First part of my corner tower project is completed! (Mostly)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
J1A3L5
Steward

First part of my corner tower project is completed! (Mostly)

Post by J1A3L5 »

There's not a whole lot to say at this point I guess, although there are a few details not finished. Such as I hope to have trees on the flat green area outside the walls and I need some more 1x2 tiles to finish off the top of the walls. Next comes the inside, which I am still completely unsure of...

Thanks and if you have any comments, questions or criticisms please voice them. And of course, enjoy! :)
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Two thumbs waaaaay up. Can you get inside the Tower? I take it you don't have enough pieces to make the rest of the wall? If so, I know how you feel. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Looks good! If you have a shortage of bricks a stable would be a good idea for the interior, as it doesn't use very many. A courtyard is good too, and it doesn't use any.[/quote]
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

That is way cool! I wish I had that many bricks.
Alan
good times
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I like those crenellations... I feel like borrowing the design but with the smaller slope bricks.

But there's this urge Im having with regard to your corner tower. I feel like posting mines... :D

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=608286
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

You aren't calling that a CORNER tower, I hope, JPinoy! :wink:
the_Rascal_King
Laborer

Post by the_Rascal_King »

Nice!
I know it's not historically accurate, but I enjoy castle walls with more color in the design. Not much, mind you, but I think a single line of red and yellow 2xN plates juxtaposed would give the wall and tower that PUNCH that makes classic MOCs.
Other than that, I'm really impressed by this. It looks like you could kick it and it would still be in one peice!
The crenelations and windows are a nice streamlined design, they compliment the shape quite well.
I cannot wait to see this finished! It'll be massive!
-Jason
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... alKing1083]the Rascal King[/url]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hey J1A3L5,

That is a great corner tower. As others have said th battlements look great! I also like the use of wooden inner railings and the addition of the horizontal flagpoles. If only we all had enough bricks to finish these sorts of projects.

Will

Hmm, with this post I become a gentleman, I've never been called that before. :wink:
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Formendacil wrote:You aren't calling that a CORNER tower, I hope, JPinoy! :wink:
It's a corner tower. See the walkway inside it?http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Elite ... tower6.jpg
I plan on making about 11 more of them to surround the city-state.

Anyhow, as for Jaily's crenellations, the problem Im gonna have is how to make those 45-degree sloped crenellations fit on my tower's corners. I really like his crenellation design since it looks like the Naga's teeth (I use Black Knight's dragon emblem to symbolize the Naga from ancient Philippine mythology).
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Thanks all, this is actually one of my first MOC's that I've actually been happy with. My biggest problem is a complete lack of the quantity of figs I'll need/want to finish.

I'm glad the crenellations are so liked - They were sort of what started the whole project.
Two thumbs waaaaay up. Can you get inside the Tower? I take it you don't have enough pieces to make the rest of the wall? If so, I know how you feel.
I don't have enough pieces to make any more - I almost put stairs up, but I didn't like the look of them.

Looks good! If you have a shortage of bricks a stable would be a good idea for the interior, as it doesn't use very many. A courtyard is good too, and it doesn't use any.
I'm quite interested in the idea of stables, but I have no idea how they would work exactly. Any chance of a example of a lego version? :)
I know it's not historically accurate, but I enjoy castle walls with more color in the design. Not much, mind you, but I think a single line of red and yellow 2xN plates juxtaposed would give the wall and tower that PUNCH that makes classic MOCs.
Other than that, I'm really impressed by this. It looks like you could kick it and it would still be in one peice!
The crenelations and windows are a nice streamlined design, they compliment the shape quite well.
I hope to make the inside fairly colourful to make up for the walls, but personally I like the simple grey walls. And yes, it is fairly strong the only really weak part of it is the very top of the battlements, and of course the flags which get bumped off so easily.

And JP - Thanks for stealing my thread. :roll: :wink: And of course feel free to use that design if you wish, I don't mind. I actually tried using the angles you mentioned, but it didn't give the same sort of look I wanted.

Thanks again all, I hope to have more soon. :)
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I really love the rocky hill at the bottom of the wall. Not only does it look nice, but I saw something on the History Channel that said that something like this would help keep an attacker from knocking the wall down with some sort of ram. I don't know if you had this in mind while building, but it worked out well.
The wall looks good plain, because it has such nice terrain at the bottom and crenelations at the top. I think adding anything more to the wall itself would distract attention from these and detract from the over all look.
It's a shame that you don't have enough bricks to build any more. This would have been one Megablocks of a castle. Oh well... at least it's good to know that there are other people in the same boat as I am. I never have enough bricks to build anything quite that large.
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

excellent!

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Jail!

Got to say you've got an excellent tower & wall there! The lines are nice a clean -- I also liked the windows on both sides of the tower. The flags are a nice touch as well.

Props to the raised landscape, also excellent! One question (for everyone out there) -- I would really like to see varied terrain, in other words, walls which are not always the same height as the ground at the base is sloped, etc.

Dave
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Very nice tower Jail. I am duly impressed. Quite frankly, I don't think it needs any more details, it looks rather good by itself.

JP - you never tire of showing your corner tower, do you? :lol:
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

That is awesome! I really like the landscaping, good job! :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

If you have to few bricks who have the same color you should use bricks you aren't going to use for you walls inside between the grey bricks.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"