Nuernberg Messe Pictures

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Nuernberg Messe Pictures

Post by Teh Stud »

heikoloogi on 1000steine.com posted some new pictures from the Messe. There is a Vikings folder with 21 pictures, a KK2 folder, and a Harry Potter folder:

http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/Messe-2005

Some pretty cool stuff!
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

A couple comments:
In the link below, we see a rub 'n' buffed Shadow Knight helm, but in the catalog picture in another thread, we see rub 'n' buffed flared helms... which one do you think we'll get, or do you think we'll get both?
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album384/Messe_027

In the next link, we see one of the best torso designs we've seen in a very long time. It looks like my sigfig just might be getting a new-gray torso pretty soon...
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album385/Messe_058
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

I noticed that torso, too. I was thinking of making a hero out of it. The shields look awesome; I can use some for my Mongol cavalry. Of course I'll use most of them for my soon to be large Viking horde!

Edit- I was going to complain about the "overly dominant axe" on the chainmail torso, but forgot. I agree with Two-Tonic Knight.
Last edited by Dragonlord Esq. on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Dragonlord Esq. wrote:The shields look awesome;
Agreed on this as well. I was thinking of replacing my tried and true Falcon shield with the black and yellow round shield with the trinity on it. The others are cool too, and I especially like the one with runes on it.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I would hope that people would not create confusion by using a trademarked name (Rub'N Buff - a wax-based metallic paste/paint) to describe a look that LEGO has either applied to the surface of their plastic, or has cast the entire piece in. Call it mottled metallic, or rough metallic, or something else, please. (Thus endeth the sermon of the High Priest of Rub'N Buff) 8)

I do like the shields very much (the real shields, not the decorative ones). The mottled metallic pieces I'll have to see first hand to really decide. The axes are a little big, but overall look sharp. We finally have some good looks at some of the torsos. The scale armor is very nice. We have an interesting attempt at chain - it's interesting to see the stylized LEGO version vs. my own torso print interpretation of chain. Unfortunately, they put a really obscuring and overly dominant axe on the print. The other two are harder to tell, but I think the studded brigadine of the Dark Forest sets would have worked better here. I'm curious about the coif - it seems to be a print on the head (or is it the face that is entirely printed on a gray head?).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:I'm curious about the coif - it seems to be a print on the head (or is it the face that is entirely printed on a gray head?).
I think it's a face printed on a grey head, similar to the Green Goblin head in the Spider-Man sets.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:I'm curious about the coif - it seems to be a print on the head (or is it the face that is entirely printed on a gray head?).
Given LEGO's history and the example of the Green Goblin minifig, I'm going with option B.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

This torso is also very cool. I'm sensing a Gimli in the making? After viewing a lot of the closeups of the figs I am very excited about the Viking line. Maybe they will continue this good fortune of events? The axes and other accesories are looking great. I think the only downside to this line is all the Bionicle pieces.
Space rocks.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

forester3291 wrote:This torso is also very cool.
I like the chain aspect of that torso, as well as the belt, but I've always hated torsos with weapons printed directly on them, especially weapons that are specific to any one culture.
For example, I love all of the Orient Expedition India torsos, if only they didn't have those knives stuck in the belts.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I also dislike printed weapons, simply because you can't remove them. I mean, how dumb is it if someone dies when they haven't even pulled a big freaking ax off of their chest?

Also, I'm upset about the coif -- that means that they yellow face will probably be of lower quality -- I got a Green Goblin with a nearly completely faded face once.

Oh, yes, I also like the scale-mail shirt, and the shields.

The KK2 Ballista (viewable here:http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album384/Messe_045) is pretty cool. Especially next to that dumb horse-mounted catapault. :) But hey, LEGO has done more unrealistic things before(such as putting a cannon on a rowboat).

At least the KK2 castle has some interior, while still remaining well-built.

Also, in this picture: http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album384/Messe_026, does it look like Rascus has metallic armor?

Harry Potter yields scrolls, grey quills(as opposed to the American Indian ones), a few good shilds, interesting-looking merpeople(I like the red hair, and the face will make a very good orc-face, but if that is a sticker on the tail ... actually, that might be a good thing), someone with a shark's head(sweet),and some kind of cool-looking folding room.
Last edited by Sir_Marcellus on Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

doctorsparkles wrote:
forester3291 wrote:This torso is also very cool.
I like the chain aspect of that torso, as well as the belt, but I've always hated torsos with weapons printed directly on them, especially weapons that are specific to any one culture.
For example, I love all of the Orient Expedition India torsos, if only they didn't have those knives stuck in the belts.
I couldn't agree with you more. It always seemed weird to me to have a weapon printed right on to the torso. I mean, that torso looks o.k., but would so much better if it didn't have the axe on it.

I still dont understand why the duplo castle has a better structure than the kk2 one?
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks for the pics, they are really informative.

Did anyone elso notice the new plates shown in this picture: http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/album385/Messe_050?

D-Man
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Mr D: what new plates? Those 4x6s? I do notice that it's in a funky colour I don't recognize, though. Sort of a caramel....

*Vikings*

Anyone else notice the dark-grey treasure chest? :)

I'm really liking some of those new torso designs. :D Distinctive, yet ambiguous enough to use multiples of in a MOC.

As to the heads, considering that the neck portion is grey, I would say that the face is printed on a grey head.

That Viking Longboat is waaay bigger than I expected(at least wider). I don't care for the gatling catapult, or divers cage( :P ), but that's easily remedied.

The smaller longboat is...interesting. Very ingenious to use 2 rowboats back to back. I was kind of hoping for a smaller longboat hull, but it's always good to see Lego using old pieces instead of new molds. Thisdude is sweet....It's perfect for army builders. The dragon in it could use some help though. Oh well...the wings might be of use, provided they're not simply ewok glider wings.

The fortress...meh, it's not so great. But it's got tons of customizing potential, so I'm not complaining. :D

The more I look at those mottled mettalic pieces, the more it looks like silver paint spattered on black pieces. Some(such as the Euro armor) have a heavy spattering, and are almost completely silver, and others(such as the axe) are not as heavily spattered, and hence appear more black. Notice the boulder here. It definately seems to sustain this theory.

*Harry Potter*

Hmm...I'm liking the silver pan, and that 2x2 scroll tile is awesome. :D I may be the only one, but I love that ship. Looks very galleon-ish to me. And I do believe those are new rigging pieces...

And that Deer/Castle triangle shield....*drools*

I love those black baby dragons. And the roosting bat-lol! That skeleton with droid legs is creeping me out though. It's too tall and skinny for a minifig...*shudders*

A yellow crab...The Merperson is....interesting. I don't see a need for a Merperson in my MOCing future, but others might find it handy. What is that trans-blue piece on the clear head over the green door? Now that I think about it, the shark head piece might come in handy...lol. And I love the new trans-green seaweed. Looks alot better than the old regular green ones. I wonder if it's ABS, or still that old rubbery stuff.

*KK2*

The only thing I've seen worthwhile so far, besides of course armor/helmets/etc, is the 1x1 columns in lt grey. Also possibly the doc ock technic piece in brown.

All in all: 2005 is a good year to be a Lego fan. 8)

Cm2
Last edited by porschecm2 on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!