Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

The Battle of Lexington

Discussion of general LEGO topics

The Battle of Lexington

Postby oo7 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:01 pm

First off, here's some music to set the tone! FORWARD MARCH! (click the play button)

The Battles of Lexington and Concord were the first military engagements of the American Revolutionary War. They were fought on April 19, 1775, in Middlesex County, Province of Massachusetts Bay, within the towns of Lexington, Concord, Lincoln, Menotomy (present-day Arlington), and Cambridge, near Boston. The battles marked the outbreak of open armed conflict between the Kingdom of Great Britain and its thirteen colonies in the mainland of British North America.

About 700 British Army regulars, under Lieutenant Colonel Francis Smith, were ordered to capture and destroy military supplies that were reportedly stored by the Massachusetts militia at Concord. The Patriot colonists had received intelligence weeks before the expedition which warned of an impending British search, and had moved much, but not all, of the supplies to safety. They had also received details about British plans on the night before the battle, and information was rapidly supplied to the militia.

The first shots were fired just as the sun was rising at Lexington. The militia were outnumbered and fell back. Other British colonists, hours later at the North Bridge in Concord, fought and defeated three companies of the king's troops. The outnumbered soldiers of the British Army fell back from the Minutemen after a pitched battle in open territory.

More Minutemen arrived soon thereafter and inflicted heavy damage on the British regulars as they marched back towards Boston. Upon returning to Lexington, Smith's expedition was rescued by reinforcements under Hugh, Earl Percy. A combined force of fewer than 1,700 men marched back to Boston under heavy fire in a tactical withdrawal and eventually reached the safety of Charlestown.

The British failed to maintain the secrecy and speed required to conduct a successful strike into hostile territory, yet they did destroy some weapons and supplies. Most British regulars returned to Boston. The occupation of surrounding areas by the Massachusetts Militia that evening marked the beginning of the Siege of Boston.

Copy and wasted from wiki, naturally.

More shots
oo7
Villein

Postby eNiGMa » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Great building and educational! I love that howitzer.
Nathan Cunningham
Blog | Facebook | MOCs
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Postby smcginnis » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:09 pm

Well, the history of this grand (*ahem*) country rather bores me, so I skipped most of the text (rare for me); but this is a very nice pair of vigs. The wall is really nice looking, and that's an awesome cannon.

~smcginnis

P.S. I don't mean anything derogatory by the *ahem*.
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

Free Rice
smcginnis
Justiciar

Postby Athos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:19 pm

Great! I especially like the wall. I was going to do something similar, but now will have to wait a bit until everyone has forgotten you'd done it first...

Steve
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Postby oo7 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:17 am

eNiGMa wrote:Great building and educational! I love that howitzer.

Thank you! I wish Lego would produce some more historical lines for that very reason (Pirates! :D).

smcginnis wrote:Well, the history of this grand (*ahem*) country rather bores me, so I skipped most of the text (rare for me); but this is a very nice pair of vigs. The wall is really nice looking, and that's an awesome cannon.

~smcginnis

P.S. I don't mean anything derogatory by the *ahem*.

That's quite alright, but I hope you didn't skip the music, however. Looking over the post (note; not 'reading' :wink:) with the music in the background creates quite an interesting effect. Although I'm very glad you like the vignettes!

Athos wrote:Great! I especially like the wall. I was going to do something similar, but now will have to wait a bit until everyone has forgotten you'd done it first...

Steve

:P Haha, that really great, thanks! Perhaps you could make a Boston Tea Party Vignette. I would love to see that! :)
oo7
Villein

Postby Prince Imdol » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 am

Cool, I live in Lincoln, so I know this stuff pretty well thanks to school.
As far as the vig, I quite like it. They are all very good! Well Done!

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Prince Imdol
Master

Postby Sir Kohran » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Sometime I'll have to make a diorama of the burning of Washington :P

Anyway, nice work. The cannon is very compact and the design clearly has some thought in it. Good work.

- Matt
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Postby DARKspawn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:21 pm

:lol: The theme music was a nice touch. Great vigs! I like cannon especially.
DARKspawn
Lord

Postby PowderMonkey » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:27 pm

Yet, another late response :roll:
I also love the wall, it's very historically accurate.
"Which I am very picky"!
Ya, I to would love lego to do pirate stuff.
Any way I love it, and envy your horseback soldier's cape!

Powder Monkey
My Dad can beat up your Dad.
PowderMonkey
Monkey McJosh

Postby oo7 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:00 pm

Thank you so much for the late response, Mr. Monkey, as it has made me aware of the replies by Prince Imdol, Sir Kohran and Darkspawn that it seems I have missed! :) Also, thanks for the comments on the creation, I too an very much into impeccable historical accuracy, I think that gives it more of a significant impact and life-like feeling.

@Imdol - Thank you, and that's pretty cool. Hopefully you've visited Lexington in the past then, it's a really neat place with wonderful historical heritage.

@Kohran - Yes, I encourage it! There are not enough 18th century set MOCs here on the web, and the vignette form is a great technique for building one. Thank you very much for the compliments.

@Aaron - Yes, I think the rhythmic drum music makes up half the show. Thanks again!
oo7
Villein

Return to General LEGO