Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Ninja training micro vignette

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

Ninja training micro vignette

Postby Jake, of the Palace Guard » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:53 pm

How do, y'all. Today I present to you, a micro vignette:

(Pic=gallery link)

Now for some deeplinks:

Two ninjas attack the trainee.

Tree roots and stream.

Tree top.

Entire vig, sans minifigs.

If anyone's interested, I've found a really good ninja head. He's Bandit, from Rock Raiders.

Instructor number one.

Instructor number two.

I hope you like it. :D Also, be sure to leave me lots of COnstructive criticism and comments. :wink:

Ciao for now, Jake 8)
Jake, of the Palace Guard
Laborer

Postby ottoatm » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:46 pm

It's a neat little idea you have here, that turned into a cool little vig. I always appreciate ninja vigs, especially when they are jumping and "flying" all over the place with blades raised.

The tree is an interesting idea - not too bad - I would have never considered barrels for a tree trunk, but I can't say that it looks too shabby when it's all put together.

I agree, that is a nice little mini-fig head as well.

Just wondering, why the trans-green piece down by the water?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot!
CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Postby ragnarok » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:10 pm

The figs are OK. The pirate swords look reasonable enough in a ninja MOC when there is a couple of them (although they probably appeal to me more if it was a Chinese MOC). I also like the stream and should congratulate you on the variety of details you've managed to include in such a juwellry-size MOC. Also thumbs up for the 'flying around' figs - the sense of movement is very important IMHO.

And now to the "constructive criticism" as you called it :P :
In my post on your previous creation I missed writing about the tree-tops you are using. I don't believe they fit well. May be it will be better to skip the tree top at all. A trunk, made of barrels is innovative, but have you ever seen a tree that has the same size of its trunk from the roots to the top? I hope I'm not a nasty spoiler, but there is a wonderful thread about folliage going on, which is a great source of ideas and inspiration.
ragnarok
Bailiff

Postby Jake, of the Palace Guard » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:55 am

ottoatm: I'm glad you like it, I tried to put as much movement and dynamicism into it as possible! Also, thank's for the comment about the tree, and the minifig. Oh, and the trans green piece? Well, you never see the land just merging into water, do you? It's always just a little bit swampy. 8)

ragnarok: I chose the pirate swords specifically, but with the express purpose of having them dual wield, as unfortunately, they're the only curvy swords I've got, save for one katana. I'm glad you liike how I fitted in all the details, this is why I like vigs so much. (And I am doing my CC Story in vig form too.)

Regarding the trees, I've never been very certain of how to stop it, so I just went for a bit of knarliness. However, I've seen the article that you pointed me to, and I know how to do it a bit better next time. :)

Thanks for commenting, anyone else want to have a look?
Laborer

Postby Fry_slayer » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:04 pm

Ah, all the goodies has been mentioned 8)
If there is anything else to improve it will be here in this pic
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Comma ... c02503.jpg

Instructor to the left lacks motion, he seems to be only holding up his sword while standing and for some reason the trainee is pushed back. If u would bend him forward a bit as if he is thrusting his sword it might be more dynamic -- in my oppinion.
Fry_slayer
Steward

Postby porschecm2 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Very nice. Big improvement over the original vigs you posted here. :D I, for one, like the odd shaped tree. Reminds me a really big quirky bonzai tree. Also, I love the guy flying through the air; good action. The water is kool detail, too. Keep at it!
Oh, and nice photography and editing. :)

Cm2
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
porschecm2
Councilor

Postby The dark tide » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:44 am

This is pretty cool. I also use barrels for trees in some of my MOCS.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Postby Jake, of the Palace Guard » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:59 am

Fry_slayer: I see what you mean, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

porschecm2: Firstly, thank you :D . Also, I'm glad you like the tree, it came into my head and I thought "bingo!" And yes, from my original vigs, I learnt that people wanted details on the ground, so I took steps to achieve that. As for the editing, I now have to, due to the size restriction on pictures posted. So I figured, I might as well give it a title as well, an make it look smart. 8)

The dark tide: I'm glad you like it, great minds think alike, eh? :P

Thanks for commenting everyone, I appreciate the imput. :D
Laborer

Postby kelderic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:41 pm

This is really nice. I especially like the way you did the water with trans-blue. And the trans-green merging piece. Very nice.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Postby JoshWedin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:08 pm

Hey Jake,

Great vig, sir! I have to send a link of this to my cousin, he's a ninja freak. Anyway, I like the tree. It looks like somekind of old knarly stunted tree. Its perfect. Your action is good, though the instructor could have some more motion, as Fry Slayer pointed out. But I love all the action you crammed into this little space. Great job!

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

Image The Brothers Brick
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre
Chevalier de Chèvre

Return to Castle MOCs