~9' Long Bay Street Armoury Model

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
J1A3L5
Steward

~9' Long Bay Street Armoury Model

Post by J1A3L5 »

Hello everyone -

It sure has been a long time since I have posted here!

I'd like to share a model I had the opportunity to help build this past weekend. The overall design and layout was executed by Robin Sather of Brickville DesignWorks and the display was coordinated with a VicLUG layout, a large (up to 120 entries) contest from children, and a kid-build area.

While not a medieval castle, the structure we made was a romantic castle built in 1915, and is now known as the Bay Street Armoury, here in Victoria, BC, Canada. It is still operated by the military today.

Image Image Image

The build is a mixture of System Brick and Duplo, about a 50/50 mix resulting in approximately 26,000 pieces being used. Robin and I prefabricated about 150 windows on Thursday night, and then the build started Friday morning and was completed around lunchtime on Sunday, during the regular mall hours. Aside from Robin and myself, Christian Capell (check out his tanks!) and Mary Plumridge worked on the build. I'm proud to say I got to do a lot of system-brick work around the front entrance, including many of the windows, the towers and balcony!

The model is a very accurate depiction of the real Bay Street Armoury; we had many reference photographs and spent a great deal of time figuring out how to make each window type distinctive and representative of the real thing. For reference, this picture is a great image for comparison. A google search will yield lots of photos.

I hope you enjoy looking at this modern-day castle!
-John.
Tedward
Squire

Re: ~9' Long Bay Street Armoury Model

Post by Tedward »

I helped with the windows, a bit of the foundation and built the front doors!
Medieval Guy
Squire

Re: ~9' Long Bay Street Armoury Model

Post by Medieval Guy »

It's cool that you mixed Duplo in with System, and it looks great!
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]