Weekly Set Review: Castle Mini-Figures (1981)

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Castle Mini-Figures (1981)

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 0016 Castle Mini-Figures.

This pack of three minifigures was released by Samsonite in Canada, probably in 1981. It is extremely rare and includes two set 383 soldiers and one 677 soldier. The castle pack was released concurrently with 0016 Space and 0016 Town minifigure packs.

forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Well, defineately never got this one. :wink: But it looks like a great army builder. Better then some sets today.

an 9.9/10, because the could have included five figs. :P
Space rocks.
castlebrickman
Apprentice

cool

Post by castlebrickman »

ooo yah soooooooooooo darn want it 5/10
rare figs 8) :D :lol:
Last edited by castlebrickman on Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my site www.piratebricks.com
The LEGO Pirate Resource!!!
swordfish
Peasant

Post by swordfish »

I really like these figs. Also minifig packs are alsways cool. I don't think I actually own this set but I do have the figs (from a big lot of lego I got from someone)
mcrankinchuk
Villein

Post by mcrankinchuk »

Great figs, great helmets and great ABS swords. If only I were able to pick a few of these up. Too bad I was just a few years short of entering the world. :P

I'd give it a 9.5/10 just for the fact that it's an awesome army builder and great for adding good weapons/helmets to your collection. It would be cool if there was another fig but that would have been my only gripe.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I don't think this set is all too stellar. Lego has released plenty of mini-fig packs better than this one, even back then! Browsing through the archives I noticed a set similar to this one, although it included more knights (some with the cool pre-grilled helmets) that I would rather have. I would also consider the Knight's Procession to be a mini-fig pack that is supperior to this one.

On the whole this isn't bad, but it lacks at least two mini-figures, and there isn't much as far as variety (all the figs look basically the same. They should've thrown in a knight).

Overall, 6 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Hmmm...
There aren't enough figs to really interest me. I mean I would buy it, but they could have done better, like added a few more figs. 7/10
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Nice and simple. So little to it, that there's really nothing to complain about because there are no unneeded parts. Man, if they would only put out Viking fig packs like that...

Also, talk about timing; the red/dark red scheme for the figs really goes with the Valentine's Day decorations on the main page.

D-Man
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Beautiful army builder. Light grey swords and helms! Generic soldiers from an awesome era! No building pieces, at all, but that's good. What ever happened to the days of MINIFIG sets?

EDIT: After 5 years of thought on the matter, I'm inclined now to disagree with myself. It's still a beautiful collection of figs, given their era, but it's not stellar. The lack of shields is, even for that era, a bit disappointing. Other than that, it's not greatly faultable (though there were axes in those days...), but neither is it tremendously fabulous.

Parts: N/A
Playability: 8/10 (3 factions after all)
Figs/Accessories: 8.5/10
Design (contemporary): 9/10
Design (universal): 7.5/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall Score: 8.2/10 (B+)
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

What can we really review about minifig sets, that hasn't already been said? Nice army builder... wish Lego would do them now... etc. etc.

I never owned this set. I don't think I had any of the first wave of Castle stuff... Are those helmets light grey? That would be nice to have a few of those, if so.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

This is really getting some high scores from people!

I like the figures, but there were better sets which included these guys. The only really redeeming feature for this set is that it is incredibly rare. These guys don't even have shields! That being said, 677 (Knight's procession, and 383 (Knight's Tournament) are both better sets.

As a set:
3/10

As a collectable:
10/10

(Does anybody on these boards own this set? More importantly, does anybody have the box for this set?)

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

I can't call this set awesome.... It is interesting but I prefer the sets after 1984 (until 1992).
The use of colors is very successful. Nice combinations......
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Mr. D wrote:Also, talk about timing; the red/dark red scheme for the figs really goes with the Valentine's Day decorations on the main page.
That was my plan :)
ezehogan wrote:Browsing through the archives I noticed a set similar to this one, although it included more knights (some with the cool pre-grilled helmets) that I would rather have. I would also consider the Knight's Procession to be a mini-fig pack that is supperior to this one.
When these sets were released in Canada there were also small packs of Town and Space figures. It was just a way to buy less figures if you wanted less (and a cheaper price).
there isn't much as far as variety (all the figs look basically the same. They should've thrown in a knight).
All soldiers from this time period look the same ;) They do all have different color torsos and legs. Again this was the smallest minifig pack. Larger ones such as 6002 and 15 were available also.

My thoughts: I like this minifigure pack for its simplicity and the selection of figures with more traditional heraldry. Shields would have been nice though.

Edit:
(Does anybody on these boards own this set? More importantly, does anybody have the box for this set?)
The box was a clear plastic one with a top cardboard tag. I do not think that anyone owns one (although someone must have the cardboard portion because there is a scan of it on lugnet). LEGO's vault has copies of the town and space versions of 0016, but not the castle version. Several collectors have assembled versions of the set, but no packaging.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I'd say it was a good set but alittle plain in comparison to others. 7/10
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Wow...lego doesn't even have a copy.

The figs are awesome, but the rarity is what makes this stand out.

And you know it is very possible, someone out there, especially in Canada has one sitting away sealed with a pile of other junk, maybe never to see the light.

I bet lego would pay a lot for this set, for their own vault and history of the company.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]