Favourite Movie Battles

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Battle of the Helm's Deep... They gave exactly what I want...
It's just so same like in the book...
Actually, there are some rather stark differences between the film and the book in concerns to the Battle of the Hornburg.

Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields were both good pieces of cinema. But I think a person would have to be a little delusional to say that either one was a near-exact or even a very-close mirror of the events in the book. For my tastes, I think PJ went a little too 'Hollywood' with the battle-scenes in the LotR film trilogy. Legolas being the equivalent of a machine gun, for instance.

Overall, I find there are just too many absurdities in those films for me to -really- enjoy them.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

Damien wrote:
Battle of the Helm's Deep... They gave exactly what I want...
It's just so same like in the book...
Actually, there are some rather stark differences between the film and the book in concerns to the Battle of the Hornburg.

Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields were both good pieces of cinema. But I think a person would have to be a little delusional to say that either one was a near-exact or even a very-close mirror of the events in the book. For my tastes, I think PJ went a little too 'Hollywood' with the battle-scenes in the LotR film trilogy. Legolas being the equivalent of a machine gun, for instance.

Overall, I find there are just too many absurdities in those films for me to -really- enjoy them.
Yeah you totally right...
But I've said ALMOST THE SAME...
I thought the FEELING was the same...I felt the same way when I was reading the book back then and watching the movie... In the Hornburg case....
But my feelings were much stronger at the Pelenor fields in the book...
In the movie it's nothing compare to book-ones...
xbloodyfangs
Laborer

Post by xbloodyfangs »

My favorite was definetly Helms Deep. For me, nothing else can even compare, except maybe The Battle of Germania (GLADIATOR).
El Mariachi
Laborer

Post by El Mariachi »

Stirling and Falkirk on Braveheart.
"God is dead; but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

Call me a sucker for mumaks, but the battle of pelenor feilds has always been a favorite of mine.

Edit:
Now that I've watched it again, I have recurred memories of the ruination by legolas(come on, 8 guys can't take on one elf? :roll: ), but gimli wasn't to bad; unfortunately aragorn was showy but he had to be that way since he was going to be the king of gondor. If they had gotton rid of the ghost army, and all of the heroes(well, mabye not gandalf, because Ian Mckellen didn't do half-bad), the fight would have been great. But sadly, that's not the way the book goes...
Last edited by nazgul on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
El Mariachi
Laborer

Post by El Mariachi »

nazgul wrote:Call me a sucker for mumaks, but the battle of pelenor feilds has always been a favorite of mine.
Ye, we can tell that by your sig.

I prefer strategic-like battles to heroic ones. Pellenor in the movie is quite good but it would be a lot better if it wasnt for the ghost army and for Legolas persistance in performing oh-so-stupid-and-irrealisitic-tryin'-to-be-cool-and-leet acrobatics.

Besides that, its actually a pretty nice battle though in therms of LOTR I prefer Helm's Deep.
"God is dead; but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

El Mariachi wrote:Pellenor in the movie is quite good but it would be a lot better if it wasnt for the ghost army
I take that as very important thing in all that thing...
They should be there and they did :wink:
El Mariachi wrote: and for Legolas persistance in performing oh-so-stupid-and-irrealisitic-tryin'-to-be-cool-and-leet acrobatics.
Well this certainly isn't a part of the book, but I'm sure they just wanted to show the superiority of the Elves opposite to humans. I like how they presented it.

Greetings from Serbia
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

My favorate has got to be Battle for Minas Tirith, at the Pelennor Fields. The huge amount of chaos and battle. The catapults, siege machines, and Grog. Very cool.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

kelderic wrote:My favorate has got to be Battle for Minas Tirith, at the Pelennor Fields. The huge amount of chaos and battle. The catapults, siege machines, and Grog. Very cool.

Kelderic
We pillage, we plunder we rifle and loot,
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot,
Drink up my hearties yo ho!

Arrrrr, Grog be fer pirates, ye lubberly laddie! Grond be fer bashing down gates.

- Cap'n Redbeard
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
leshrac
Villein

Post by leshrac »

Geat topic.

1. The charge of Rohan at Minas Tirith was by far the best battle scene ever filmed. It actually looked and sounded like i imagined it did when i read the LotR!! :D

2. Helms Deep. Altho i think it was way too short. Right when they got to the best part the movie ends, bummer.

3. Battle of Germania. I just wish there was more battles in the movie. The gladiator fights were great but I'd trade a few of em for 1 more large scale battle like the 1st one.

4. Battle of Falkirk. Very well done and thrilling till the end.

5. Not sure the name of the movie, but it was a 1960's samaurai flick. The "good guys" army besieged a castle and killed everyone inside. and the last person alive was the daimyo and they spent the next 15 mins firing arrows into him. It was a very good movie even wihout subtittles. Just wish I knew the name.[/b]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

leshrac wrote: 5. Not sure the name of the movie, but it was a 1960's samaurai flick. The "good guys" army besieged a castle and killed everyone inside. and the last person alive was the daimyo and they spent the next 15 mins firing arrows into him. It was a very good movie even wihout subtittles. Just wish I knew the name.[/b]
Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, starring Toshiro Mifune. That's the one with the fusilade of arrows if I remember correctly.

Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:
leshrac wrote: 5. Not sure the name of the movie, but it was a 1960's samaurai flick. The "good guys" army besieged a castle and killed everyone inside. and the last person alive was the daimyo and they spent the next 15 mins firing arrows into him. It was a very good movie even wihout subtittles. Just wish I knew the name.[/b]
Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, starring Toshiro Mifune. That's the one with the fusilade of arrows if I remember correctly.
Isn't that the Japanese Macbeth film?

- Matt
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

5. Not sure the name of the movie, but it was a 1960's samaurai flick. The "good guys" army besieged a castle and killed everyone inside. and the last person alive was the daimyo and they spent the next 15 mins firing arrows into him. It was a very good movie even wihout subtittles. Just wish I knew the name
Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, starring Toshiro Mifune. That's the one with the fusilade of arrows if I remember correctly
I think it was Kurosawa's "Ran" that had the bombardment of flaming arrows and matchlock guns on the castle.

The old bearded guy, the Daimyo, survives the attack and then goes psychotic, if I remember correctly.

Does that sound right?
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Jacob C. wrote: I think it was Kurosawa's "Ran" that had the bombardment of flaming arrows and matchlock guns on the castle.

The old bearded guy, the Daimyo, survives the attack and then goes psychotic, if I remember correctly.

Does that sound right?
He said 60's (Throne of Blood was '57 actually), and Ran is much later than that (85). It would become clearer if he said B&W or color. What he describes seems to be the scene from Throne, not Ran (guns featured more prominately there), but it has been a while since I watched either.