BrickFest 2006 Castle: Official Planning Thread

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
architect
Baron von Ellermann

BrickFest 2006 Castle: Official Planning Thread

Post by architect »

Cynthia Bradham and I are the Castle Room Coordinators for BrickFest 2006. We are planning sessions for each day. Please give us your feedback

Set up and staffing meeting: Castle fans meet to finalize the display and discuss staffing of the castle area for the Saturday and Sunday expos.

Catapult Contest: We would like to standardize projectiles for the contest. Basketballs and soccer balls would be small projectiles and Duplo balls http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/23065 would be the large projectiles. In addition to the traditional distance competition, we plan on having an accuracy competition. This would involve aiming projectiles through a board with circles cut out of it. There would be awards for most accurate catapults and longest shots.

Castle Set Trivia Contest: Compete in this trivia contest about LEGOLAND Castle to win various classic sets.

Show and Tell: This is the traditional session where people introduce their castle mocs to the group.

Castle Building Techniques: Several presenters discuss tips for creating various castle spaces and details.

Castle Community Roundtable: This is a fan discussion about adding more castle displays in lug events, increasing castle fan input to LEGO, and the current state of the online castle community.

Do these sessions interest you? Are you likely to participate in the castle contests? Would you like to help present a session? Is there another type of session we should be holding?

We also need to begin planning the physical display. The layout will be a rectangle made of tables with an open center for us to stand in and answer the public’s questions. Please contact me at bellermnn@yahoo.com if your castle moc is larger than two large grey base plates. These large mocs will be placed on the rectangle’s corners and centers with smaller mocs (including the CCC standard) in between.

Ben Ellermann and Cynthia Bradham
BrickFest 2006 Castle Coordinators
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Just wanted to mention that I'm planning on running BrickQuest again this year. Although I haven't finished planning it, it will be more like a typical quest where 5-10 adventurers battle evil Orcs to save the princess. Or something like that.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Glencaer wrote:Just wanted to mention that I'm planning on running BrickQuest again this year. Although I haven't finished planning it, it will be more like a typical quest where 5-10 adventurers battle evil Orcs to save the princess. Or something like that.

-Lenny
Excellent. Which day and time are you planning to have BrickQwest? Do we need a room for the game?

Ben
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

n00b question. Are you planning on doing the huge castle wall/town setup again this year? Because missing that was one of my huge regrets for not being able to go last year.
~ RS
lack of parts = innovation
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Your only regret should have been that you didn't see Ulmaris in person! ;) Just kidding.

I, regrettably, will most likely (99.99% sure) not be able to attend this year. However, I do have a suggestion. Perhaps we should have a open meeting to discuss possible updates and revisions to the CCC standard of building. You know, keep it fresh. Several builders have begun creating two types of wall segments, the original and one double height. Another recent proposal in this forum was for a terrain standard.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
SgtDuckMan
Villein

Post by SgtDuckMan »

this sucks all this talk about brickfest makes me want to go mean while I'm stuck hear in ontario :<
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

SgtDuckMan wrote:this sucks all this talk about brickfest makes me want to go mean while I'm stuck hear in ontario :<
People from Ontario often go to BrickFest. Greg Hyland for example. But this thread is for planning only. Complaining, groaning and other negativity can go elsewhere.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
brickerik
Serf

Post by brickerik »

I will bring my two window techniques at BrickFest :

* SNIR window

viewtopic.php?p=30104

*3 wide window

viewtopic.php?p=70599

Impatient to be at Brickfest ! :D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Those are nice windows. I look forward to viewing their construction. I also have a few new techniques, but those will not be revealed until fest ;)

Ben
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

I am bringing a few smaller castle "marketplace" type displays that can be put inside a larger display, provided you're doing something like that. I also have a bunch of people (groups of knights, etc) that can populate a town.

And, I'm local. Let me know if you all need anything.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Recluce wrote:I am bringing a few smaller castle "marketplace" type displays that can be put inside a larger display, provided you're doing something like that. I also have a bunch of people (groups of knights, etc) that can populate a town.

And, I'm local. Let me know if you all need anything.
Could you build a few fields for the farm standard? http://www.classic-castle.com/ccc/farmstandard.html

I have thousands of stems. But if castle fans could bring the fields we can make a huge farmland display.

Ben
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

I'll check to see what my brown supply looks like. I know I used a lot in my store display, and also in my Roman town. But I think I could still make one or more.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Recluce wrote:I'll check to see what my brown supply looks like. I know I used a lot in my store display, and also in my Roman town. But I think I could still make one or more.
That would be great :) Black would also work for a few really fertile fields.

Ben