What got you into Castles?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

for me, it started with my dad finding an old castle set in the basement.
I have been hooked ever since
I have 17 historical books on castle,
15 are from england
7 swords,3 tower sheilds, 9 helmets.

It is not a hobby, but an obsession
A passing hobby, my dear boy! If you want to talk obsession:

I've been keenly interested in the medieval period throughout most of my life. My gravitation toward, and continued interest in LEGO castle is a direct result of that love of the medieval era. I have well over 100 - probably closer to 250, books on the subject. I have over a dozen real swords (as opposed to wallhangers), almost as many wasters and training blunts, numerous shields, and a full 12th century Norman kit (helm, hauberk w/ coif, chausses), as well as other accoutrements of war.

Given my passion for the period, an interest in any 'Castle' toy is simply elementary.

You know I think every man in the world wants to be like that in his heart. Maybe he doesn’t know it, but I think it’s there in most of us. The urge to protect the weak and innocent, to lead, to defend the women and children, to know without a doubt that we are doing right by God and man. It seems unattainable today, but I think it’s possible when a man has the right guide and his strength is well placed.
Well spoken!
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

The Green Knight wrote: You know I think every man in the world wants to be like that in his heart. Maybe he doesn’t know it, but I think it’s there in most of us. The urge to protect the weak and innocent, to lead, to defend the women and children, to know without a doubt that we are doing right by God and man. It seems unattainable today, but I think it’s possible when a man has the right guide and his strength is well placed.
I agree, well said.

What got me into castle I think is because it's one of my favorite periods in history. But also what got me into castle well, was LEGO. See, when I was a child, my first LEGO was all hand me downs from my youngest uncle. Mainly it was basic bricks of various colors (early 1980's). Well, when I started getting very into it, I was shopping with my parents at a home improvement convention and I happened to come across a educational toy booth. That's when I saw the set 6066. I knew the tale of Robinhood, and immediately I wanted the set, that was the first real LEGO set I recieved, and it took off from there. That got me into more LEGO castle, and then as I got older it got me more and more interested in the period of history.
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

A little late... I rarely look into this forum.

Well I got the yellow castle in 1979....so the question is, did I get into castle because of the Lego castle or did I want that set because I already liked castle? I was 7 yrs old at the time.

I have 7 books on medieval arms and armour, 2 books on armour construction (modern techniques with historical results and one historical) I made my first "chest armour with articulating shoulder armour" (I used metal cladding, pounded out the ribs and used inner tube for the articulation) when I was 11, my first steel sword when I was 12.... I have made a few helms about 5 years ago, a Wisby coat of plates, scabbards for my real swords (all Del Tin). I have a forge and anvil as well as a few tools for blacksmithing, have woven maille (complete hauberk and coif) and have toyed around with authentic rivetted maille. I participated in the SCA about 6 yrs ago when we lived closer to a group and had more time. I watch medieval movies over and over and over again, the more historically accurate the better. I have a tunic and trews (a few sets), 14th century turn shoes I made, some pouches....

I dress up and get "medieval" on my kids with foam weaponry (boffers) during the summer months.

Ofcourse Lego.... combines my 2 great affections; medival life and warfare, and the brick.
Troy T. Moore
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Well, I read The Lord of the Rings far before it was made into a movie, but all of my friends that I LEGO'd with were still into Star Wars. It was'nt until the movies came out that any of my friends liked Castle, much less built in it.

-Ethan
Histo-Sci
Laborer

Post by Histo-Sci »

The Green Knight wrote:
You know I think every man in the world wants to be like that in his heart. Maybe he doesn’t know it, but I think it’s there in most of us. The urge to protect the weak and innocent, to lead, to defend the women and children, to know without a doubt that we are doing right by God and man. It seems unattainable today, but I think it’s possible when a man has the right guide and his strength is well placed.
SUPERB wording Green Knight! I could not agree more. God commands us men to defend others, especially women and children, at all costs, whether we die doing it or not.

Anyway, I don't really know why I love medieval stuff so much. I've always liked castle Legos, and while they have not always been my favorite (as a kid, I mean), they were always close up there. I never was a big "history" buff as a kid (although you could never tell), mainly because it is portrayed so boringly (i.e., through movies, etc.). I mean, I loved Davy Crockett and a little of that kind of thing, but never seriously was a a "Histo" maniac like I am now (although I was always the dino freak). When I really started digging history is when I discovered (or rather was introduced to) the historical fiction novels of G.A. Henty. That must be part of the reason I love medieval stuff so much today; because his medieval books are his best in my opinion. So to be honest I really can't say when all this started (at least pertaining to castle Legos); but Henty sure helped me on the history, and in turn urged me on to be even more of a medieval fan! Maybe it's because I like the style of fighting...it's hard to beat swords and axes being swung around. Modern warfare almost seems less satisfying in the "interest" level, but is sadly no less brutal (as proven by D-Day, etc.).

In our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

Histo-Sci

My Brickshelf Gallery
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/galle ... =Histo-Sci
"...my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen." --Martin Luther
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

My hometown is pretty medieval...
It was a capitol of Serbian Kingdom back then...in the middle ages...
I was playing in the fortress my whole life...I'm sure that got me into castles

You should see the great fortress of Smederevo... and its Despot Djuradj's castle... I will post pictures in the Yellow Castle review as soon as I get them...Just for those who don't believe in yellow castles :wink:
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

Interesting thread!...

The thing that got me into Castle was definetely my love for history. By the time I was 10, I was already reading University textbooks on ancient and medieval history. :roll: Nevertheless I wanted to recreate the feeling and that's where LEGO comes. To be honest, I was torn between Castle and Pirates, because by the time I started collecting LEGO, I was (and still am) a huge fan of Pirate novels.
Jake, of the Palace Guard
Laborer

Post by Jake, of the Palace Guard »

I suppose it's because I've always liked history, and it seemed to the young me that this was definately one of the cooler periods of history. It grew from there, I suspect... :)
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

Well, here is how it started:

I went to my parents friends house with them at age 8. They let me play a computer game. It was non other than Age Of Empires. I had no computer at the time. Eventualy, 3-4 years later, we could afford one. By then, I was playing Age Of Empires, cause I had bought it. I was still not-so-inthused about lego, it was my dark ages. Then I started making medieval towns for lego RP's for my cousins when they came over. That's when the hook set. Now I'm hear. And I'm happy.

Attempted medieval projects of a teen:

Mail out of same size key chain rings.
Progress: Two key chain rings lay linked on my dresser for two years.

Throwing star out of metal ruler.
Progress: It was sharp, looked like a large star. I threw it, lost it in the grass, then, a day later, hear a loud clank while dads mowing the lawn.

Bracers out of foam.
Progress: The mom decided to clean my room one day. I wonder if I could find them at the dump?

Armor out of foam.
Progress: "look at the mess!" Quote from a loving and supportive mom. Guess the rest :P

Large square shield out of wood.
Progress: Well, I duct taped the edges so it wasn't sharp, made an arm strap. held it on with duct tape. Do you know that duct tape's stick weres off when it rains? and that the wood warps? :?

Well, as you can see, my life isn't exactly supportive, but I get buy.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
leshrac
Villein

Post by leshrac »

:D I have ALWAYS been into castles and armor! I dont know where it started, but my earliest memories are of playin with sticks as swords. My goal in life is to have a full siut of armor and a sword made specifically for me. I have even thought of joining SCA and learning blacksmithing.
My dark age lasted 3 weeks back in 1996!
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

leonardo da vinci got me hooked on older themes :D .
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

I think mine was the atmosphere,of knights and towns like back in the day.but I read a few books and it just interested me,I don't really know I just really like it.But I really like swords,bows,etc so that kind of got me connected to it.
I am.......a....Future Legend
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

I've probably never lived more than 10-15 minutes away from a castle... :) Indeed, mostly a 15 minute car drive radius would take in several structures that people would commonly refer to as castles. I'm about 5-10 minutes walk from a "castle" (tower house) right now, and about 30 minutes walk from a genuine proper castle. Somehow it captures the imagination quite easily when you get to see castles firsthand from a young age.

In fact, with my recent re-interest in Lego, and having acquired some castles from ebay, I fully intend to build models of some of the castles here in Ireland. I think probably only the black knights suit to man it; they have a suitably vague attire (chain mail and breastplates).
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

[quote="Brickzone"]I've probably never lived more than 10-15 minutes away from a castle... :) Indeed, mostly a 15 minute car drive radius would take in several structures that people would commonly refer to as castles. I'm about 5-10 minutes walk from a "castle" (tower house) right now, and about 30 minutes walk from a genuine proper castle. Somehow it captures the imagination quite easily when you get to see castles firsthand from a young age.

In fact, with my recent re-interest in Lego, and having acquired some castles from ebay, I fully intend to build models of some of the castles here in Ireland. I think probably only the black knights suit to man it; they have a suitably vague attire (chain mail and breastplates).[/quote]

I forgot,I live about 5 minutes from a small castle,with all its first elements(besides a air conditioner) and thats what kind of got me into it even more.
I am.......a....Future Legend
engineerio
Peasant

Post by engineerio »

Quite an entertaining topic!

I'd say 3 things for me...

1. My dad, teacher, History major. I've played war board games with him since I was 8-9yrs old.

2. Lego. The Lego company back in the early-mid 80's did a great job with the castle sets. I really loved the hand to hand combat possibilities w/ lego figs.

3. Internet. After my rebirth to second lego interest the ccastle site, and other aftermarket parts sites have really got me back into the castle theme... :)

Paul
Ephesians 6:16 "Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God..."