NWBrickCon 2006 Castle Area Planning

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Thomas
Peasant

Post by Thomas »

Whoops! Sorry Ted I meant we are going to have a CCC along with Breadman's 8cres. Those that choose to convert or build to the 8cres standard can and are encouraged to do so and those that have or are building to the original standard can and are encouraged to do so. All will be welcomed and this close to the Con we don't expect anyone to modify something they don't want to. Breadman and I can build transition modules where needed and we will plan that out.

John L.
Got the messages and pics thanks for sending the pics that will be a big help.

Josh
As Breadman stated we’ll (and anyone else that would like to) be building transition modules and as long as we have the footprint of the MOC in studs, edge thickness and (if we can accommodate) the preferred table orientation (i.e.: long edge facing out) we should me able to mate everything up.

Breadman
Thank you for the post requesting all the "specs" that will make planning a whole lot easier. Haven't downloaded NWMap yet but will soon. I think a presentation would be great and I think that it would be long enough that we should probably have a separate Castle roundtable discussion. Saturday would be good email me what times would work for you.

Thomas Rafert

NWBC 2006 Team, Castle Coordinator, NWBrickCon™ 2006
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Sounds good, Tom. Looks like things are coming together. The roundtable discussion is a good idea.
BreadMan wrote: Josh -

Your MOC is an island, correct? So your water is made of blue plates rather than blue baseplates? Hmm. If so it's still doable I should think. Can you send me a pic? In fact...
Yup, its an island (plus other stuff) built on a 48x48 grey baseplate, so I covered it with blue plates. No pics as yet, not planning to take any until the Con.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Thomas wrote:Breadman
Thank you for the post requesting all the "specs" that will make planning a whole lot easier.
Sure thing! Guess I oughta post my own while I'm at it...

Name: Brendan Mauro
Email and/or other contact: PM me
Choose a flag to identify you in NWMap/fly above your MOCs
Flag #1 (red blue green white or yellow): Red
Flag #2 (red blue green white yellow or none): Yellow
Footprints of MOCs/modules you already have made:
1 oceangoing ship approx. 100 studs long by 20 studs wide
Rate on a scale of 1-5 how much time/effort you have available in the next 4 weeks to build up your baseplates into Base8 compatible modules, 1 being none 5 being plenty: 4
Whether or not you would be willing/able to build BPB supports for each of the modules you create (see last page of the Base8 .doc): Yes

How many 32x32, 32x16, 16x16, and 16x8 baseplates do you have available that are...
Green: 32x32 - 4, 32x16 - 1, 16x16 - 3, 16x8 - 2
Blue: 32x32 - 2, 32x16 - 2
Tan: 16x16 - 1
Brown:
Light Grey: 32x16 - 1
Dark Grey:

How many 8cres of Roads/Shorelines would you estimate you can build (Tan plates): 20-25
How many 8cres of Cliffs you estimate you could build (4x8x8 dark/light grey bricks): 12-15
About how many 8cres worth of blue baseplates you could convert to rivers/streams using green and grey bricks/plates: ~40
How many CCC Walls you have built, how many of those you could convert to Base8, and about how many new ones you could put together: 1 Base8, easily converted, can build as many more as I have baseplates for
How many CCC houses you could bring to put within the walls: none atm
Last edited by BreadMan on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Hi Tom,

I've been offically absorbed into the GPLR. I will be there, and I think Bob K. is the only other member I know is "fer sher." I've got three things coming.

I will have a one green base size Rapunzel's Tower. Also my old castle, it's about 18 green bases in size. I will be "premiering" it this weekend. I started it 25 years ago and it has grown slowly over the years. I have it on plywood. I cut 1/4" plywood into green baseplate size and build on that, I'm still a floor builder. Lastly, I will have my book-inspired Helm's Deep if I get it done (and it has a long way to go). It is one large gray base, and 4 green bases in size--for now.

I'm dragging along the family, so I'm gonna PM you for some lodging advice, seeya.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Although I can not attend NWBrickCon this year, I do want to be supportive. Check out the new image link on CC's main page to this thread. http://www.classic-castle.com If anyone who attends would like to write a castle article about the display and events, please let the admins know and we will put it on the main page. Have fun!

Ben
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

architect wrote:If anyone who attends would like to write a castle article about the display and events, please let the admins know and we will put it on the main page. Have fun!

Ben
Thanks for the link on the main page, Ben. I will be attending all three days and would be more than happy to write an article about the castle stuff and events.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

JoshWedin wrote:Thanks for the link on the main page, Ben. I will be attending all three days and would be more than happy to write an article about the castle stuff and events.

Josh
That would be great. Just drop me an email when you get back.

Ben
Thomas
Peasant

Post by Thomas »

The Blue Knight wrote: I will have a one green base size Rapunzel's Tower. Also my old castle, it's about 18 green bases in size. I will be "premiering" it this weekend. I started it 25 years ago and it has grown slowly over the years. I have it on plywood. I cut 1/4" plywood into green baseplate size and build on that, I'm still a floor builder. Lastly, I will have my book-inspired Helm's Deep if I get it done (and it has a long way to go). It is one large gray base, and 4 green bases in size--for now.

I'm dragging along the family, so I'm gonna PM you for some lodging advice, seeya.
It'll be great to see all your MOCs be sure to send me dimension in studs so I can plan accordingly.

PM'd ya back.
architect wrote:Although I can not attend NWBrickCon this year, I do want to be supportive. Check out the new image link on CC's main page to this thread. http://www.classic-castle.com If anyone who attends would like to write a castle article about the display and events, please let the admins know and we will put it on the main page. Have fun!

Ben
Sorry you can't attend Ben. Thanks for the link on the main page!
JoshWedin wrote:Thanks for the link on the main page, Ben. I will be attending all three days and would be more than happy to write an article about the castle stuff and events.

Josh
Thanks for doing this Josh that is one area I've have failed in the past. :oops:

Thomas
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

All right, I've got a much more modem-friendly online version of the Base8 article, it can be found here:

http://www.copernicanstudios.com/landscaping/

I rewrote a bit of it so its (I hope) a little less confusing initially, and added addendums for cliff heights being 8 instead of 7. I'm gonna wait on making any "final" changes til after the roundtable as I expect we'll be picking it apart a good deal.

Err, so, is no one else planning on contributing terrain to the display or are people just being lazy about filling out their specs? Perhaps I'm being impatient, but hey, I'm excited about this and want to get to planning :)

Somebody should make a post on lugnet linking people here, btw, in case there are any non-CCers who might be interested in contributing...
Thomas
Peasant

Post by Thomas »

Thanks for doing this Breadman it looks good. We're penciled in for a Saturday 4-5pm landscaping presentation, will that work? or would you rather have it 9-10am? The roundtable will take place during the public hours in a classroom away from the public unless of course we'd want to let them sit and listen I guess. I'm guessing although that the public would be interested in more "how-to's" than anything else.

I'll work up a post for Lugnet.

I'm still finding/counting all my baseplates. I'll try to post soon.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

BreadMan wrote:Err, so, is no one else planning on contributing terrain to the display or are people just being lazy about filling out their specs? Perhaps I'm being impatient, but hey, I'm excited about this and want to get to planning :)
I have a major model I'd rather finish first. I estimate I have 20-30 8x16 baseplates, 5-10 16x32 baseplates, and a few extra 32x32 plates, but don't quote me on that. Again, if this was brought up nearer the beginning of summer, I could definitely commit. At this point, I might be able to put together a few once I finish my main model, but no promises.

I'm also in the middle of moving away from home - Just today I moved the bulk of my collection 5-6 hours away!

Thomas wrote:Thanks for doing this Breadman it looks good. We're penciled in for a Saturday 4-5pm landscaping presentation, will that work? or would you rather have it 9-10am? The roundtable will take place during the public hours in a classroom away from the public unless of course we'd want to let them sit and listen I guess. I'm guessing although that the public would be interested in more "how-to's" than anything else.
Hi Tom, I think the 4-5pm would work best for me. I don't suppose I'd mind being away from the castle area so long as there's some supervision, though it might be useful to be around the types of models in question. If there's space, I'd like to be on the floor, so to speak...

-John L.

Edit:
Breadman, I just realized that the baseplates are intended to be green, and not covered over in plates? If so, that cuts my numbers in half easily. My big suggestion would to be have the standard one baseplate and one plate thick, so any colour plate could be used, coated over with green (or whatever colour you want,) plates. It makes it much more flexible. Reading over the standard a bit more, I find parts very limiting to any more advanced techniques.
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

J1A3L5 wrote: Edit:
Breadman, I just realized that the baseplates are intended to be green, and not covered over in plates? If so, that cuts my numbers in half easily. My big suggestion would to be have the standard one baseplate and one plate thick, so any colour plate could be used, coated over with green (or whatever colour you want,) plates. It makes it much more flexible. Reading over the standard a bit more, I find parts very limiting to any more advanced techniques.
What about if we use BPB (last page of the article)? Its just as you describe but brick + baseplate, not plate + baseplate, so you'd have to add a couple plates underneath your green, at least at the edges. You could have your modules slope down to just plate + baseplate in the middles to save on plates, though I get the impression that's not such a problem for you :P. And hey, this is all just a big experiment, by all means concentrate on your MOC first. From the pics you sent me I'd rather see that completed and have a slightly smaller display than have you take time away from it :).

And yeah, 4-5 saturday works great for me. Will there be a computer/projector available? I'd like to be able to show pics while we talk if we're unable to borrow a few modules from the display, though preferrably both. Don't public hours end at 4 anyway?
Thomas
Peasant

Post by Thomas »

BreadMan wrote:And yeah, 4-5 saturday works great for me. Will there be a computer/projector available? I'd like to be able to show pics while we talk if we're unable to borrow a few modules from the display, though preferrably both. Don't public hours end at 4 anyway?
Yes we'll have a computer/projector available. I'm sure we'll be able to have some 8cres there to pass around and look at and critique.

Yes the public hours are from 11 am to 4 pm. We've got time for the landscape presentation (4-5pm) and a separate Castle roundtable (sometime during the public hours). We can rearrange that if we want or if you feel energetic enough do a presentation for the public.
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

John - I just realized I had the numbers wrong on the BPB page. I redid the math and realized that if you wanted to do some modules as baseplates covered in a layer of plates that would be no problem, because all it would take is some 1/4inch foamcore, which is plenty easy to come by, to bring them to BPB height. If you want to do this I'll even get the foamcore for you.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

BreadMan wrote:
J1A3L5 wrote: What about if we use BPB (last page of the article)? Its just as you describe but brick + baseplate, not plate + baseplate...
Isn't the whole point of the proposed BSB standard that either is correct? I mean whether it is built using combinations of baseplates, plates or bricks what matters is that the finished height will match.

Just trying to clarify as I try to wrap my head around the entire proposed display standard. BSB seems the simplest and most useful component. I am still unsure about adopting the 8cres component. However, I think seeing it "live" will help.