Related Theme Set Review: Dragon Fortress

Discussion of general LEGO topics
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Related Theme Set Review: Dragon Fortress

Post by architect »

Join the castle related theme set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 7419 Dragon Fortress.

Dragon Fortress was released in 2003 for Orient Expedition. This Asian Castle contained hidden rooms, a golden dragon, rockets, and dropping stones. The Emperor, two guards, a wandering knight, and Lord Sinister defend this fortress while Johnny Thunder, Pippen Reed, and Dr. Kilroy attempt to capture the treasures.

Last edited by architect on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

All right. I have this set, although it broke it up and used it for pieces a while ago. It was great though, when it was assembled. Ok ratio of figs for the price, and the golden dragon is very cool. The hidden door in the back it cool, with the spinning gears. I really liked the Grey Knight, and of course it had the golden dragon helmet. I was a bit expesive though.

Playability - 10

Price - 6

Minifig - 8

Pieces - 9

Acethetics - 10

Overall - 8.4

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

I do not own this set, nor have I even seen it built. From what I have seen from pictures I really liek it though. The golden dragon head can be used for a lot of stuff. In fact, I wanted this set pretty bad when it came out. My mom and dad wouldn't get it for me though :lol: ...

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I like this set a lot - it gives a kind of evil Imperial prescence among my Samurai and Ninja factions (which are currently very limited in set and fig number, but anyway)...

It comes with a decent number of figs, some nice baubbles and flashy pieces, and that dragon, which to me is very cool looking and kind of unique. I also like the female fig it comes with.

The set has lots of little features and what not, but the things I like most about it are the chinese lanterns (well... kind of like chinese lanterns) and the flags - both plastic and... very thin plastic. Although I'm not a fan of thin plastic flags in general, I don't think it's a big negative either.

Overall, I like the design and uniqueness of the set and it's features so much that I can overlook much of the negative. One queston I've always had though... can someone tell me what those little pieces in the bucket are all about? The small poles? With the yellow cones at the end? Are they supossed to be torches or something?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

I even didn't knew that this kind of sets exists in Adventurers theme (since I've lost my interest for them before I went in my dark ages, back there in 2000)...
Nice looked-one, even I think I could never find some use for that baseplate, I just don't like it...
Good number of figs, and I'm really pleased with that dragon's upper clawn...

Nice looking stuff
Greetings from Serbia
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

can someone tell me what those little pieces in the bucket are all about? The small poles? With the yellow cones at the end? Are they supossed to be torches or something?
I always thought they were fireworks, and I used them as gundpowder missles.

Overall, an awesome set. The pieces, figs, and playability make it worth it! The price wasn't bad this time...
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Re: Related Theme Set Review: Dragon Fortress

Post by Sir Nelson »

I purchased this set a little while after it came out, and liked it so much that I soon built an a Chinese Pagoda to accompany it. 8)

The Dragon is the best part of this set, although 'The Wanderer' is a great minifig! The black gates, lanterns, jade (sand) green color, and uniquely colored baseplate (not to mention Jing Lee). All make for a great Chinese-themed set. And, yes, those are supposed to be fireworks in the barrel.
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

ottoatm wrote:One queston I've always had though... can someone tell me what those little pieces in the bucket are all about? The small poles? With the yellow cones at the end? Are they supossed to be torches or something?
architect wrote:, rockets,
I think that answers your question :wink: (correct me if I am wrong.)

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Ahh... I believe you are right... I totally missed that "rockets" part of the description - my mistake. Hmm... interesting idea, and as I said before, good set. :)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

My brother got this set for christmas, he quickly built it and left it out next to my mom's orchids to become an infamous, evil, dirty, and wet lego palace. But he has left for college and it has been scrapped for pieces. But from what I did play and build was very fun to do so. Overall nice set,
8.2/10.

-nazgul
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

I bought the set 7419 a few years ago at Legoland Germany. It isn't really castle, but at this time there was now other set that was castle-themed and even not at my collection.

Nowadays I think it was a good idea to buy it. There are some bricks at this set you can't find in any other set.

I got two little tan bar (3L) in the set. There is no use at the instruction for these bars. I found one a while ago:
change to "further presentation of Minifigs"

But on topic:
A great set with a great overall oldgray Minifig

regards,
jens
El Mariachi
Laborer

Post by El Mariachi »

Seems pretty well built to me.
"God is dead; but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche
Schme
Gong Farmer

Post by Schme »

I acually have this set and it's pretty neat. THere are hidden chambers secret passages etc. The back view is even cooer than the front. 10/10 playability, priced a little high though.
-Schme
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I like this set though I never had it.I actually can still buy it for it`s original price but I can`t give up the money,however if anyone is interested we can make a deal... :wink: (PM me if you`re interested)Anyway great sset ,awesome castle parts,good playability,if I had the money,I`d buy it! :P
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Old_School_Fan
Laborer

Post by Old_School_Fan »

I did have this set, and highly enjoyed it. I say 'did' because it is no longer a complete set, as I have taken it apart for spares. I loved the oriental guards, and the emperor fig was simply astounding in my eyes. The playability of the castle itself is very high, as there are actually rooms for adventures to transpire in. I knew I had to have this set the first time I laid eyes on it.

Highly recommended to anyone with curiosity. :)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/7893418@N03/]My Flickr[/url]