Fright Knights vs. DM

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Graynar
Gentleman

Fright Knights vs. DM

Post by Graynar »

Hi guys!

The mighty Dragon Masters vs. the wicked magic of the Fright Knights! Both fantasy Lego Castle themes.

Yes, that's right, which theme do you like better?

Personally, I like the Fright nights better because of the Willa's castle/mansion. I've seen it in person and its pretty cool. I also like the Fright Knights better because of the soldiers the sets contain.

Any way, feel free to discuss! :D
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I liked them both when they were out, and still do.

I suppose if I had to choose just one theme though - it would be Dragon Masters.

In my opinion, Dragon Masters had better overall set quality, and the 'classical' green dragons.

But I love Fright Knights. Evil-looking Black Dragons, the somber Bat Lord, bats, cool new soldier designs, a funky witch with crystal ball, etc.

But if I had to pick just one series - well classical green dragons and wizards win out over witches and black dragons. Must be the Arthurian-fan in me.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I liked the Dragon Masters a lot when I was younger. I went into my dark age around when the Fright Night stuff came out. The black dragon was pretty cool if you put wings on it other than trans orange.

In retrospect, I think that the Dragon Masters were cooler. Their helmets were better than that thing with the bat wings (which I am proud to say, I still have yet to own one). The only good thing about the Fright Night faction is the neutral barding.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I prefer the Dragon Masters. Not just because I grew up around them, but because they introduced so much stuff:

- Wizards
- Beards
- Wands
- Halberds
- Dragons
- Dragon helms
- Cloaks
- Fire

And a lot more...

That said, I also liked the Fright Knights. Sure they were weird, but then, they were supposed to be weird. The set designs were wobbly, but came with tons of useful pieces. Basil the Batlord was a cool fig, like all the figs in the Fright Knight line. And why do people hate Willa so much? Because she's ugly? Um...aren't witches meant to be ugly? But that said, Majisto's magic was obviously superior. :wink:

- Matt
Heeck
Serf

Post by Heeck »

The Dragon Masters for me, too. I not only grew up with them, but they were basically the first Lego sets that I actually got around to picking up. Better set quality than the Fright Knights. When I saw the FKs, I thought, "Um...what happened to my Royal Knights? I don't want these...". I still think this. For one, it introduced many new elements, my favorites being the beard and dragons. I defend both themes, however, in the sense that people bash them for the fantasy feel of the Dragons and magic users. Just because it isn't realistic doesn't mean that it isn't fun. I mean, nobody bashes Harry Potter near as much, you know?
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Majisto vs. Willa:
Majisto. I don't think this needs an explanation. Willa has a cool cape, though.

Dragon Helm vs. Bat Wing
Bat wing. Great to modify. Perhaps you had to see Sergei Eisenstiein's Alexander Nevsky.

Spider Cloak vs Dragon Cloak
Spider cloak. Yes, the double-hole system works better.

Green Dragon vs. Black Dragon.
Black - you can use the blsck wings if you like to get the all-black look. There are no green wings.

Torso prints
Fright Knights. There are a number of very good Torso prints for the Kright Knights, the Dragon Master specific ones are univesally ugly.

Sets
Cant say I really cared for either line for the most part.

Overall
Fright Knights - but I'm figure oriented, so take that with several grains of salt.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I'd go for Fright Knights. The armor patterns on some of the Dragon Masters makes them look like armored jesters.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Fright Knights had just come out when I first got really into Lego. I guess it's that sentiment that makes me choose them over Dragon Masters (that and the figs are way cool).
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

This is a really interesting question that I really never thought of. I think there are different groups of people that point to either DM or FK as the first indication LEGO castle was "going downhill" - and many point to one or the other as what made them go into a dark age.

I think both are pretty cool though, and it's a tough question for me. Fright Knights remind me of the baddies that Connan the Barbarian used to fight, tough and ruthless gothic conquerers.

Dragon Masters are to me classic fantasy baddies riding dragons and led by wizards. You gotta love 'em.

I guess I would choose the Dragon Masters for two reasons. The Green Dragon w/ red wings, which I prefer over the cool black dragon (w/ black wings), and Magisto, the long-overdue merlin-like minfig, finally in LEGO format.

Both are good, although neither has a very good fortress.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Sir-Boris
Laborer

Post by Sir-Boris »

I like the Dragon Masters more. That is what was in stores when I started my collection and that is what I have the most of. I think the DM sets were a lot stabler than the Fright Knights.

Nate
Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world.
- Albert Einstein
Sibley
Foot Soldier

Post by Sibley »

For figs, I'll choose Fright Knights. The only thing I don't like about the Fright Knights figs is that they don't make a cohesive army, because there's no dominant color. However, the torsos all have great patterns that can be used in other armies. Not only that, there's the bat helmet and the goatee face on the knight, both of which are pretty cool. The Dragon Masters figs, on the other hand, Have a consistent color scheme, but not a nice one. I never really liked the blue-sleeves-on-red torsos, and the emblems on the DM torsos aren't great.

However, I think the Dragon Masters got better fortresses. I've never seen the witch's manor in person but from the pictures, I'd say that the DM sets use BURPs more effectively. Also, the larger DM castle has a nice black and grey color scheme, whereas the large FK castle is all over the place, with light grey, dark grey, red, and black.
~Dan Sibley
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DSibley]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1225]MOCPages[/url] | [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsibley/]Flickr[/url]
The Yeti
Laborer

Post by The Yeti »

Dragon masters all the way. my favorite faction ( for minifigs). i dont like any of the buildings, but the figs are the best. i have never seen a better knight then a fully color coordinated DM with all the accesores such as the feathers, shield cape, swords and dont forget the horse bardings.
Funny things DO happen--just never when you need them...
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Sir Kohran wrote:...And why do people hate Willa so much? Because she's ugly? Um...aren't witches meant to be ugly?
I'm pretty sure that the reason Willa is so disliked is her face; it's too distinctive. Think of most of the other heads from that era; they can be used for many different characters and in many different time-periods. But Willa's head, well, about the only other thing it's good for is a mother-in-law. :wink: That's why people don't like it; it isn't versatile enough (not at all really)

D-man
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I have but one thing to say in this:

DRAGON MASTERS RULE!!!

Dragon Masters are so much better than the fright knights. They had a way better leader, Majisto, and way cooler soldiers. Plus, they were the first line to have to all-usefull Dragon helm. Plus halberds, which I like. Perhaps I am biased, but I love the DMs.
Sir Kohran wrote:And why do people hate Willa so much? Because she's ugly? Um...aren't witches meant to be ugly?
That can be answered simply, it was too generic. That was the fall of the Fright Knights. They were too regular, run of the mill, bad guys. The witch was your regular, ugly, black pointed hat, nut case. The whole line was too uninventive. It was just a scary, hunted, batty place. Less than appealing, espically when millions of other toys like this can be gotten at halloween.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Well... I really like the DMs, especially the helmets. The coolest LEGO helmets in my opinion. But I like the Fright Knights as well. Got to be the vampire-fan in me :P
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis