A council is called.

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

A council is called.

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

It was a hot summer night in the land of the Forestmen. Despite the heat, there was much activity in the grand capitol city of Delvarden Gard. Their movements were slowed, however, their shapes blurred and indistinct. Through the slews, flatboats rocked as men poled their passengers through the forest city and to the great stone keep of Drullen Bell. Flickering torches lit they way as robed figures prosessed to the council chamber. Representatives from every nation -- even a lone Viking jarl -- entered and sat on the cool circular benches. When all had been seated, a lone figure at the podium stood. His garb was simple: greens and browns. A chain hung from his neck, and a medallian hung from the chain. Embossed was a solitary elk head. The man was old, and he moved not with grace but authority. His eyes passed over the crowd, and he smiled as his recognised many familar faces. The man raised him hands, and perfromed a simple jesture: the Sign of the Elk. This man was Lord Bjarn. He was the leader of the Forestmen, and a well-respected man in Dametreos. Bjarn had organised this meeting for one reason and one reason only.

"Greetings, one and all." Bjarn boomed, "We have come here to discuss something of vital importance to us all."

Greetings, Roleplayers!

Well, I've delayed long enough. I think it's pretty safe to say that our beloved Dametreos is dead, at least roleplaying wise. I think we simply sucked up all the creativity that was in this facinating world. This isn't a bad thing. Our poor, abuse characters can finally get some rest and live happily ever after. But where does that leave us? I know many of you are still eager to roleplay. So I have a proposal for you. We start a new roleplay. New world, new time, new rules, new character, new everything. A clean slate. Here are the basics I thought up so far:

When I mean clean slate, I mean clean slate. This new fantasy land will have nothing to do with Dametreos. There will be no crossovers. No cameo appearances. Nada. This world is not connect to Dametreos, Ikros or any other world. It is alone.

That said, this world will be a lot more flexible that Dametreos was. This world is virgin. There are no preestablished factions. The map is blank. There is no backhistory to memorise. There is no "Mana" magic, "Megabloks" magic or any other predefined magic. There are no predefined countries, no borders.

This is where we roleplayers drop in. When you sign up, you can put your character whereever you want on the blank map. And you can start creating. Towns, nations, magic, continents, islands, whatever. You can ever start your character as a pilgrim, on a boat, arriving in this new land for the first time.

Dametreos was structured. This land is not. Wars will happen. But keep in mind that this world is so large, so unexplored, that world wars simply cannot happen. If you don't like war in your area, move away or do something to stop it.

This land has no name as yet. Along with your other thoughts and comments, feel free to suggest names.

Let the discussion begin!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I say: Great idea!

I have gotten myself some really good friends, I have changed school, the scars in my wrist have almost healed, I don´t fall to fits of anguish every day anymore... to sum it up I have regained my will to live and with that my passion for writing.

And I really love this idea of a totally openended world... but how big will it be? I think one of the points is to write stories together with someone and if we have too big a world maybe people won´t meet very often...

Anyways I´m really glad the CCRP is coming back... I´ll come with more brainstorming later when I have time (and have thought a bit).
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
SgtDuckMan
Villein

Post by SgtDuckMan »

I say yes when can we enter our characters and how do we do that like do each of us play our own king.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

This is a great idea, but there seems to be a bit too much leverage - I'm seeing everyone being the king of their own rogue nation of elite warriors, and that doesn't appeal much to me...
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

E of Alshire wrote:This is a great idea, but there seems to be a bit too much leverage - I'm seeing everyone being the king of their own rogue nation of elite warriors, and that doesn't appeal much to me...
Well.. yes... that´s a bit what I meant... I actually thought Dametreos was too large...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
SgtDuckMan
Villein

Post by SgtDuckMan »

not really belieave it or not every one dosnt all want to make a huge war mongering contrey like me yes we will all have eliet wariiors but dont most contreyhave them and also I want my own one man then we wont meat as much say person to person but more nation to nation it would be awsome the scale of battles you could have
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well, it had to happen. I'm rather sad that it did. I was quite content with the old one, but I understand the reasoning. Sigh, I'm both dissapointed and relieved that I don't have to continue my plots.

Moving on to this new storyline. It certainally has some good ideas (or lack of, depending on how you see it). I trust that at least a few rules and such will kept. Such as A map. I mean if we don't have a predetermined map, everybody will be lost and will argue over the geography. I also trust the current rule of "only castle stuff" will stay. Meaning no cannons, guns or space aliens.

Question: Will newly written RP posts be considered law when writting new posts. Say I write in a post that a mountain is on grid X-X. Will future RPs who might happen to come to that area have to include the mountain in the story, or can they re-write it so that in place of the mountain there is a lake?

Also, when you say this world is alone, do you mean that we cannot bring people from another world, not even through the use of magic. Like, can we have a magical portal that lets people cross over from another universe. I think it would be kinda cool to use characters from other lands that we already know of. Example: Kae-Os enters this new land and has new adventures, completely unrelated to his adventures in Dametreos. Would this be allowed?

Again, I will really, really miss the old RP, but I am willing to give this one a try.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Well, I'm seriosuly looking forward to this. 8)

I do think,though, that we should establish a few official factions before starting, to give players something solid to work with, not just letting people make ridiculous factions here there and everywhere.

Three guesses which faction I'm taking. :P

- Matt
Jake, of the Palace Guard
Laborer

Post by Jake, of the Palace Guard »

You know, I was reluctant to participate in the old RP, becaue I am new and it was old and distinguished. But if we're starting again, then yes, I will join. Do we need to sign up or something??? :? (Again, I mean)
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Ah yes.... this feels good. Feels good to see a fresh start with fresh interest. Feels good to see our gaming admin do some work again. :P waitaminute- I guess that means I'll have to get involved again too :shock:

Alas, even though I do believe there was still some creativity left in the old rp, I have finally come to grips with my own inability to proceed with it.
Well, it had to happen. I'm rather sad that it did. I was quite content with the old one, but I understand the reasoning. Sigh, I'm both dissapointed and relieved that I don't have to continue my plots.
Well as far as that goes, you could always finish writing them up and post it in the stories forum sometime. Or, if you ask really nicely, maybe Nate will leave the old rp thread open and you could post in there.

Anywho, I'm glad to see this thing reborn and I'm looking forward to the sight of people writing about castley stuff again. Stories are the one thing that this lego theme has more of then any other and I'm glad to see all the promotion they're getting both here and in the stories forum.

Quick question... Is the new world going to run on real time with all the seasons and all that like Dametreos did?
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Maedhros wrote: And I really love this idea of a totally openended world... but how big will it be? I think one of the points is to write stories together with someone and if we have too big a world maybe people won´t meet very often...
The size of the world is undertermined. Remember, the whole point of this new RP is to have as much freedom as possible. As for people meeting up: look at the begining of the first CCRP. The map was huge. We only have about ten members. But almost at once people started to join up to become the Misfits. I'm sure when people start to join this RP they won't just drop randomly onto the map. They, more likely than not, will arrive in clumps and support each other.
SgtDuckMan wrote:I say yes when can we enter our characters and how do we do that like do each of us play our own king.
This RP is still in it's early planning stages, so you won't be able to join just yet. Your character can be whatever you want, but be warned: people who have become saddled with a king character, including myself, have felt trapped and bored with him after a while. It's not all that it's cracked up to be.
E of Alshire wrote:This is a great idea, but there seems to be a bit too much leverage - I'm seeing everyone being the king of their own rogue nation of elite warriors, and that doesn't appeal much to me...
Then don't make any of your characters king of their own rogue nation of elite warriors! :wink: I repeat my above statement.
Robin Hood wrote:Well, it had to happen. I'm rather sad that it did. I was quite content with the old one, but I understand the reasoning. Sigh, I'm both dissapointed and relieved that I don't have to continue my plots.
Well, let me point out that if you really wanted the old RP to continue, you would have continued posting reguarly.
Robin Hood wrote:Moving on to this new storyline. It certainally has some good ideas (or lack of, depending on how you see it). I trust that at least a few rules and such will kept. Such as A map. I mean if we don't have a predetermined map, everybody will be lost and will argue over the geography. I also trust the current rule of "only castle stuff" will stay. Meaning no cannons, guns or space aliens.
Technically, the first RP map was undertermined too. It just had faction borders and coastlines. This map will not have that. You have the ability to shape the land how you want. Once a RPer writes it, it becomes canon, and the map will be edited to show this change. The castle-only stuff will stay.
Robin Hood wrote:Question: Will newly written RP posts be considered law when writting new posts. Say I write in a post that a mountain is on grid X-X. Will future RPs who might happen to come to that area have to include the mountain in the story, or can they re-write it so that in place of the mountain there is a lake?
See above. Every RP post is canon unless it contridicts a previous RP post.
Robin Hood wrote:Also, when you say this world is alone, do you mean that we cannot bring people from another world, not even through the use of magic. Like, can we have a magical portal that lets people cross over from another universe. I think it would be kinda cool to use characters from other lands that we already know of. Example: Kae-Os enters this new land and has new adventures, completely unrelated to his adventures in Dametreos. Would this be allowed?
No. Alone is alone. This is exactly the situation I want to prevent. I want this to be a complete fresh start. There will be NO connection to other worlds. No cameos, nothing. That being said, note that I said world. A world is a large place. Dametreos was basically one big continent with various islands. This new world doesn't need to be like this. Actually, I'd prefer if it had many other continents.
Sir Kohran wrote:Well, I'm seriosuly looking forward to this. 8)

I do think,though, that we should establish a few official factions before starting, to give players something solid to work with, not just letting people make ridiculous factions here there and everywhere.

Three guesses which faction I'm taking.
I am trying to avoid what happened in the old RP - typecasting whole factions as one type or another. KK2 already had a lot of baggage attached to it, as did the Dragon Masters, or Forestmen, or whatever.

I repeat, this is meant to be a fresh start. A completely new break. Feel free to create new factions. But do not create any LEGO theme clones.
Jake, of the Palace Guard wrote:You know, I was reluctant to participate in the old RP, becaue I am new and it was old and distinguished. But if we're starting again, then yes, I will join. Do we need to sign up or something??? :? (Again, I mean)
Yes, you will need to sign up. I'll make a post when I'm ready for people to sign up.
The Green Knight wrote:
Well as far as that goes, you could always finish writing them up and post it in the stories forum sometime. Or, if you ask really nicely, maybe Nate will leave the old rp thread open and you could post in there.
Note that this new RP is not replacing Dametreos. The old CCRP threads will remain open. But I honestly do not expect to see many new additions.
The Green Knight wrote:Quick question... Is the new world going to run on real time with all the seasons and all that like Dametreos did?
I think that's a safe bet. It certainly made things much easier.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Actually I think the land of the RP could be as big as Britain. You could create a lot of different "factions" such as dukes, counts, bandits, military orders, sects, oppressed natives or what not...

What I didn´t like about the old RP was that everyone were doing their own little line (perhaps together with one person) in their own corner of the world. IMO the point of a RP is to have interaction between the players and I think that would be much easier with a smaller world. (My ideal RP would take place in a city with its surroundings but I know that it ain´t gonna happen ;))
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I repeat, this is meant to be a fresh start. A completely new break. Feel free to create new factions. But do not create any LEGO theme clones.
Now this I find confusing. Does this mean we can't use the official Lego factions anymore? If so, this might end up being more complciated than the original CCRP. 'Black Falcon' tells us who the character is instantly. 'Canderian Geran' does not.

- Matt
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Sir Kohran wrote:
Now this I find confusing. Does this mean we can't use the official Lego factions anymore? If so, this might end up being more complciated than the original CCRP. 'Black Falcon' tells us who the character is instantly. 'Canderian Geran' does not.
My point exactly. The phrase Black Falcon conjures up a predefined image. So does Viking, Dark Forest and Wolfpack.

Removing predefined factions will free RPers up vastly. What is Canderian Gera? Write something! Give this faction history and backstory.

Remember, the LEGO factions in Dametreos started out with no backstory. "Black Falcon" didn't tell us who a character was like. But with roleplaying, the term "Black Falcon" began to represent a "bad" nation that surpressed the Bulls. Thus many bad characters were Black Falcons for a while. The Forestmen evolved into enviromentally-concious peaceful folk, while the Dark Foresters were warlike. This could have easily evolved the other way, but it didn't.

Dametreos had only this when it started: a blank map, and a list of factions. This new RP is taking a small step back. You get to define the map. You get to define the factions.
SgtDuckMan
Villein

Post by SgtDuckMan »

now heres a question when do we get to start this new one up i'm iching to start