another catapult I see in there?

This is one set I would wait for a 'buy 1 get one half off' type of sale... I would peg a set like this at 60 or 70 perhaps, but not 100.

Lego, it doesn't matter how fast you turn out a new season of sets to save money if you're pricing like this: If you are catering to new Lego buyers, prices like this are antipathic. Not to mention the content and style of the sets still leaves much to be desired from the AFOL's.

Grade: C

And yeah, who was in charge of outputting this image? Lay off the saturation please! :P
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Disappointing.

Is it just me, or does this castle look a bit too much like an updated version of 6098? Here we are with another castle with a non-functioning drawbridge (no actual mechanism to raise or lower the bridge) and another gate without a gatehouse. I really wish LEGO would show Castle fans the same respect they show fans of other themes (excluding Space fans of course :P ). We've seen alot of fantastic models for other themes, but when it comes to the Castle line, LEGO seems to have determined that throwing a few large wall pieces together with a couple of LURPS, BURPS and the rare brick constitutes a castle.

Sure, it has a few details that throw back to6090 as well, but overall this set seems quite uninspired. Its almost as if LEGO doesn't even care about this line. For me, this is a definite pass.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Slobey
Foot Soldier

Post by Slobey »

This set seems to be more a collection of uselul peices to me than a well designed set.

I'll definatly buy it at some stage for the peices it contains, not to display like the older sets. We need a few more stand alone good sets like Vladeks Dark Fortress and the Viking Fortress
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has limits
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

More evidence that TLC has decided to take it up a notch! Could this be the return of true castle sets? The drawbridge doesn't work, this entices you to make one that does! No story book, is that what I understand? Entices you to make it up. All very positive stuff folks.

Is it perfect, heck no. Is it better, you bet your sweet axel piece it is. Is it too much to hope that castle has truely returned?
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Peppermint Pig wrote: This is one set I would wait for a 'buy 1 get one half off' type of sale... I would peg a set like this at 60 or 70 perhaps, but not 100.

Lego, it doesn't matter how fast you turn out a new season of sets to save money if you're pricing like this: If you are catering to new Lego buyers, prices like this are antipathic.
LEGO will not be selling large castles for $60-70. In fact they haven't since 1990 (1993 if you count set 6082 as a castle). The new castle is comparable in size and shape to 6091/6098 King Leo's Castle and 8781 Castle of Morcia which both cost atleast $90.

The difference is that this set has more figures. Leo's and Morcia both have eight figures. Unless LEGO changed this at a late date, 10176 has 12 minifigures: King, wizard, blacksmith, lion knight, bull knight, armored bull siege worker, two spearmen, one crossbowman, a ghost, and two skeletons.

Four extra figures justify an extra $10 in the cost of the set. I also would have preferred printed shields and flags. Since those shields and flags are not used in other current sets, I am sure it is not cost effective to print the pieces (which is quite expensive).

Ben
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

wunztwice wrote: And is it me or does the wizard only have a plain torso? hmmph
I didn't think twice of your comment and wasn't into details on the instruction the other day. Then something caught my eyes... the smity is on blank torso also... then for some weird reason unlike traditional type of LEGO instruction there are no figs lining up on the start of the instruction.

This prompted me to look further into the instruction .... and on Page69 on the instruction i believe i found the reason... apparently all the figs in this set is on blank torso, and all shields also will also come in blank, should this instruction be the final version of the set. And i initially thought only the flags suffer from it...

People, be prepare to embrace the Age of Stickers
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Fryslayer]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://brickgamers.blogspot.com/]BrickGamers[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Fry_slayer wrote:People, be prepare to embrace the Age of Stickers
Please keep in mind that this is a Shop at Home exclusive and not the main set of the Knight's Kingdom II line. Recently LEGO has made more printed shield designs for KKII than any castle line in the past. The difference is that each of those shields can be used in 3-4 sets. When produced in large quantities it makes sense to print shields, armor, and flags. For a on time SAH set it does not. I would expect KKII sets to continue to have printed armor and shields.

Ben
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

architect wrote:When produced in large quantities it makes sense to print shields, armor, and flags. For a on time SAH set it does not.
A pleasurable explaination but i am afraid this will not do, what about the pit crews of sets like 8375? Were they S@H exclusive? My view of it is more like the higher decision makers at TLC are "testing the water" to see how much can their fans and customers alike can tolerate a certain missing in quality/expectation or they are in some survival mode, i wont know for sure. I sincerely hope this sort of issue is a temparory phase due to technical / financial pressure. Can you imagine a day when most LEGO figs come in sticker torsos while Megabloks ones are printed?

Not that this will affect me much though, for i will make all of them either quarter or cross with semi permanent solution. As for the shield stickers? I can mass produce them DIY, but a certain time honored tradition is lost though.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Fryslayer]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://brickgamers.blogspot.com/]BrickGamers[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Fry_slayer wrote:
architect wrote:When produced in large quantities it makes sense to print shields, armor, and flags. For a on time SAH set it does not.
A pleasurable explaination but i am afraid this will not do, what about the pit crews of sets like 8375? Were they S@H exclusive?
No, all of the Ferarri sets are available at Toys R Us. Some of them are also at Walmart and Target. I think stickers for Ferarri sets are different. There are so many small logos on different parts of the cars that they have to make sticker packs. If you are already making a pack, why not add ones for the pit crew figures?
My view of it is more like the higher decision makers at TLC are "testing the water" to see how much can their fans and customers alike can tolerate a certain missing in quality/expectation or they are in some survival mode, i wont know for sure. I sincerely hope this sort of issue is a temparory phase due to technical / financial pressure. Can you imagine a day when most LEGO figs come in sticker torsos while Megabloks ones are printed?
I would not get too worried yet. LEGO Direct items are different than system play themes like Knight's Kingdom. I am concerned about the sticker flags and wall panel pieces on the new KKII sets. I will pass along your concerns about stickers.

Ben