July Activity: Suggestions

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

July Activity: Suggestions

Post by Bluesecrets »

Hey everyone. A few years ago, I tried to come up with a new activity for every month. I am pretty sure I did not complete the year, but we'd like to try this again.

July is all about suggestions for the CCC. I don't remember a time that we asked for category suggestions before. I may be completely mistaken about that, but I would like to this year.

So, until July 31st, when we'll lock this thread, we're going to accept suggestions for categories. We might pick some, none, a bunch, a few. We might take an idea and play with it a little. Who knows? But sometimes the best ideas come not from staff. (Before I was staff, I ran a bunch of contests here.)

Reply to this thread. I'm excited to hear what you think.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Re: July Activity: Suggestions

Post by jtooker »

I always liked having some civilian-focuses categories. While "Village Life" has been a popular category, something more specific would be better.
Kurojaki
Freeman

Post by Kurojaki »

A category where year/era specific parts are used. Especially I see it as a possibility to give some love to 'classic castle'. Not too long time ago I went through the Idea Book articles on CC articles page, and now finally somehow the most recent topic on the board made me think about this... It could be made easier (if needed) by allowing the use of bley bricks etc. But it also could be more specific: for an example create a building x / scene y using bricks from years blah blah

I'm not sure if there was something exactly like this before, but I remember there being a category where more recent sets were re-designed using pieces from 70's/80's?

Apart from this I don't have any ideas yet, but I'll be thinking and hopefully write up more soon
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Kurojaki wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:29 pm A category where year/era specific parts are used. Especially I see it as a possibility to give some love to 'classic castle'. Not too long time ago I went through the Idea Book articles on CC articles page, and now finally somehow the most recent topic on the board made me think about this... It could be made easier (if needed) by allowing the use of bley bricks etc. But it also could be more specific: for an example create a building x / scene y using bricks from years blah blah

I'm not sure if there was something exactly like this before, but I remember there being a category where more recent sets were re-designed using pieces from 70's/80's?

Apart from this I don't have any ideas yet, but I'll be thinking and hopefully write up more soon
A few years ago there was a category where the premise was to recreate a more modern type castle set in the style of the 80s. I remember I took the KK2 set Citadel of Orlan for my entry.

I certainly like this idea. Try to build a MOC that wouldn't look out of place at all in an era of Castle sets.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

I second jtooker on always appreciating civilian based categories. Maybe one focused on medieval farming and husbandry?
Churches, monasteries, nunneries, and so on are also really fun to see represented in LEGO.

After reading Kurojaki and Elephant Knight's posts, one idea that came to mind was a category where you are creating new 'sets' in the style of a specific faction. For instance you might build a mighty catapult for the Bull Knights, a hidden supply cache for the Forestmen, or a summer residence for the Lion Knights. Essentially expanding factions with models built in the style of their official sets. That way it gives a lot more freedom to explore new things rather than having to reference the same pool of existing castle sets, which have often been revamped numerous times before.
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/