New Roleplay Map

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

New Roleplay Map

Post by Formendacil »

Good Readers, gather around as I introduce you to the lands where our adventures shall start. In the great city of Wellestowne, on the shores of the great ocean, a small but venerable kingdom has its royal seat:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Formenda ... /ccrp2.gif

From the great Castle Alexandria in the centre of the city, good King Forlego rules over his well-guarded city, a centre of sea and land trade. From its battlements, he can look out onto the farmlands and forests of his small realm, a decry in the distance the tall T'Ork Mountains which mark his border and the beginning of wilder and more adventurous lands.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Formenda ... s/ccrp.gif

Out of the West Gate of the city one finds the great road leading west to Berger Pass, or branching northward through the Robber's Wood. From the South Gate one can taken the road along the sea southeastward, or southwestward towards Robin's Pass.

Besides the city of Wellestowne, there are but three smaller villages within the realm, located along the roads. These villages, and the farms around them, are guarded from foreign invasion by the four great castles along the roads, marking the approximate end of the kingdoms. Beyond here are other realms, or empty, lawless lands.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Okay my Good Roleplayers,

You can now see the maps. As you can see, the small Kingdom of Wellestowne is just that- a small kingdom. And the maps themselves cover a small area, just a two day ride from one end of it to another.

But this is where it gets fun.

You people want to make your own maps, your own kingdoms, your cultures: go ahead.

This map, and the Kingdom of Wellestowne, provide a starting point. You can place your story right here in it, if you don't want to be lonely and make your own place. Or, if you ARE making your own place, be sure to note how close it is to Wellestowne. Here's an example post, if I were Roleplaying:
The Pink Knight wrote:Location: Junksborough, the Capital City of Garbagia, eight squares north of Wellestowne, and Three squares West

King Putrid turned to his advisors and said "Gentlebugs, I think the time has come at last! We are doomed to fail. I want you all to flee at once, lest the Shiney Armoured Ones catch you and boil you for their dogs' suppers. Go to Wellestowne! Good King Forlego will grant you protection."

"Sire," said Sir Stinksalot, "I shall never forget this day. I pledge to return and save this realm!"

22 days later...

Location: Northern castle, on the border of Wellestowne kingdom

"Who goes there?"

"I be Sir Sneedlehead Stinksalot, from the Kingdom of Garbagia! I seek refuge in the realm of Wellestowne!"

"You be in luck sir, for this is the northern border of Wellestowne!
As you can see... the important thing I am trying to highlight here is that this Wellestowne map should serve as a reference point for WHERE you are, in relation to other people. Obviously, someone is going to need to try and keep track of WHAT is WHERE in relation to Wellestowne, but that's not too important at the moment.

Wellestowne, because of it's importance as a REFERENCE, is protected by special rules: it's King, "Good King Forlego", is a Moderator character. Meaning that he's registered for me. It's also forbidden to attack Wellestowne. If you want to attack something, go found something else.

Now, you can make your kingdom as far or near to Wellestowne as you want. You see that square on the big map? That's two days' ride from one end of it to another, so think about how many days' ride you want your kingdom to be before you go assigning it to "Five hundred squares south of Wellestowne, and three thousand West".

Oh, and another thing. All the grid squares EAST of Wellestowne are, roughly, a part of the "Great Ocean". So if you want an island kingdom, that's a good spot to put it. Otherwise, north, south, and west are the directions to go.

Does this all make sense? Am I clear? Or am I just making sense in my head?

Let me know.

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Great work with the maps, Michael!

..This is all very interesting and I cannot wait to get started, I am in the middle of making three characters, then I may make an attempt at a map, but we'll see.

Does this all make sense? Am I clear? Or am I just making sense in my head?

Yeah, it all makes sense. :)

Oh, and one question, how lage is a square? you mentioned that we must tell how many squares away from Wellestowne our maps are, but I am not all clear on how far that may be.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

You actually managed to pick my interest again there, Formendacil, something this small was exactly what I wanted. I have a a feeling it will grow very much though but at least here we have a rallying point. Excellent.....

.... I might consider joining again then... ;)

(If it weren´t for this silly issue about time... Time-turners anyone?)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Looks very good, Mike, especially considering it was done on paint.

One small error to point out - in the close-up of Wellestowne, it says 'Sokon Bay', but in the large picture, it says 'Sokan Bay' (many thanks for the play on my name).

Anyhow, this roleplay is actually really perking my interest. I'll get to work on some characters ASAP.

May Castle roleplaying live on!

- Matt
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Sir Kohran wrote:Looks very good, Mike, especially considering it was done on paint.

One small error to point out - in the close-up of Wellestowne, it says 'Sokon Bay', but in the large picture, it says 'Sokan Bay' (many thanks for the play on my name).

Anyhow, this roleplay is actually really perking my interest. I'll get to work on some characters ASAP.

May Castle roleplaying live on!

- Matt
Whoops...

Should be Sokan Bay. But having been made in Paint, uploaded, and whatnot... I guess we'll just have to live with alternative pronunciations.

Glad to see you golden oldies enjoy.

Lamanda:

A square is two days ride across... so about 50 miles, I'd say. And a 25-mile day is... 40ish kilometres, which is a pretty good distance, I'd say. A decent distance to put behind you in a day.

Basically, distance isn't so much measured in units of distance (miles, feet, kilometres, leagues...) as it is in TIME travelled. At least... that's the way my brain likes to interpret such things.

~Michael A. Joosten - Gaming Moderator~
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Ok, thanks for answering that.
So, I am guessing a square is roughly the size of what you have posted in your original post?

In that case, would something like this be acceptable?

I used the same basic 'theme' as you had for your map because I wasn't really sure how else to go about it.

~Amanda

PS- Please let me know if the above image is too large, if so, I will fix it ASAP.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

The whole idea sounds and looks great Mike! I'll be joining this for sure.

Besides that, the T'Ork mountain range is the coolest location ever. 8)
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Great maps. I'm going to be adding another segment soon, just drawing it in photoshop right now. I'm incorporating Formendacil' and Lamanda's maps into it.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Ok, just in case you didn't realize it, mine hooks on to the bottom of Mike's.

Can't wait to see your addition. :)
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

I'll try to draw it later but I was thinking about 2-3 "maps" north would be a place known as the frozen wood. Just a random idea.

-nazgul
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Lamanda2 wrote:Ok, just in case you didn't realize it, mine hooks on to the bottom of Mike's.

Can't wait to see your addition. :)
Yeah, I realized. Also, what font did you guys use for the names of places? Since I'm drawing in Photoshop, any formatting from MSPaint that would tell me is lost.

~smcginnis

Edit: I'm putting in my mountain, Mount Oraynol, and I said in my character bio that it's the tallest (discovered) mountain in the world, so please, nobody make a taller one near any town or settlement. You can make a taller one where no one has ever been or lived to return from. Thanks.

Edit 2: It actually doesn't matter about the font. I'll use a different one.
Learning French.

I'm a Pumpkin.

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Yes, Lamanda, something like that is exactly what I was thinking.

Now, to clarify, nobody has to add to the map. This is simply if you want to. Anybody can roleplay on a part of the map that somebody else created.

And yes, you can fill in as many as you want. But I would ask (and will make this a rule, if it gets out of hand, which I'm sure it won't) that you only actually make a map of an area if you plan on Roleplaying in it. Just passing through really doesn't constitute Roleplaying.

Does anybody want to put together a big grid, labelling all the names of people who have filled in a square- just so we have a reference to what areas have been done and which ones haven't? There's really no point in having doubles of the same spot, now is there? For the moment, until someone does a sea-square, I'd put the Wellestowne (or Formendacil) square at the middle, on the right hand side.

Looking good, people, looking good.

I'm thinking we may be ready to open the Roleplay Thread Proper this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

~Michael A. Joosten~
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

Formendacil wrote:Yes, Lamanda, something like that is exactly what I was thinking.

Now, to clarify, nobody has to add to the map. This is simply if you want to. Anybody can roleplay on a part of the map that somebody else created.

And yes, you can fill in as many as you want. But I would ask (and will make this a rule, if it gets out of hand, which I'm sure it won't) that you only actually make a map of an area if you plan on Roleplaying in it. Just passing through really doesn't constitute Roleplaying.

Does anybody want to put together a big grid, labelling all the names of people who have filled in a square- just so we have a reference to what areas have been done and which ones haven't? There's really no point in having doubles of the same spot, now is there? For the moment, until someone does a sea-square, I'd put the Wellestowne (or Formendacil) square at the middle, on the right hand side.

Looking good, people, looking good.

I'm thinking we may be ready to open the Roleplay Thread Proper this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

~Michael A. Joosten~
Can you tell me what is the size per square and how large the grid is? Just wondering because I have a map I drew a long time that would fit in pretty well with the one that you've got going.
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Just to let you know, I'm doing two squares right now. They're on the left of Formendacil's and Lamanda's.

Example

S F
S L

S is mine, F is Formendacil's, and L is Lamanda's. The reason I'm doing two is because it's just easier. I copied and pasted the other two into mine, so it's a big rectangular shape.

~smcginnis

————————————————————————————————————

Ok. I've almost completely finished my section, but brickshelf and maj are down, so I can't upload it.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

I'm a Pumpkin.