USPS issues

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
Munchy
Foot Soldier

USPS issues

Post by Munchy »

Just wanted to see if anyone else was having these issues.

In the last six months I've had several packages from eBay and Bricklink get delivered to my local post office with insufficient postage. In two of the cases I can see how a mistake was made but the others are perplexing. Every one of these problem children had used the prepaid Paypal labels.

Now apart from my local Post Master being a real <female dog> when it comes to package rates (she sizes/weighs everything), she really knows her stuff. She can recite chapter and verse pricing and policies so well that I don't challenge her any more. What gets my goat is shouldn't the originating Post Office know this stuff too? Why should I have to pay for a package that the Post Office has accepted at one end with what it considered as proper postage?

Should I just force them to send the packages back and live without?

Looking for your two cents.

Thanks.
Baites
Foot Soldier

Re: USPS issues

Post by Baites »

Many years ago, I used to work for Purolator Courier, so I might be able to shed some light on your issue.

I think it has to do with how the package being mailed to you entered the USPS system. If the package is being picked up at by a carrier or dropped in a mailbox, this might be causing the problem.

When I worked at Purolator, the delivery drivers would pick-up parcels from businesses. The business affixed their own labels and entered the weight and dimensions online. Since the driver wasn't double checking the information, it might not be to Purolator's standards, but they would take it anyway. Afterall, the business had an account with Purolator, so they could bill them correctly later.

When the driver dropped off their pick-ups, someone would be working the line, trying to scan as many packages as possible and enter the dimensions into the computer system. Not all the packages would be checked at the point of origin (getting the truck out on time was more important in order to make the next day delivery guarantee). A package might be checked at the central sorting hub and the last chance to catch any errors would be at the destination.

But if you used one of Purolator's outlets, then the exact weight and size would be correctly taken and the sender would be billed the correct amount right then and there.

So I think that is the issue. The packages are not entering USPS system at a postal outlet, but through mailbox pickup (either at the house box or a street mailbox). The package isn't being double checked until it reaches you. Since this isn't a business account the USPS can simply send an updated end of the month invoice, so any amount owing is left for you to settle.