NEW ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

NEW ROLEPLAY DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Formendacil »

Okay Roleplayers...

We are still waiting for our Grand Admin, Nathan Wells, to help establish the new Classic-Castle Roleplay, but there are a few things we can do ourselves to get the ball rolling- to get the interest up, and set some things in place.

First of all:

Character Descriptions.

In describing your character, please fill out the following form:

Name: (of your character)
Tools: (weapons or other objects we ought to know about)
Background: (Where's he from)
Other: (what else should we know about him? This is a good place to put any important information about his personality)
Type of Character: Major/Secondary/Minor (This is to give us an approximation of whether he's going to be a central, secondary, or peripheral character. Be realistic, and stay on the safe side, if you don't know. You can always change it later. And saying that he's a Minor character doesn't mean that you can't Roleplay him like a Major one, if you change your mind.)

There used to be a limit on the number of Major or Secondary characters you could have. In the latter days of the old Roleplay, Nathan and I basically agreed that this rule was obsolete, so unless Nathan says otherwise, consider this rule suspended.

First Posts

Although Nathan hasn't finished all the rules or put up a thread for the actual RPing, there's no reason you can't rough out some posts on this thread- to get your interest going, and to get some dialogue going with the other players. Once Nathan does have a proper Game thread up, you can repost your posts there, making any changes that may seem necessary depending on rules/mind changes/whatnot. Meanwhile, you can post them here, and start brewing some thoughts.

Finally

Nathan has the final right to choose/create a name for this new Roleplay, but until his does so, I am proposing the name of Brickswell to be used in lieu of a final name. So until Nathan picks a name, Brickswell is what you should use to refer to the continent/world the Roleplay is set in.

All this having been said, remember to look over the other threads about this new Roleplay. This is a complete break with the old Roleplay, and has none of the "official factions". The factions that exist are the ones that you guys invent. I advise working together as much as possible- mainly because it's more fun.

Remember also that this thread and everything started in it is done at my sole instigation. I reserve completely the right to contradict myself and change my mind. I also remind you that I am subject to higher authority (Nathan), and that his word supercedes mine in all places. But don't let such doom and gloom put you off. Get started with shaping and moulding your characters. Give him enough demand, and Nathan'll give you a Roleplay.

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

So, in otherwords, your starting the roleplay annew so the newbs such as I can find it easier to keep track? Sweet.

Name: (of your character): Michael

Looks:earlobe-length black straight hair, mid-build (not to muscular, not weakly lean), about 1.85 meters tall, cloaked in folds of black (folds hide tools), leather bracers, black hood that shadows dark brown eyes.

Rank: (Social, military, and/or economic status): Thief/assasin.

Tools: (weapons or other objects we ought to know about):Throwing knivews, bow, arrows, dagger, shortsword (not broad), multple poisin vials, multiple lockpicks, hiddin pouches for loot, cloths for wipping blood, blackjack for knocking out, small grappleing hook with thin strong rope, climbing gloves. did I miss anything :P

Background: (Where's he from): Michael grew up in the assasins guild (if that's allowed), his parents dropped him off there for untold reasons. He grew up under the watch of one of the top assasins, who took a liking to the young guy. Eventually he left the assasins claiming he wastn't fond of the murdering. He joined the thieves guild, which was forbidden to all those to the assasin guild (hopefully this is allowed so far), then he left them, claiming the life wasn't for him. Now he roams as his own assassinatic contractor/proffesional thief. Theoreticaly, this guy can get whatever he wants, theoreticaly.

Other: (what else should we know about him? This is a good place to put any important information about his personality): Michael is calm, and does not kill cold-bloodidly, his kills are usually followed by a prayer for the victim. He often turns down challenges in the pubs, as he doesn't like people knowing what he's capable of. He has never been caught, so there is no search or warrant for him. Michael finds himself almost never surrounded by people, he has few friends, as he doesn't talk much accept to those he trusts, and those he trusts are his only friends. He wanders the streets at will, stealing what he can. Some nights he sleeps. In day, contractors know what pubs to find him. That is the only time Michael is findable. As I meantioned his clothes having folds, I don't mean they're big bulkey clothes, most his gear is hiddin on his beld, just picture Garret from thief, that's pretty much what he'll look like, just with a black cloak. It is rumored that he dwells in the forest trees when no work is to be found.

Type of Character: Major/Secondary/Minor (This is to give us an approximation of whether he's going to be a central, secondary, or peripheral character. Be realistic, and stay on the safe side, if you don't know. You can always change it later. And saying that he's a Minor character doesn't mean that you can't Roleplay him like a Major one, if you change your mind.) Between major and secondary. I don't really know what this means, but I would have him play some major parts, parhaps his skills may become required at times. If anyone wants, I can have him trust your character or join your group.

well, whew, hand cramp. Hope this works and I did this right.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

All right! I can finally post my character!
Here goes-

Name: Kal
Looks: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1983710 (sorry about the poor pictures)
Rank: vagabond/exile; lives off what he finds and “grows”
Tools: wide-brimmed hat; cape; small charms; dog-eared book of basic spells
Background: Kal is one of the few earth-and-growth wizards remaining. He used to work for the forestmen but eventually traveled the world to increase his power. He discovered a special magic that made his power incredible, but unfortunately, it was outside of forestmen laws. He has turned vagabond and is currently being pursued by forestmen for his "travesty to the forest".
Other information: deformed by self-enchantment, Kal's hand resembles 3 short roots with moss and plants growing on it. He has a vast array of growth spells he can use at almost any time.
Class: Main character
---
Name: Jake
Looks: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1983706 (sorry about the poor pictures)
Tools: Pack full of bits and bobs for crowd-pleasing (or at least he hopes) tricks; well-worn staff; shirt of plate-mail which is more for show and to once again avoid fights.
Background: A vagabond himself Jake is a traveling performer and is always trying to get himself a good name. He is a bull.
Other information: Very skilled at fighting with his staff, incredibly nosey, and never gives up when he has his sights on something
class: secondary character

Edit: I just reread the first post and decided to write up a quick post to introduce my two characters, here goes-
- His hand was gnarled mass, if you could call it that. To most it looked like some sort of obscure disease or fungus that you usually avoid, and they followed that instinct to the letter. But to more learned of others, it was a sight to behold of power and vanity. But to others’ eyes it resembled three short roots in the place of his right hand. It was covered in moss, grass, and a few small flowers among other odd growths. And it seemed to be that if he moved his sleeve back the odd growths would continue up the arm, but he never did. But the person to whom this hand belonged made no permanent friends, but the few he made never lasted.
All this Jake took in as this odd stranger walked in the door of the pub. But he did not know that this man could kill any person in this room with a simple flick of the wrist. And all this the stranger knew as well; but his name is not the stranger or the man, it is Kal, or at least that’s what he calls himself. Kal went up and sat by Jake, if you call the other side of the room and Jake moving over towards by him, “sitting beside him.” Kal ordered mead and a bowl of water, then, in a simple but demanding tone he said, “What do you want?”, “Why just to know what’s up with your hand there” said Jake casually. It was then that the bartender, eyeing Kal cautiously, set down the bowl of water and the mead. Kal swallowed the pitifully small amount of mead in one gulp and then placed his “odd” hand in the bowl, in a matter of about 7 seconds, the water was drained up, then the bowl was covered in moss and grass which then disintegrated the bowl and all of which promptly died.
Jake simply sat there, staring, for a while Kal repeated the process about 2 more times. Then, gathering his wits again, spoke quite simply, “Interesting trick you have there.”
Last edited by nazgul on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Mike Viper wrote:So, in otherwords, your starting the roleplay annew so the newbs such as I can find it easier to keep track? Sweet.
Basically.

Consider this the "Hash it out yourself, guys, cause we ain't gonna be much help" thread.
Mike Viper wrote: Michael grew up in the assasins guild (if that's allowed)
If you say there's an Assassin's Guild, there's an Assassin's Guild. You're pretty much the first person to post anything for the new Roleplay, so you're pretty much 100% in the clear.

Looks like both Mike Viper and Nazgul have rather fugitive-like characters kicking around. I imagine the two of you could easily get a plot going with Kal on the run bumping into Michael on his way back from a big heist... and the two of them fleeing together... or something like that. Be inventive.

Looking good for starters. Let's try and keep the ball rolling.

smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

I'm going to be posting a character soon, just working out the kinks in TextEdit before I do. If no one replies after me, I'll edit it into this post.

I really wanted to get into the old roleplay, but a fresh start is much better for me. There was just too much lore to go through before.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

Umm Formendacil? Could I prehaps draw up an areal veiw of a city or land? Or anything to give a visual concept of this land?
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Here is my main character(probably.)

Name:Theyrus

Looks:He is 6'3", has dark hair, and a beard of the same color. His eyes are a dark green, and he always has a stern look on his face.

Tools:He has a long battle dagger(almost a short-sword.) He carries an elven-made bow(if we are aloud to do such), and he lot of masterly fletched arrows. He also carries a beautiful medium-legnth sword. He also wears a mail coat.

Background:Born to a poor family of peasants, his childhood was rough, and he soon became able to defend himself if needbe. He has an older brother, and a younger sister. His family has often been forced out of their home as their land changes from tyrant to tyrant. Finally, when he was old enough, he got a job as a blacksmith's errand boy. The job paid well for him (comparingly to his parents'/brother's work), and he was able to save up enough to stow away on a vessel headed for the "New Land". He was only travelling in the luggage hold, so the journey was very rough for him. He finally got the this land, and started to explore. He wandered for a couple of years, learning about the land, and learning much about the plants and animals of the land. Evantually, he fell in with a group of families, mostly people that came from his home country. THis group called themselves the Uneben Stamm.

Other:He is a leader. He does not trust easily, but he will trust you with every bit of his body if he does. He doesn't talk a lot, and when he does it is usually short and to the point.

Type of Character:He is a major character.

In Christ Jesus my Savior,
Last edited by Remyth on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I`ve got a basic story I just have to finalize my characters.I have some questions:
1)Where do I post my addition to the story(Once we start)?
2)In my story the falcons are a warring nation does anyone object and if so should I just call them the "Silver Hawks" or something like that?Also my dragon nation is more peaceful victim type.
3)I need a character that will aid my two questing Dragon knights,I can make my own but I thought it`d be more fun for someone else to make him/her and maybe make a few other characters.I can PM the basic story if you`re interested.
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

smcginnis wrote:I'm going to be posting a character soon, just working out the kinks in TextEdit before I do. If no one replies after me, I'll edit it into this post.

I really wanted to get into the old roleplay, but a fresh start is much better for me. There was just too much lore to go through before.

~smcginnis
Alas... but 'tis a common story. Which is WHY there is new Roleplay. The old one was good- but VERY, VERY intimidating and difficult for newcomers, and as old ones slowly burnt out, they weren't being replaced. Hopefully we'll either remedy that here, or set up a pattern for periodically starting a new Roleplay. But that may be getting ahead of things to say that...
Mike Viper wrote:Umm Formendacil? Could I prehaps draw up an areal veiw of a city or land? Or anything to give a visual concept of this land?
Well, I believe that it was originally Nathan's intention to have NO map, or to have a map of his own making... but I'm going to (erm...) "overrule" that, and say that I'll try and do that myself in the next few days... although patience, as always is a virtue. Poke me if I don't do it by Sunday. More on that when it shows up.

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

ZIGGY! wrote:1)Where do I post my addition to the story(Once we start)?
For now, just post them to this thread. There will, once this Roleplay has taken off, be a proper thread for the story, into which planning things like this will not be tolerated, but for now this is an "Everything" thread. Once the proper thread is up (and I may wait a few days/a week before doing that), either I'll repost it for you, or I'll have you all do it yourselves. But for now, put it here- and keep doing that (as much as wanted) until I say otherwise.
ZIGGY! wrote:2)In my story the falcons are a warring nation does anyone object and if so should I just call them the "Silver Hawks" or something like that?Also my dragon nation is more peaceful victim type.
If you want to have a nation called the Silver Hawks or have a peaceful dragon-emblemed nation, then go ahead. Just be keep in mind that there are no official factions here, so even if you use official factions to ILLUSTRATE these factions of yours, that's simply your call, outside of the Roleplay.
ZIGGY wrote:3)I need a character that will aid my two questing Dragon knights,I can make my own but I thought it`d be more fun for someone else to make him/her and maybe make a few other characters.I can PM the basic story if you`re interested.
This is a question for the masses. If Remyth, SMcGinnis, Nazgul, or Mike Viper want to take a shot at it, I invite them to post here. Also, although there's nothing wrong with PMing basic stories and all that (and it's certainly a good idea if you want to keep some things secrets or surprises for the general audience), it's also nice at times to do your planning right here (this is the planning thread, after all). And don't worry about clutter. The more noise, interest, and energy we have circulating in this thread, the more people will get involved (really involved), and the better, more fun, and longer lasting things will be.

Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Hey, Ziggy! I might be willing to help you out. It all depends on what you have in mind. If you could let me know, that would be great.

Thanks,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Here goes:

Name: Roëd Aelfredsen.

Looks: Short brown hair; strong, well muscled body; fair complexion; light brown eyes; Five feet Eight inches tall; he looks kind of like my sigfig (but not like me), here. I might upload a pic more specific to him later.

Tools: Longbow and quiver of arrows; short sword and scabbard; knife and sheath; brown hat; flint; walking stave; leather gloves; heavy boots; wool clothes; pouch of dried Ninae; traveling food in a satchel.

Background: Roëd was born near the village of Montegarde, on the slopes of the tallest known mountain in the world, Mount Oraynol, in the middle of the country. His father, Aelfred, raises both mountain sheep and the healing herb Ninae, which can only grow at very high altitudes. Due to living high on the mountain, he is very strong, healthy, and has very good endurance of strenuous conditions; breathing thin air and living all your life in freezing temperatures makes you almost superhuman in normal climates.

Other: Although he is not exceptionally tall or strong-looking, when Roëd walks into a room, fights stop. He just has that air about him. He has an aversion to violence, and in fact will go out of his way to avoid it; however, if someone is in trouble, he will not stand idly by and watch them get hurt. Roëd has learned all major languages, and he can read and write quite well, unlike many people. He has left home because he wishes for adventure, but he plans to return to the mountains someday. He goes with his parent's blessing, and they have asked him to bring them back stories and treasures from lands beyond their knowledge.

Type of Character: Major.

I haven't thought of a good first name yet, but I'll edit it in when I do.

~smcginnis

Edit: Name's in.
Last edited by smcginnis on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

Mike Viper wrote:Umm Formendacil? Could I prehaps draw up an areal veiw of a city or land? Or anything to give a visual concept of this land?
I'm not too horrible at drawing landscapes or maps, how about I give it a go? Better yet, how about a contest? People post their scans and images of maps and people vote on them or certain parts.

Just a thought,
-nazgul
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

nazgul wrote:
I'm not too horrible at drawing landscapes or maps, how about I give it a go? Better yet, how about a contest? People post their scans and images of maps and people vote on them or certain parts.

Just a thought,
-nazgul
As much as I appreciate the offer (and believe me, it's nice to see some volunteerism...), I know what's needed. And I'm not a half-bad mapmaker myself...

I should get to it this afternoon. That's not so terribly far into the future, and I assure you, I make half-decent maps.

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Okay, lest I be accused of falsehood, I HAVE finished my mapmaking, but it'll be a little while (read: either tonight, probably, or tomorrow) before I upload them here, because there's a small whack of explanation to go along with it, and I have to rush away (Hey, I'm at school!). Got too carried away with the fun of pseudo-cartography. Anyway, I made the maps this afternoon, as promised. I just haven't had time to upload them here. Will do soon as possible.