Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

LCC-Loreos, A Struggle in the Swamp.

Post by Mark of Falworth »

The campaign log of the Loreesi forces fighting in the swamps of the Outlaws
In the year 1314.

...The men are in high spirits, though, at first there was no resistance on the part of the Outlaws. But, on the twelfth day in enemy lands we met a large force next to a stream, it would have gone hard with us if we had not sent a group of men to the right of us a few miles, and during the encounter they appeared at the best moment possible, attacked the rebels in their rear. Thus, the day was won, and the enemy, vanquished.

Onward brave knights! For the Glory of Loreos!!

High Councillor ~Mark of Falworth.

Well, I wanted to build a bigger scene than this, and I also wanted to use more minifigs than this, but I'm pressed for time as of late. So, here is a medium sized battle. :?

Hope you guys like it, C&C Welcome! :)
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Re: LCC-Loreos, A Struggle in the Swamp.

Post by friskywhiskers »

I saw this on Flickr before, and It's really great! I love the two willow like trees in the background. Is this a Free Build (Do FOs even have scores)?
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

The banks are really good, and willow trees too. I see your reasoning with the snot water, but it just doesn't feel too swampy to me. The blue seems to create too much of a bright, cheery atmosphere, but I really don't know any other techniques that would have changed that, other than using tons of trans-green tiles. The terrain is a little too blocky too, it is easy to see that under the bamboo pieces and with green bricks on top of the islands. I'm probably being a bit to critical here, it still is an amazing creation, but just not my favorite of yours.
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Excellent work as always Mark 8) Though I do agree that a different color for the water would work better, but I understand not having the parts to do so.
The fig posing is stunning1
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

awesome work again mark. I agree that the bright blue is too watery looking for a swamp but its not so easy to make a swamp of this size, it takes alot of parts. The trees and the fight poseing is really good, :D
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Mark of Falworth »

friskywhiskers wrote:I saw this on Flickr before, and It's really great! I love the two willow like trees in the background. Is this a Free Build (Do FOs even have scores)?
Thanks! :) Yes, it's a free-build. And yes, FOs do have scores, although we're often hosting the challenges and can't win points. But, we can earn points through free-builds and other ways. :)
Eklund wrote:The banks are really good, and willow trees too. I see your reasoning with the snot water, but it just doesn't feel too swampy to me. The blue seems to create too much of a bright, cheery atmosphere, but I really don't know any other techniques that would have changed that, other than using tons of trans-green tiles. The terrain is a little too blocky too, it is easy to see that under the bamboo pieces and with green bricks on top of the islands. I'm probably being a bit to critical here, it still is an amazing creation, but just not my favorite of yours.
Yeah, I rather detest using SNOT water in general. (That sounds weird. Lol!) And when doing water in a MOC I prefer my usual technique. But in this particular scene it did not work at all. So, I had to use SNOT water, which would not have been that bad. But, as you said, the bright blue color does make the scene too cheerful/happy looking. Dark green or dark brown would have worked much better. And sadly, I have very limited supplies of these colors. :?

The Blockiness is just a result of me hurrying though this build. (I built it in an hour) It indeed would have looked better with plates instead of bricks.
Glad you like it though! :)

@Soccerkid
@mencot

Thanks guys! :D
Queta Knight
Serf

Post by Queta Knight »

Your terrain is really good, and the water is really nice also! Those trees are amazing too! :)
Wisdom depends on not a chance, but on a choice.
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

It's a really neat build, but the swamp isn't quite murky seeming enough. Perhaps you could add a bit more in the way of pond scum by putting in a few of those branch pieces used on your trees. :)
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams