Downhill Charge

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
insurrection
Laborer

Downhill Charge

Post by insurrection »

The soldiers of the Empire lower their halberds and begins the charge against the Free Territories Army.
The united forces of peasants, forestmen and wolfpack has taken their stand on this side of the river in hope of preventing General Grevorier from crossing. Along with the halberdiers, spears hails down the hill and one of the peasants is struck in the middle of his gut. A plume of blood sprays over the flowering field - the battle have begun...

Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=309776

Hi! This is my entry to the 2008 Battle Contest, as well as my first post :D I'v been out of my DA for some time (half a year maybe) now, and also been stalking the forums for long.
This is my first battle build and I'm not totally satisfied, it didn't really got the feeling of movement amongst the halberdiers that I was aiming for (even if I think it looked better irl than the photos shows, guess I need to improve my photo skills as well :P), still it was fun building and I'm really happy with how nice the metallic euro-armor went aside with the chainmale torsos.

And sorry for grammar and spelling errors, english not being my mother tongue (I'm swede).
Last edited by insurrection on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Welcome to CC!
I like the concept. But it seems to me that the Free Territories Army outnumbers the soldiers of the Empire. I like the javelineers popping out from behind the bushes. I like the tree, too. I need to get me some more tree leaves.

Good luck on the contest!
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
paleotaur
Peasant

Post by paleotaur »

Very cool. I think that you do effectively convey the feeling of the Imperial forces rushing in from "off camera" to charge the peasants' line.

I like the choices you made in constructing your army, unique and quite believable.

Voran: I agree that the soldiers appear outnumbered, but I think that might be deliberate, as I said, I get the feeling there are more soldiers we aren't seeing on the way. Also, keep in mind that the army is better armed and trained than the peasantry.
insurrection
Laborer

Post by insurrection »

Thanks for the respons, cool that you liked it! :D

And yes indeed, my intention was to to make the scene look like a cross section out of a larger battle with the hill continuing in the camers direction of this photo, and more imperal halberdiers and javelineers flanking and filling in from behind, as well as a longer FTA line.
For achiving that feeling maybe I shouldn't have the wolfpack soldiers facing in against the middle of the scene, on the other hand it would feel off having them looking for something outside the scenery which you can't see for your self.

(hehe, and of course I tried to make this so mainly because i don't carry to many more figs for the different factions)

And while I'm posting... The guy with the great sword is the general.
The green wizard goes with to the forestmen and the black one with the wolfpack.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

My bad. I can understand that completely. Why, I did the same thing myself in one of my earlier entries. I can understand about not having figs. I own a lot of Castle figs, but no more than three or four per faction. That includes almost all the factions, too.

After reviewing the pics though, I noticed that the FTA has two wizards and that the Imperials have none. Now that part is definitely lopsided. :P But oh well. It's still a good MOC.
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Who thinks of flowers?? Good job! Very realistic scenery and the ambush aspect is well-done.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...