Vikings destined to be orphans?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
baniaj2
Villein

Vikings destined to be orphans?

Post by baniaj2 »

I am concerned that the vikings will go the way of wolfpack and be orphans:

reasons:
1. No minifig opposing force (If they exist, I have not seen them) This IIRC also occured with the launch of wolfpack...

2. Battling bionicle beasts is cool, but have they already tapped all "easy" ideas

3. From $$$ perspective, does it add to sales or only force a choice between KK2 and vikings? I know I had to choose one theme or the other...maybe not an issue for most.

4. Have not seen anything to indicate upcoming product...could just be too soon...

Either way, I would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

Thanks

--Joe
Moroder
Apprentice

Post by Moroder »

If the rumors of Lego getting back to the old castle (pre-ninja) are true, probably the viking line will disappear. A pity, I would love to see 3 or 4 years of vikings fighting their enemies. And talking about this, which would be the vikings enemies if not trolls, dragons, giants and such creatures? I wouldn't expect a minifig enemy force.
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Vikings have been VERY successful, and I don't remember what thread I saw it in (too lazy to check, lol), but Lego has said they're considering another year of them, if I remember right.

Besides, even without a minifig opposing force, there's still more room for Bionicle beasts (I can't believe I just said that....). Off the top of my head I can think of giants, trolls, and the Kraken.
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

There will be more Viking sets because the first year sold very well in multiple countries. We do not know the nature of these new sets (if they will be against more monsters or other soldiers).

Vikings are a separate but related theme. They are not the main Castle line. An example of this would be 1998 when Fright Knights sets were still being sold (and some new ones released) by LEGO at the same time as Ninja. Each theme was significantly different to be able to coexist.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Sir-Boris
Laborer

Post by Sir-Boris »

Hopefully this is not violating the TOS...

I found
this over at Bricklink. :D

Nate
Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world.
- Albert Einstein
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Sir-Boris wrote:Hopefully this is not violating the TOS...

I found
this over at Bricklink. :D

Nate
That is an unconfirmed rumor and does not have any scanned images. Our leak policy focuses more on leaked images than brief descriptions.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Geez I hope they keep the viking theme. I really would like to see another year of legend sets. Like maybe bring back the black knight era, or forestmen.
-Alan-
good times
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I really would like to see another year of legend sets. Like maybe bring back the black knight era, or forestmen.
I wouldn't harp on this line. TLG will come out with whatever sells, which hopefully includes legend sets. There's been so many rumor threads, that its hard to believe what you read. ;)

As to vikings, I did fear they would become extinct until Christmas came along. Sets that were $50 sold for over $150 on Ebay, because so many people bought them as presents. They don't need an oposing force, rather beasts to fight, and maybe some village to pillage. ;)
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Those villages to be pillaged would be an opposing force in a way ;) Anyways, I really hope they continue this line. It's the only genre that I've collected all its sets.
Belisarius
Serf

Re: Vikings destined to be orphans?

Post by Belisarius »

baniaj2 wrote: 1. No minifig opposing force (If they exist, I have not seen them)
Historically, the Vikings fought their major wars amongst themselves. I think they are the opposing force.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Re: Vikings destined to be orphans?

Post by Sir Kohran »

Belisarius wrote:
baniaj2 wrote: 1. No minifig opposing force (If they exist, I have not seen them)
Historically, the Vikings fought their major wars amongst themselves. I think they are the opposing force.
Well, they did have some pretty fierce wars with the English (thinking of Alfred the Great here), and most of Northern Europe in fact...I might be wrong here, but I think they even tried to attack the Byzantines at one point.

How about making a generic opposing force called 'knights' and have them fight the Vikings?

Or...

Have a crossover with the KK2 line! Some of the Vikings ally with the Hero Knights, whilst others join Vladek. Though that might be a bit far-fetched...

- Matt
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

LEGO may simply follow their own lead with the Western sets.

Every kid knows that Cowboys fight Indians. But every subscriber to political correctness knows that you can't have 'Native Americans' fighting Cowboys, so LEGO never advertised the Indian sets with the Western sets. In most cases, they weren't even on the same page of the catalog.

So perhaps LEGO is hoping that kids will simply do what kids do, mixing their toys together, and have the Vikings fight the KK2 if they want to.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

have the Vikings fight the KK2 if they want to.
Maybe they'd make a feast out of jellybeans :lol:
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Yes please feast on the jellybean knights. Man I really think it would be cool to have like "evil" and "good" vikings.
-Alan-
good times
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

brickboy wrote:Yes please feast on the jellybean knights
that line cracked me up, nice one!
i hope that lego will continue this line, and i think they will, sooo many beasts and monsters have yet to be made and in that case more sets and maybe some new figs (new meaning new bodies, shield and head designs etc)

and as for crossing over i think it is quite obvious who will win, vikings can hide in bushes and sneak up on them, the jelliebeans could be seen a mile of and so could only ever sneak up on a very blind very stupid guy - just a thaught
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day