Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Very slope-intensive tower technique by dmac

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

Very slope-intensive tower technique by dmac

Postby Bruce N H » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey all,

This would take like a gazillion slopes, but dmac has an interesting [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=362293]rounded tower technique:
Image[/url]
Looks like he's using it for a Star Wars MOC (that imperial base on Endor, I think), but it could equally well be a rounded castle tower.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce N H on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Postby shmails » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:33 pm

It looks very cool! I would love to see the final product of the entire wall. I tried this once to make an outfield wall for a baseball field, but it failed miserably, or at least I did. :D
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Postby wunztwice » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Hrm. I wonder if the tower could be reduced in size to help with the parts-intensity. This is an excellent idea, however, and I'll certainly be keeping it in mind.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? My Bricklink

My Flickr!
My Brickshelf!(not updated...)
<><
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Postby puddleglum » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:55 pm

That looks great. It's funny, just the other day I put those five slopes together and thought about how they could make a nice round tunnel, but I never thought of turning them on their side to make a pillar/tower!

It would use a lot of slopes, but compared to the alternating 1x3 brick 1x2 tube technique, this actually looks like it requires a much smaller number of parts.
puddleglum
Artisan

Postby Bruce N H » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:55 pm

I think that if it was reduced in size you'd lose the rounded effect and would end up with more of an octagonal tower.

Bruce
Bruce N H

Postby draugaer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 pm

cool technique, it is very parts intensive though, I doubt anyone could realistically use this to build a tall, mini-fig scale tower.

However I could see the usefulness of this if you're building a round or curved structure in micro-scale. You could also use this to make a barrel vault.
draugaer
Apprentice

Postby puddleglum » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 pm

I don't think it's that impractical. Of the five slopes used to make this, 3 of them can be had in large quantities on BL for under $ .07 per brick, and the other two are around $.13. 60 of each of those five slopes would be enough to build a tower 30 studs (brick widths) high, 3x the height of the pictured prototype. Total cost for the bricks would probably be something like $25 not counting shipping.

That being said, it seems like it would be quite a challenge to integrate any kind of windows or other architectural details using this technique. But that's going to be true for any lego design involving round shapes.
puddleglum
Artisan

Return to Castle MOCs