Weekly Set Review: Guarded Treasury

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Guarded Treasury

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6094 Guarded Treasury.

Guarded Treasury was released in 2000 for Knight's Kingdom. A Bull's archer is prevented from robbing the treasury by falling axes and stones. The soldier guards the archer in the jail. Various accesssories are included.

Last edited by architect on Sat May 12, 2007 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

I like this set, it doesn't have the greatest design, but I think it looks O.K. plus you get some neat figs and some good castle parts.

6/10
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Meh. Nothing remarkable here. We've got two nice mini-figs, and a small assortment of bricks. The trap is awkward (and overused in this line). there aren't really any pieces that I would go out of my way to purchase though.

6/10
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Well, it was alright for figs and parts, but there's nothing memorable or special here.

7/10
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Good little set nothing exciting. Good figs, ok parts. 7/10
(600 posts 8) )
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

In sets like this you easily see the decay of Lego system. So few parts mostly big ones. The blue roof is suitable to the castle but would it kill lego to put an extra flag above it. The good thing in this set (besides the minifig) is the modulerty offer that this set give combining with 6098, don't get me wrong - it's pretty lame comapre to older models but still it gives modulerty.

6/10 and it's too high for this set.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

This set doesn't seem too bad, but it is very peculiar. That sword is "guarded" by some falling axes, but the back of the structure looks to have an opening large enough for someone to climb through with ease. Maybe there is a trap back there, I'm not sure as I don't have the set. I also find it odd that an item of importance would be stored in this tiny little building and rely only on traps to protect it, and not even include a door.

The jail isn't too bad but is pretty unrealistic. A prisoner is suppossed to be kept within a secure building. This is not secure at all. However, this is a mistake Lego has made with several of their sets in the past, as they seem facinated with jail cells.

The problem with a set like this, as compared to say, The Black Monarch's Ghost, is that you don't really know what to do with it. The Black Monarch's Ghost was meant to be a little guard house outside of a larger castle, and as that it functions well. With this set, there would be no reason to put the jail next to a larger castle, as the larger set would likely house a jail inside of the building itself. The "treasury" just seems awkward. Although these sets were built with modularity (is that a word?) in mind, they just aren't very useful.

But, at least the set has some decent pieces, so it isn't a total loss.

6 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Hated this set. How many jail cell doors do you need? How many dark grey turret tops do you need? How many tan lion's head pieces do you need?

The figures are great, but not the piece selection....
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

I never thought this set made any sense. What is the upper tower for? Is there even a way to get up there? I've never been a fan of dark gray castle pieces anyway.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

I seem like the only one to be defending this set. I like it. I like it so much I bought it 3 times(I also bought the defense archer 10 times 8) ). It has good pieces in my opinion, and an easy way to get some figs and weapons.

8/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

So few parts mostly big ones.
I agree with this statement completly - The set is small enough as it is... they could at least make it a collection of small bricks... this set seems less like building with Lego and more like putting together a small children's toy, like when I used to get a He-Man set like Castle Grayskull or something... the building spirit of Lego is kind of lost on this set...

but nice figs ~ :?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Rosh.Gonff
Apprentice

Post by Rosh.Gonff »

HeneryTheV you are not alone! i also really like this set.
KKI is like the greatest thing created, and this set rocks! you get two AWESOME figs and some great little buildings!
this is my idea of what a good set should be like :D :D . i dont know why some of you dont like it :roll: :? .
Gonff Prince of Mousethieves

You say you will fight to the last man. I have more last men then you
quiksand
Peasant

Post by quiksand »

For reals, not a great set. TLC lost all creativety way before this set. The figures are not bad, but the price for a couple of figs and some crappy molded wall pieces? Not worth it by five dollars. A nerd collectors piece. :twisted:

3/10.
Why do you need all those minifigs? You'll poke your eye out!
Cyclonis
Bailiff

Post by Cyclonis »

I recieved this set for christmas, and might i say that this set is quite the KK1 style that I was looking for :wink: This set has some nice peices to it. I used these pieces to buily myself a treasure keep, with the help of some other basic black bricks.
The minifigs are good, and the shields are great, as i am fond of all the lego shields.

Overall, i'd give this set an 8/10.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

It's a good collection of rather good pieces. I'm not exactly speaking about the jail door, turret form part and turret tops of course, but the light and dark gray parts as well as the beige parts are useful. The look of the model is ... boring. Darn juniorization.
Rosh.Gonff wrote:KKI is like the greatest thing created, and this set rocks!
OK, I'll take this for sarcasm.
this is my idea of what a good set should be like :D :D . i dont know why some of you dont like it :roll: :? .
Because many of us lived to see the truly great sets. We were lucky.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill