castle nerds?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
groovyd2001
Peasant

Post by groovyd2001 »

Ok I am a nerd and i'm proud of it. Why I don't know. I love lego and I love to read and write. I play D&D alot and watch and read LOTR all the time. I Have just earned my glider pilots licence in the summer so I've been flying all fall. Now I'm studying in my spare time for my private pilots licence and working on writing a novel. I also film short 45min to an hour and a half movies with my friends and edit them on my home computer. So yeah i'm a big nerd and then agian isn't there a little nerd in each an everyone of us. 8) 8) 8)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less then half of you half as well as you should Deserve

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/index.htm][img]http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/images/button1.JPG[/img][/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

excellent soon we nerds of CC will unite and rule the world! then women wont be able to ignore us!

<listens to whisper from backstage>

<whispers back> "what do you mean they only ignore me?!
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

As of quite recently, I have a new "nerd" activity to add to my list of nerdy activities...actually I don't think its that bad, it just seems so few people actually like it. I was recently asked to correct and edit students' work at a nearby college. So thats what I'm doing. Last fall I was tutoring students attending the same college who have trouble speaking, reading, writingetc. in English...It just seems to now be one of those things I enjoy doing....so I guess that could be added to my list of nerd stuff.

And it really is nerdy because most people just *hate* reading, writing, or anything that has anything to do with words! [you know what I mean!]

Dan
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

dork

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I'm not talented.
I'm a high school dropout.
I do, though, have a management type job bossing around labourers.
I'm not into Sci-fi.**I don't count Star Wars as sci-fi**
I'm not well spoken or written.
I don't really fit into the typical nerd/geek mold.

I do, consider myself somewhat charming though.

Embrace your inner dorkiness.:D
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

Whom, but a nerd, geek or whatever, would compose a list such as this? :lol:
Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
Main Entry: nerd
Pronunciation: 'n&rd
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from nerd, a creature in the children's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950) by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)
Date: 1951
: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds>

Encarta
nerd [nurd] (plural nerds) noun
1. offensive term: an offensive term deliberately insulting somebody’s physical appearance or social skills ( slang insult )

2. single-minded enthusiast: an enthusiast whose interest is regarded as too technical or scientific and who seems obsessively wrapped up in it ( often used in combination; offensive in some contexts )

[Mid-20th century. Origin uncertain: perhaps created by children’s author Dr. Seuss (Theodore Seuss Geisel, 1904-1991) in If I Ran the Zoo (1950), referring to a small angry humanoid animal.]

allwords.com
nerd
nurd
noun
1. derog, slang
Someone who is foolish or annoying, often because they are so wrapped up in something that isn&apos;t thought worthy of such interest. Also in compounds.
Example: a computer nerd
Derivative: nerdish
adj
Derivative: nerdy
adj
Etymology: 1950s.

askoxford.com
nerd
noun informal a person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.
DERIVATIVES nerdish adjective nerdy adjective.
ORIGIN of unknown origin.

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
Main Entry: geek
Pronunciation: 'gEk
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low German geck, from Middle Low German
Date: 1914
1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disapproved of
- geeky /'gE-kE/ adjective

Encarta
geek [geek] (plural geeks) noun 1. somebody awkward: somebody who is considered unattractive and socially awkward ( insult )

2. arts outrageous carnival performer: a carnival performer whose act consists of outrageous feats such as biting the heads off live animals

3. computing obsessive computer user: somebody who enjoys or takes pride in using computers or other technology, often to what others consider an excessive degree ( informal )

[Late 19th century. Origin uncertain: perhaps from, ultimately, Low German gek fool.]

allwords.com
geek (slang)
noun
1. A circus freak or sideshow performer.
2. A strange or eccentric person.
3. A creep or misfit.
Derivative: geeky
adj
Etymology: 16c as geke: from Dutch geck a fool.

askoxford.com
geek
/geek/
noun informal, chiefly N. Amer. 1 an unfashionable or socially inept person. 2 an obsessive enthusiast.
DERIVATIVES geeky adjective.
ORIGIN from the related English dialect word geck ‘fool’.
Interesting, no?
Hey, thankyou Dr. Seuss!
Foolish engineers? Foolish Bill Gates? Foolish Steven Hawking? And how many computer geeks do you know who bite heads off of animals? More than you think it would seem. :lol: Personaly I think the definition of nerd and geek have changed slightly, even since I first heard the term(applied to me :P ).

By the by :D : I know far too many people I would call nerds/geeks who ski, play baseball, hunt, or something like that. So athletic aptitude doesen't let anyone off the hook. I also know a few geeks/nerds in the military, all began as privates, not officers. I know two female geeks/nerds(the ratio of female to male is certianly lower though). The hippies I know certianly have what I would call nerdy/geeky/eccentric aspects, even though the aspects aren't related to technology(except for one who's a videogame master, he also beats down parked cars and chases chipmunks. Wassamatter with him?). Most the artists I know of are at least a little eccentric. I even know a geek/nerd/eccentric that is rather adept socially, thus becoming an oxymoron.

C
This is as seen through male western Montana American's geeky/nerdy eyes. Your mileage may vary. :wink:
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

timber_wolf899 wrote
excellent soon we nerds of CC will unite and rule the world! then women wont be able to ignore us!
The change is in progress... already.

Last days I ask to my girlfriend if I'd be more attractive without my glasses. She said:
"No. I love your nerd look ! You look intellectual." (In French, obviously :wink: )

Some girls really like it. :D
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Glencaer wrote:I'd be a nerd if I wasn't so dern sexy!

Oh yeah, and I was also dern sexy.

But I do get to be so friggin sexy it hurts. I mean it, I'm so sexy I feel sexy pain from time to time.

-Lenny (the sexiest Admin)
I won't dispute your claim, Lenny. I would like to point out, however, that among blind men, the man with one eye is king.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Re: dork

Post by Dan_BL »

old_republic wrote:I'm not talented.
I'm a high school dropout.
I do, though, have a management type job bossing around labourers.
I'm not into Sci-fi.**I don't count Star Wars as sci-fi**
I'm not well spoken or written.
I don't really fit into the typical nerd/geek mold.

I do, consider myself somewhat charming though.

Embrace your inner dorkiness.:D
but......But....But...

...How do you fund you're lego habit. I don't mean just those little minifigs that you would buy for $45....I mean the BIG orders ppl make for A LOT of parts for castles and such?

How ever do you manage?

Dan