New shades of grey!

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Sir Terrance
Councilor

New shades of grey!

Post by Sir Terrance »

I saw a picture on brickshelf.com and in it were the 'old' grey shades and then these 'new' shades! :cry: :cry: I hope this is not true and would wreck everything if it is, so please if anyone knows anything about this, please respond.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Sir Terrence,

Welcome to Classic-Castle! :D

It has been confirmed that the 2004 sets have new light grey, dark grey, and brown. The LEGO Company is aware of the displeasure caused to fans by this decision. Right now we do not know what they will do. Perhaps bulk packs of the old colors will be offered, but this is not guaranteed.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Lego won't do anything about the new colors unless the general public compains. Specifically kids and their parents. It will be interesting to see if that happens. I personally think that it won't, and we'll be stuck with the new colors.

Unfortunately I think this will lead to the watering down of the Lego brand since the new colors look so similar to Megablocks...

:?
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

About New Greys:

Brad Justus, who used to be the Senior VP of LEGO Direct, and Jake McKee, who is Community Developer for LEGO N.America - have said they are trying to get some sort of solution concerning the greys. They don't know if this will happen or not, but I am heartened that they are trying.

I've talked with both, and they are both knowledgable of the Fan Community and it's importance to the company and are working to enhance relations between the two. I can say I know of no better allies in our 'struggle'.

They have both said the best thing to do is call LEGO and let them know your problems in a mature manner (no threats of leaving/cursing/etc) - and it will help TLG realize their error here.

And as for color=quality, I'm sorry but I dont see the connection. The new light grey looks very good to me, and the quality of the pieces themselves has not faltered in any way.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Nobody complained when the old blue in the pirate maps was changed for the rerelease of the Black Seas Barracuda(Dark Shark) :lol:
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Re: Grey shades

Post by Sir Terrance »

I guess it is true, new grey won't be all that bad, I guess. Because if you think about it REAL castles would have all sorts of colors in the walls.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

The biggest problem with the new grays is the dark gray. It looks more like gun metal gray and has a very metallic look. I have a few pieces of the new dark gray and all I can say is that I hope Space guys are buying this color off bricklink. I have a feeling I will have a lot of new dark gray to sell in the next few years.

The new light gray while offensive as a replacement color is not bad to mix with the old. It does make the old light gray look yellow, but most castles weren't pristine anyway. I don't like it, but I can live with it.

I also have a new dark gray helmet from a world city set and I hope they make a set with the euro armor in the new dark gray. Helmet and visor too so they'll match. New dark grey may suck for walls, but I think weapons and armor will look good in it.
Just an opinion.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I agree about the Dark Gray being the worst part of it, I have a few of the new Light Gray bricks and they really aren't all that bad, just make your others look yellow like Will was saying. That dark gray looks really bad from the pics though, I would never use that in a MOC. I guess to be fair I should see it in person though.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

First...is it true about the brown being changed too? I heard about it...but no one else has said anything about it...is it true or just a rumour when the new greys were first revealed?

Personally, I don't like the idea of the new colours...I know this is a castle site, and you're right about the castle walls being okay in more shades...but I try to build in all different sorts of themes and especially with space...right now I'm making a large space station thing and it would NOT be good in different shades...so think about other themes too...

I just plan on putting all the new greys I get into a separate bin...it's not like I'll have enough to build anything right anytime soon.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Brown is new too and the color cannot be politely described in my opinion. It is bad and we will leave it at that. I won't elaborate for you, but I am sure someone will.

Will
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Well I'd just be interested to know what sort of colour change it is...lighter or darker or what? Hopefully it will still be similar...but then again a second brown tone might not be an entirely bad thing...
Paco
Serf

Post by Paco »

Isn't the new brown on the new starwars cantina?
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Could you provid a contrast picture, Will? One that has both new and old brown in, I mean.

Mr. D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I will talk to Old_Republic and see if he has any of the new brown. I have seen it in person and it is has a reddish orange tint to it that makes it look very much like a form of excrement. Sorry for the language, but how else to describe it escapes me.

For me the problem will be more with minifig hair and accessories being in this new color. Well that and too many bricks in the new brown will suck too... It just doesn't look like wood. I have looked at the usual resources and it would seem no one has taken a contrasting picture yet. That doesn't mean it hasn't been done...

Anyway if Old_Republic has some I will take a contrast pic and put the link in this thread.

Will
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Hair looking like feces? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh no... *will never buy a set with Brown Hair anymore*

You know, these new colours might raise some issues on Bricklink of some people trying to pass off new colours as the old ones.