Rub'n Buff Armor

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Rub'n Buff Armor

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Edit in: Skip along to Page 3 to see one of the new KK2 helemts have its colored visor "rubbed" out! And further edit in another on page 4. :D

After the "white armor" look of the silver leaf, this is a technique capable of more subtlety. I took a light gray armor and black grilled helm and spray painted them black. Why spray paint the black helmet black? To give the surface that is more receptive to the metal treatment - it is much more difficult to control on bare plastic, nor will it stick as well.

Plastic usually has some kind of mold release that needs to be cleaned off for paint to stick well. It's best to put the pieces to be painted into some warm water with some mild detergent. Let it soak for a while (I usually do it overnight, but I doubt it needs to be done that long). Rinse the pieces off, make sure they are dry, and the paint will adhere better. Here's the basic prepped figure - which some may like as is:

Rub'n Buff comes in a tube and like the silver leaf, can be found at most arts and crafts stores. It's comes in a variety of metal colors (silver, gold, copper, etc). It's basically metallic powder in a soft wax base that you apply sparingly with a cloth. I actually just use my fingertip (wash hands thoroughly and don't eat anything with your fingers afterwards). Let me reemphasize sparingly - this is kinda like dry brushing. You should not be putting this on like paint - your applicator (cloth, finger, whatever) should be barely stained. It's best to start with too little rather than too much. It's probably best to have some kind of sealant coat applied, but I haven't done that yet.

And here's the finished piece with the armor remounted on a fig. I far prefer this to the silver leaf look, which is a bigger pain to do and easier to screw up. Barbie Blue armor will not survive intact in this house!
Last edited by TwoTonic Knight on Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

Nice! It looks so great! How much does this stuff cost?
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

SirCumferance wrote:Nice! It looks so great! How much does this stuff cost?

I forget - not too much, $4, give or take a buck. Actually, the black spray paint cost more (but it was worth it since it is thinned properly for miniatures).

Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

That looks wonderful indeed!! Thanks for sharing!

A question I have, though, is the durability of the paint job. I used to be really into lead miniture painting but my experience is that the paint job generally wouldn't last very long if you handle it a lot even with a coat of protective spray (and I imagine most of us handle a minifig a lot!). The black paint functions as a coat of primer I guess, but do you know how well it does compared to actual primer? Also, to those who are interested, the dry brushing method TwoTonic Knight referred to is a painting method which uses an old paint brush or toothbrush (the older the better). What you do is dip the brush into some ink ever slow slightly, then rub the head of the brush with a cloth or some tissues until pretty much all of the ink came off, then gently brush it over the surface of the helmet or armor which you're about to paint. Thanks again TwoTonic Knight for sharing the pictures.

R. B.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Red Bean wrote:That looks wonderful indeed!! Thanks for sharing!

A question I have, though, is the durability of the paint job. I used to be really into lead miniture painting but my experience is that the paint job generally wouldn't last very long if you handle it a lot even with a coat of protective spray (and I imagine most of us handle a minifig a lot!).
Simply put, almost any paint, treatment, coating, foil, whatever that you put on ABS will not be as durable as the plastic itself. Either you accept that or never modify. I have some old figs that the paint job has lasted decades (as horrifying as that sounds as I type it). I wouldn't do this to figs that the kids are gonna sling around, however, because no paint will stand up to that kind of play (as my son's dented Hot Wheels will attest to, and that is a lot tougher paint).
The black paint functions as a coat of primer I guess, but do you know how well it does compared to actual primer?
Any acryllic paint can be used as a primer - it doesn't have to have to actually say "primer". But in fact, I used Citadel Black Primer. :D

wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hi TwoTonic Knight,

I really like the look of the rub n' buff. What is the brand name for it. Living in Canada, our craft stores don't always carry all the items we hear about stateside. Some will order it in though. So a brand name is needed to get that ball rolling. Any help would be great. Thanks,

William
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

wlister wrote:Hi TwoTonic Knight,

I really like the look of the rub n' buff. What is the brand name for it. Living in Canada, our craft stores don't always carry all the items we hear about stateside. Some will order it in though. So a brand name is needed to get that ball rolling. Any help would be great. Thanks,

William
And...the brand name is...wait for it!

(drum roll)

Rub'n Buff.

http://www.amaco.com/jsps/amacohome.jsp

Click on arts and crafts and scroll down until you see Rub'n Buff Metallic Finishes.

Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

Wow, That looks great! It has a nice aged look to it, I might try this myself. I bet it would make those blank gray shields that I used Brasso on look pretty cool.

Thanks a lot for sharing.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Thanks TwoTonic Knight,

I will be looking in to buying some this week, I'll be buying some black primer too. This is almost as great as getting new castle sets that don't look like Jelly Beans.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

I almost forgot (actually I did forget). Plastic usually has some kind of mold release that needs to be cleaned off for paint to stick well. It's best to put the pieces to be painted into some warm water with some mild detergent. Let it soak for a while (I usually do it overnight, but I doubt it needs to be done that long). Rinse the pieces off, make sure they are dry, and the paint will adhere better.

Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

Ah, thanks for that bit of info! I have tried painting other things such as weapons and fig parts, and the paint never adhered too well, it would always just flake off. At first I thought it was the paint but I used 2 others and the same thing happend.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

This has the "Bronze" look I asked after in the other thread. It looks great, I'm gonna try it. The spray paint was primer is that right (the black armor did indeed look pretty darn good too)? Who knew plastic had mold?
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

The Blue knight wrote:This has the "Bronze" look I asked after in the other thread. It looks great, I'm gonna try it. The spray paint was primer is that right (the black armor did indeed look pretty darn good too)? Who knew plastic had mold?
"Primer" is not a magic ingredient added to paint - it's merely how the paint is used and whether it is appropriate for that use. Acryllic paint makes a good primer since it doesn't react with subsequent layers.

Did you mean to put a smiley behind that part about plastic having mold? :D

...and in case you didn't, plastic is formed in a mold and might have a light coating of an oily substance to help release it from the mold (so it won't stick). Putting paint on top of the oil is a doomed proposition. Even handling the plastic with your fingers will put an oily coat on it. I wasn't saying the plastic might get some fungal growth. Alas, using the english language is a risky proposition! :shock:

The Blue Knight
Merchant

What? I've had an entire Army in a Micatin bath all night! :D

(Now why doesn't the actual smiley appear?)

Yes the english language is odd. Ever notice that you park your car in a driveway, and drive your car on a parkway? If you don't need to comb through the anals of time, can you comb through an anal? :)

(Now that's just annoying, why won't the smiley appear?:)

Richard
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
The Blue Knight
Merchant

OK the smiley appears post-post (another english-ism).

I've got to go feed my new moose, and the rest of my meese too. (Goose-geese? Isn't that right?)