Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

*UPDATED* Book of Mormon vignettes--1st Nephi

Discussion of general LEGO topics

*UPDATED* Book of Mormon vignettes--1st Nephi

Postby eNiGMa » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:22 am

This is an idea I've been kicking around for a couple months, and it took me till this week to do something about it. Basically, I'm doing something similar to what Athos is doing; I'm taking scenes from a book of scripture and making vignettes out of them. In my case, The Book of Mormon. I haven't seen any BoM MOCs, so I figured this would be fun to try.

Just a bit of background: The Book of Mormon chronicles a family in Jerusalem shortly before the Babylonian Captivity. They are told to leave, and they sail to the Americas. From there, it goes into stories of their posterity, wars, prophets, and eventually, a visit from Jesus Christ after his resurrection.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sly-p ... phi/a1.jpg

This first vig shows Lehi being visited by a pillar of fire while he prays. It tells him many things, and he goes home (where he eventually gets told in another vision that he must leave Jerusalem). For those of you who know the Bible, this is at the time of Jeremiah the prophet.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sly-p ... phi/b1.jpg

My second vig illustrates part of Lehi's vision of the tree of life. Drowning in the river is Lehi's son, Laman, who is rebellious.

*UPDATE*

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sly-p ... phi/c1.jpg

My last vig from 1st Nephi shows one of the things that went on while Lehi's family sailed to the Americas. This was my first attempt at putting the verse in with the picture, and I think it turned out well.

Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=162984
(The verses are in the gallery text files.)

Well, that took longer than I expected! The next installments won't be so wordy, I promise. :) (I'll have better pictures, too....)

Please remember that we are here to talk about Lego. If you wish to discuss these in a "deeper" sense, please do so by PM.
Last edited by eNiGMa on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Cunningham
Blog | Facebook | MOCs
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Postby Athos » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:54 am

Interesting idea. My suggestion with the first is to vary the ground height a little more. Make it a little more like the landscaping in the second. I like how you have the guy drowning in the river.

Well, that took longer than I expected! The next installments won't be so wordy, I promise.

Transferring the text can be a real time killer can't it? :roll:

Steve
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Postby ottoatm » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:40 am

This suprised me - but it's a pretty cool idea. I've actually read this book once, and I remember the Tree of Life scene... you have to make the "tall and spacious buildings" that come crumbling down! :twisted:

Anyway, I like the pillar of fire the most, looks good and tall and the landscape is well-chosen too.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot!
CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Postby eNiGMa » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:03 pm

Thank you both for your comments. :)

Athos wrote:My suggestion with the first is to vary the ground height a little more.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll do that with my next vignettes.

Athos wrote:Transferring the text can be a real time killer can't it? :roll:

Oh yes.... :roll:

ottoatm wrote:you have to make the "tall and spacious buildings" that come crumbling down!

hehe, that would have been fun! I actually considered it, but I would have had to build a separate vignette for it (which I was too lazy to do, lol). At least I got the river, though.

I have one more vignette for 1st Nephi, but due to bad weather and my sudden realization that the kitchen light isn't good enough, the pictures are still coming. :roll: I'll update this thread when the clouds go away.
Nathan Cunningham
Blog | Facebook | MOCs
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Postby eNiGMa » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:56 pm

I hate to double post, but I've added another vig to the 1st Nephi collection. Special thanks to Scnicker for suggesting I use MS Paint to get text into the picture, and another special thanks to Athos for the idea to put text by the picture! :D
Nathan Cunningham
Blog | Facebook | MOCs
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Return to General LEGO