One down, two to go.

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

One down, two to go.

Post by SavaTheAggie »

No, I'm not putting this up for a trade. I'm bragging. I'm an Admin, I can do that. :D

My first Yellow Castle. This is one of three classic castle sets that I've always wanted but never had. The other two are the King's Castle and a Forestmen set I can't remember the name of.

This is part of a trade I received from an AFOL who'd rather see this in the collection of a castle fan than to someone random. It's mostly complete. Included is an original box (with some writing on it), instruction book, catalog of sets from 1978, a reproduction sticker sheet, and some spare parts (including a classic space 1x2 brick). The bricks are very used, and two of the 1x8 arches have some sort of silver paint pen marking on them (I was able to hide it behind the parts).

Most obviously missing is the total lack of minifigs, but aside from that all the accessories are present except one black visor and two lances (plus 1 extra sword and 2 extra axes). Instead of the black visor, an extra light grey visor is included.

Other parts missing: the 6 red 1x1 window bricks (like a headlight brick but not), 1 light grey 4x6 plate, 1 light grey 2x6 plate, and 1 1x2 black plate (mouth of one of the horses).

I don't have much interest in trying to assemble the actual figs (but I might) but the castle itself and the horses will be receiving a place of honor on a shelf in my LEGO room.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Yellow castles are fun. According to the stickers and box, yours definitely is a European 375 version. Since you have most of the armor and helmet pieces, it would be fairly easy to purchase the legs, torsos (some which you could brasso), and smiley heads. Pieces for these figs on bricklink would probably only set you back $15.

Four of the extra 1x4 yellow bricks can be used to hold the hinged baseplates together. This castle is not the easiest to move around without those locked in place.

Ben
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

Congratulations on acquiring one of your three most wanted sets. I definitely know the feeling of nostalgia associated with certain rare or memorable sets. How long might you be keeping the set in tact? Just curious and enjoy your prize...
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Nice work. I have often thought about getting this castle or not but the usual cost has kept it off my wish list. Glad you have got such a classic of the castle line, the great grandfather of them all. Minifigs should be simple for this set no? They are all basic Lego colours if I remember correctly. Since you have all the armour and arms you basically have arrived right. :wink:

I have such a list as well which is getting smaller. I got two of the four on my list in the last year or so. I still have two left but they are both smaller (hopefully cheaper) sets. Is the Forestman set you need the forestment's river fortress? That’s the one I need to have the forestmen's line complete. Neat set as well.

Congrats again.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

architect wrote:Yellow castles are fun. According to the stickers and box, yours definitely is a European 375 version. Since you have most of the armor and helmet pieces, it would be fairly easy to purchase the legs, torsos (some which you could brasso), and smiley heads. Pieces for these figs on bricklink would probably only set you back $15.

Four of the extra 1x4 yellow bricks can be used to hold the hinged baseplates together. This castle is not the easiest to move around without those locked in place.

Ben
Well, the sticker sheet is a reproduction, so don't give much credence to that. I think I'll take your suggestion, Ben. I'll go ahead and buy plain, normal figs without worrying about getting vintage parts, and visually complete the set. That'll make it even more special.
BrianofBrick06 wrote:Congratulations on acquiring one of your three most wanted sets. I definitely know the feeling of nostalgia associated with certain rare or memorable sets. How long might you be keeping the set in tact? Just curious and enjoy your prize...
Thanks! I'll be keeping it intact for a long, long time. I already have 12 of the 375 visors for use in figs, so the accessories and parts don't really hold much value to me in parting out and adding to the total collection. No, she'll be kept intact indefinitely, on display in my LEGO room - something I reserve for only the best or favorite sets.
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Nice work. I have often thought about getting this castle or not but the usual cost has kept it off my wish list. Glad you have got such a classic of the castle line, the great grandfather of them all. Minifigs should be simple for this set no? They are all basic Lego colours if I remember correctly. Since you have all the armour and arms you basically have arrived right. :wink:

I have such a list as well which is getting smaller. I got two of the four on my list in the last year or so. I still have two left but they are both smaller (hopefully cheaper) sets. Is the Forestman set you need the forestment's river fortress? That’s the one I need to have the forestmen's line complete. Neat set as well.

Congrats again.

Heir
I had really given up hope of ever getting the set long, long ago. The expense was really out of my league, and I had already collected the most valuable (to me) parts out of it.

I have the River Fortress, as well as all the others, like yourself. No, the set I lack is the Camouflaged Outpost. I had the chance to buy it complete at Brickfest 2003 for $30 and I passed it up, and I have ever since kicked myself for it. But... such is life, no sense in dwelling in the past.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

I hate you and admire you at the same time. :evil:

Is that bad?

Got to give props to the AFOL who thought enough to get that beauty into the hands of someone who would really appreciate it.

Grats!
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Congrats on your find and good luck acquiring the other 2 sets. I am fortunate to have the 2 sets you are in the hunt for. I agree that those are 2 of the greatest sets ever produced. Maybe it's nostalgia or maybe it's fact, but either way they are worthy sets to own.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Legoist
Peasant

Post by Legoist »

Fond memories... I had the yellow castle when I was a kid, it was lost with all the rest during the inquisition era. It's not impossible to almost recreate it today since it used fairly normal bricks, but some are not produced anymore (at least not in yellow). What I miss most however is the helms' visor. I still believe those were the best castle helms ever made!!