Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Joe Vig and the Ninjas

Discussion of general LEGO topics

Joe Vig and the Ninjas

Postby JoshWedin » Sun May 06, 2007 3:03 pm

Hey All,

I know this is similar to other vigs, but I wanted to show off my recently-acquired green ninjas. :twisted:

Another interesting feature of this vignette is that it is entirely brickless (and plateless).

Deeplinks:
Image
Image

Gallery (when public)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

Image The Brothers Brick
User avatar
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre
Chevalier de Chèvre
 
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:35 pm
Location: Pondering what you are pondering

Postby E of Alshire » Sun May 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Fight the power of baseplates! My work in progress has none either.

Yery nice vig! I always thought green made more sense than black, for camoflage anyway.
Image
User avatar
E of Alshire
Merchant
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:10 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Postby Maedhros » Sun May 06, 2007 4:34 pm

E of Alshire wrote:Yery nice vig! I always thought green made more sense than black, for camoflage anyway.


It depends on what time of day it is ;)

Nice vig anyway, normally brickless would mean something bad containing huge prefab things but in this context I really like it! Not sure it should be considered a true vig though.. but hey, who cares?
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
User avatar
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: The dark forests of Sweden

Postby lil Jon » Sun May 06, 2007 7:09 pm

The brickless and plateless technique is awesome. I really like how you can't see the green ninjas in the thumbnail. Poor Joe, he's never going to know what got him.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
User avatar
lil Jon
Merchant
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:38 am
Location: Top Bunk

Postby Blue Head » Sun May 06, 2007 7:50 pm

I like how there are no plates. the first time I looked at the small pictures I asked myself, "what ninjas?" I really couldn't see them from that size. I LOVE IT!
Image
User avatar
Blue Head
Steward
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: Behind you...

Postby smcginnis » Sun May 06, 2007 9:19 pm

I just saw this on your blog about an hour or two ago, and I really like it. It reminds me of the scene in the bamboo forest (obviously) from House of Flying Daggers, and also (but not as much) from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I love those three-leaved bricks. I wish I had some.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

Free Rice
User avatar
smcginnis
Justiciar
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:00 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, California

Postby wunztwice » Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Great work, nice to LEAF out the baseplates sometimes! (man! I need to stop with the bad jokes. I might get banned for not being very PUNNY :wink: ... :roll: )

Anyways, to the topic at hand:
I love the posing in this one Josh, it works magic in this vig. The green hoods are a nice detail!
Last edited by wunztwice on Mon May 07, 2007 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? My Bricklink

My Flickr!
My Brickshelf!(not updated...)
<><
User avatar
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern Oregon

Postby DARKspawn » Mon May 07, 2007 12:51 am

Excellent. Green ninjas! Cool, I don't have any of those. As the others have said the use of folliage for a base is fantastic. Well done Josh

wunztwice wrote:Great work, nice to LEAF out the baseplates sometimes!


:roll: oh boy, Chris... :lol:
User avatar
DARKspawn
Lord
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Shadowviking » Mon May 07, 2007 2:06 pm

No baseplates! Cool! The bamboo is nice too, as is the premise. But the lack of what often seems a necessity is what really stands out here, or to me, anyway. The green ninjas are cool, I have masks, but no bodies for some reason.... :? Awesome job, though!
...and that's how Equestria was made!
flickr | tumblr | teller's tales
User avatar
Shadowviking
Councilor
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:04 pm
Location: Holland MI

Postby leaf_of_lire » Mon May 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Great job! I never seen any creation with no base plates. Poor Joe... I could use some green ninjas... gimme! (Just joking)
User avatar
leaf_of_lire
Reeve
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:31 pm
Location: G-town MS

Postby Athos » Mon May 07, 2007 8:54 pm

DARKspawn wrote:
wunztwice wrote:Great work, nice to LEAF out the baseplates sometimes!


:roll: oh boy, Chris... :lol:


Give the poor guy a break... If I may opine, he's just trying to branch out and make a few j-oaks. Even if that kind of humor isn't poplar around here.

Steve :lol:
User avatar
Athos
Councilor of the Realm
 
Posts: 4261
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Nevada

Postby Shadowviking » Mon May 07, 2007 9:07 pm

Athos wrote:Give the poor guy a break... If I may opine, he's just trying to branch out and make a few j-oaks. Even if that kind of humor isn't poplar around here.


Arrrrgh, nooo! The pain.... ebbeh... :lol:
...and that's how Equestria was made!
flickr | tumblr | teller's tales
User avatar
Shadowviking
Councilor
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:04 pm
Location: Holland MI

Postby JPinoy » Mon May 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Nice bamboo trees. Kinda reminds me of that Crouching Tiger : Hidden Draon scene...
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PeoplesGeneral
User avatar
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Rockefeller Center LEGO Store

Postby The Blue Knight » Tue May 08, 2007 12:42 am

Athos wrote:
DARKspawn wrote:
wunztwice wrote:Great work, nice to LEAF out the baseplates sometimes!


:roll: oh boy, Chris... :lol:


Give the poor guy a break... If I may opine, he's just trying to branch out and make a few j-oaks. Even if that kind of humor isn't poplar around here.

Steve :lol:


I don't mean to needle you about this, but the lack of plate is at the root of this smashing MOC. If it took place on a white sand beech it couldn't be better. Unless the ninjas were circling the maple on May Day, or if they were rowan down the river, or if they were both named douglas. Not even if they protested the wearing of firs by their favorite model Twiggy. I like the sequoi(a)-ence of events in this sappy vig, it's almost like you built it in the pinecone of silence. Do you like to build, I mean, I just aspen you? I say bonsai to this willowy builder! A most grand and noble MOC, that gathers no moss.

My head's going to explode! Honestly, I took it easy on you, I didn't get into blossom, bloom, bud and all that.


All seriousness aside, I love this, man! Well not this man, I mean, we're friends and all, but--I digress. This rocks. I've never seen bamboo done in Lego before, and the green ninjas fit right in. All very Goldman of you to do it sans baseplate. Very cool my friend.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
User avatar
The Blue Knight
Merchant
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:28 am
Location: Yamhill Country

Postby wunztwice » Tue May 08, 2007 1:50 am

The Blue Knight wrote:
Athos wrote:
DARKspawn wrote:
wunztwice wrote:Great work, nice to LEAF out the baseplates sometimes!


:roll: oh boy, Chris... :lol:


Give the poor guy a break... If I may opine, he's just trying to branch out and make a few j-oaks. Even if that kind of humor isn't poplar around here.

Steve :lol:


I don't mean to needle you about this, but the lack of plate is at the root of this smashing MOC. If it took place on a white sand beech it couldn't be better. Unless the ninjas were circling the maple on May Day, or if they were rowan down the river, or if they were both named douglas. Not even if they protested the wearing of firs by their favorite model Twiggy. I like the sequoi(a)-ence of events in this sappy vig, it's almost like you built it in the pinecone of silence. Do you like to build, I mean, I just aspen you? I say bonsai to this willowy builder! A most grand and noble MOC, that gathers no moss.

My head's going to explode! Honestly, I took it easy on you, I didn't get into blossom, bloom, bud and all that.


All seriousness aside, I love this, man! Well not this man, I mean, we're friends and all, but--I digress. This rocks. I've never seen bamboo done in Lego before, and the green ninjas fit right in. All very Goldman of you to do it sans baseplate. Very cool my friend.


Wow guys :roll: ... If I had only known I would cause this sort of problem,...or even if Josh had known...

Anyways, I guess leave it to a great creation to spawn a whole unrelated discussion, eh?!?!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? My Bricklink

My Flickr!
My Brickshelf!(not updated...)
<><
User avatar
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern Oregon

Next

Return to General LEGO

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest