Stained Glass Windows

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Buford
Laborer

Stained Glass Windows

Post by Buford »

I am taking my Cathedral down tonight, I’m out of 1*n bricks and a friend noted where are the walls?

I have a notion; I have clear transparencies for my laser jet. I have 2 color Epson stink jets.

Most of the walls in medieval Cathedrals are stain glass windows. LEGO rose windows using translucent LEGOs don’t inspire me.

Say I take photo of a stain glass window that I do like. Open in Corel Paint or Photo Shop. Scale it and print it out on a transparent stock and cut it out.

I could build a cathedral with stain glass windows to die for.

Taste varies; others may not like my windows but may like my ideas for their own MOC?
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

actually - this sounds intriguing. PUrists will probably not care for it, but heck - i'd like to see the results
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Oh yes, I would like to see it as well. I haven't checked, but I would imagine clear 1x2 bricks would be much cheaper in bulk than equal volume (not quantity) of 1x1 transparent plates of various colors. I never thought to do it, but this might actually help me out (I've been planning a small cathedral myself, actually a replica of the church I attend).

Heck, I could go so far as to actually photograph and print out my church's stain glass windows if this idea works... talk about accuracy ;)

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hmm...I'd have to see an example to know if I'd like it or not, but it definately sounds intruging. I'd love to see you try it.

Cm2
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I am also intrigued. Stain glass windows make a cathedral. I can't wait to see the results. If you look in the right places, you might even be able to find the actually windows from specific cathedrals.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I would love to see how this turns out. This sounds like a great idea. If possible, I may borrow it. If not... it'd still be great to look at.
Buford
Laborer

Post by Buford »

The 1*4*5 half arches have lips or ribs underneath one could use to locate a film. As much as I like churches and stain glass I see other applications.

Everyone seems to have their own motif. Say someone likes that painting of dogs playing poker. Once printed on a transparency it would be a stain glass window.

I ordered some “inverted arches” PN 30099 today, combined with PN 2339 one can make a BIG circle in a wall and make a “rose window” above the church entrance.

Not everyone builds churches, this isn’t “classic-church” maybe you guys can find other uses as well?
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

That solution to the problem of stained glass windows is very interesting, good thinking on your part. I'd really like to see the end result.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Buford
Laborer

Post by Buford »

I have read & re-read the David Macaulay book Cathedral a few times recently. It helps to know a little cathedral architecture before I try to build one. I am still inspired by a few really large churches/ cathedrals on brick shelf.

After re-reading David Macaulay I think I can use 2*n bricks in a lot more places. So I ordered 6 dozen more 1*4*5 arches, 5 large 48*48 base plates and $250 worth of 1*n bricks & misc and a ton of red roof slopes.

One can not order talent. But I am not yet giving up either.

I found this example particularly inspiring:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=27760

I think if the wall below the windows is 2 pin wide, I can locate the bottom between a exterior slope and an interior tile.
Section8
Villein

Post by Section8 »

Buford wrote: Not everyone builds churches, this isn’t “classic-church” maybe you guys can find other uses as well?

If you build a castle with a keep, that would be a good place for stained glass, in the great hall or in the private chapel.

just my 2 cents
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

I think it will not work, unless you redraw it (in another layer with a photograph as a fixed background).

Pictures rarely show stain glass windows at right angles to the picture's surface (if possible at all because of the effects of perspective), and you have to keep in mind it's something transculent recorded in a opaque image, which is then printed on something transculent again. So, i think it may look rather awkward. If you're using a photograph i think you'd rather just print it onto paper instead of a solid sheet.

But, I think if you'd redraw the image with colorful, solid colors, and then print it onto a transparent sheet, it may look really great.
Whatever you do, don't.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Buford,

Don't forget this massive recreation of the Cologne cathedral, recently unveiled by Jurgen at a German AFOL convention (1000SteineLand):

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=90208

And this of the Santa Maria della Sallute in Venice by Holger Matthes:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=89644

Bruce
Buford
Laborer

Post by Buford »

Wow!!

Why can’t I find those why I search Brickshelf?

Those are great! Way beyond my skills & budget but I’m not to proud to pick up ideas.

Thank you Bruce,

Nice dome too, I was looking for examples of domes too.
==============

Teup,

Yes I understand some of the issues, I collect photos of stain glass windows and getting a photo sans perspective seems impossible.

I may borrow your “plan B”

>But, I think if you'd redraw the image with colorful, solid colors, and then print it onto a transparent sheet, it may look really great.

For now all my blank transparencies have a blue cast, I would need to hit up office depot.

I think I can find good photos of Rose windows and that may be my first attempt,

Thanks Teup,
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

Do you have Adobe Illustrator or anything (if you don't, don't bother getting it, it's rather nasty to learn :P )? Or some other vector based program? I think that will work great when drawing over a photograph, since all lego prints are vectors instead of pixel bitmaps (imagine a pixel image on a fig's head :lol: ), and it makes it really clean and stylized, lego-like, i predict... i hope... whatever you do, I really want to see the result :D
Whatever you do, don't.