85%
Handle and tines (head) as separate pieces
15%

Total votes: 78

doc069
Bailiff

Custom ABS Molding - Pitchfork

Post by doc069 »

Hey guys & gals, I am in negotiations to have some custom molds made to fill some gaps left by TLG.

I want some more pitchforks and don't want to pay $3 each (if I could find them in quantities I am looking for), for a large peasant army.

A friend of mine owns a custom molding business and we are putting together some designs for various elements.

Likely the first one is going to be a pitchfork design either with a handle as one piece, or w/out handle that could be a separate mold and pieced together to allow for different coloured handle and head.

Which way would you like to see such a creation made?

These will be available for sale at a price comparable to other custom pieces, and no - I am not trying to compete with anyone. These pieces will just be sold to cover the cost of their creation and will probably have a large part of the cost subsidized by myself.

More elements will follow.

Please advise,

Lee
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Definitely one piece please. I would also really love to see a more tradtional two-tined fork with the correct curve. Peasant armies, mobs preparing to burn Frankenstein's castle...nice.
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Sounds like a very admirable cause, I wish many blessing upon it, hoping that doesn't in fact doom your venture. I voted one-piece as I love the original and don't think such a piece would look as good with an alternate color head. I hope it works out and may be interested in purchasing some if your finished product looks anything like the one I know and love, if only to support a fledgling Canadian customizer. Just remember to beware of TLG's recent sin of over sizing ie, new scythes, maces, KKII zwords.
Hears hoping this takes off for ya,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

I just noticed this post. I vote for one piece. If you do start selling these I would be interested in buying.
Last edited by castlebuilder100 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avranor
Villein

Post by Avranor »

Definitley one piece. It would be great for some of the younger fans like me to be able to buy some pitchforks without resorting to the over priced bricklink option.
"The seventeenth will rise in the last year of the land's life." Eregor the spellweaver, from The book of the Flameblade.

"why so serious?"
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

One piece would be easier, and cheaper, for a machined two part mold.

Good luck.
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

Blasterman wrote:One piece would be easier, and cheaper, for a machined two part mold.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice and the wishes.

It looks like one piece it is with the Builders Lounge votes in and these here - it is skewed to the one piece.

It will probably be late summer before production ramps up. I have my CCFP exam to write in a couple of weeks (before I get to be a real doctor and not 'just' a resident), and studying is taking up most of my time.

Cheers,

Lee
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Lee,

Good luck with that. After the long road almost there eh. I am getting closer to ending my degree and thought it was long until I heard what a friend in the medical field was looking at....

Take care,

R
highlandcattle
Serf

Post by highlandcattle »

Lovely idea,I will buy at least five if the quality is as good as brickforge. And I hope that other farm equipement will follow!
Brickule
Servant of the Secret Fire

Post by Brickule »

One piece.
highlandcattle
Serf

Post by highlandcattle »

What is the status on this project?
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

It is still in the works. I have just recently moved to a small town at the foot of the Rockies and am building a new practice as we speak - although, with the shortage of docs people are flocking to my practice like fat kids to an all you can eat candy buffet.

In addition, we are renovating our house with my wife and I as the contractors, and sub-contractors for the most part. There is too much work in the town and none of the contractors are interested in 'small' jobs. Heck, even the painter wanted 17K to paint the house - my wife and I ended up painting.

So things are progressing, just slowly. I have to wait for my buddy to get back from his honeymoon to make it to the next stage. Sorry for the delay guys, but this will happen (eventually).

Lee
stuck in a 'gray-age' at the moment (Lego is still in boxes)
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

I'm torn. One piece would undoubtedly look better and cleaner. It would also cause less frustration (i.e. losing the head or the shaft alone). However two pieces would allow for the fork to have a metal look while the shaft had a wooden look which would be more realistic.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."